RStevenson

Tannery Row - Horween

I have never ordered from them.

However, I looked into it last year, and what I understand is that it's basically 13.00 per ft. + shipping + 25.00 handling fee. That's for one hide.

If you buy 100 feet or more, the price goes down, but you still have to pay the handling fee + shipping.

I have ordered from them before. There is a substantial discount when ordering 100 sq. ft. or more (I paid $8.82/sq. ft. last year). You will want to talk to Shelley Huard at Tannery Row. She is great to deal with and I really like the chromexcel that I got from them. It can take a little while for your order to be filled so best to plan ahead. It took around 3 - 4 weeks to receive the order and shipping cost on 6 sides (110 sq. ft.) was around $85.

Do you know if you can pick it up to avoid shipping costs? I live just a few miles up the road.

Thanks guys. It seems like to get a decent price ill have to go through maverick for the time being, they're even half the price of Springfield. 5.50/ft and $10/ft

Anyone know if they will split the leather for you?

Edited by RStevenson

In case you don't already know, Maverick's Horween is half price because it's second quality.

Wicket & Craig will split for you...

In case you don't already know, Maverick's Horween is half price because it's second quality.

Yeah but I'm only making small goods like wallets and accessories so I'll be able to work around imperfections pretty easy I think

Yeah but I'm only making small goods like wallets and accessories so I'll be able to work around imperfections pretty easy I think

Probably, but sometimes there are issues which affect the entire hide. I would ask them before buying. They have good customer service.

Do you know if you can pick it up to avoid shipping costs? I live just a few miles up the road.

Yes, I did it yesterday. I pick up all my orders. It's a great benefit to be able to pick sides, as well.

Probably, but sometimes there are issues which affect the entire hide. I would ask them before buying. They have good customer service.

Totally true. Erin at Maverick will even text you pics of sides. They're sometimes as good or better than sides on the shelf at the tannery!

I'm gonna give them a call this week I realllllly want some burgundy chromexcel

Yes, I did it yesterday. I pick up all my orders. It's a great benefit to be able to pick sides, as well.

Totally true. Erin at Maverick will even text you pics of sides. They're sometimes as good or better than sides on the shelf at the tannery!

I can only dream they will be nearly as good as the tannery, if so I will be very pleased!

I just bought from them a couple months ago. It seems like they "have what they have." And it was a long process to actually get an order in. They tell you what they have, you tell them what you want, then the tannery has to measure what you're getting and it takes time. I love the leather I got, for the most part. But next time, I'm going to try Wicket and Craig.

Hey guys, I was emailed this by Shelly at Tannery Row, the included chart didnt quite transfer:

The Tannery Row is the retail arm of Horween Leather Company. The Tannery Row was created to support artisans, individuals and small business owners that require smaller amounts of World-Famous Horween leather for their projects. The minimum order is 1 side or approx. 20 sq ft. If we have the leather in stock we can send it out within 2 weeks. We also offer small drum loads with a minimum order of 150 sq ft. Prices vary depending on the selection of leather.

Leather

20 ft

100 ft

500 ft

1000 ft and up

Latigo

Chromexcel

Essex & Dublin

All the above are prices per sq ft and an average side will be approximately 20 sq ft (SHF around 10 sq ft). In addition, the prices quoted above are for leathers that are 6 oz and under. If you need leather that is heavier than 6 oz we can produce it accordingly and will need to update the above for the weight required. Prices do not include shipping or handling. Orders for 20 sq ft (a single side) are based on availability at the time the order is placed

Wicket and Craig is looking pretty attractive, not only are their prices very fair ($13 vs $8.94), as Monica said they will split the leather to any size which is perfect for what I need because splitters are so damn expensive....Im strongly considering picking up a side of english bridle for my next projects... hmmmmmmm

Edited by RStevenson

Just my opinion, but the premium price difference for less than 5 hides is pretty steep. I don't mind paying a bit more for ordering in small quantity, but 50% or so is asking a lot. Not really thrilled at the prospect of waiting two weeks for something that is IN stock!

Bill

From what I've heard from people who have ordered from Tannery Row, you'd be lucky if you get it in two weeks.

@RS - I bought a side of Hermann Oak English Bridle leather from Springfield and ended up sending it back. It is ridiculously stiff. Like heavy duty posterboard. It was crazy stuff. Now, I've heard Hermann Oak is well known for the stiffness of its leather, but English Bridle just is that stiff. I was thinking the waxy stuff my horse's Bridle was made out of when I used to ride. Ha!

When I asked about it on this forum, several people said that there's a big difference between the English Bridle, the Western Bridle, and the Show Bridle (or Harness? I forget what it's called). Some of it is more hot stuffed than the other. And actual British English Bridle is a great deal more hot stuffed, and thus more waxy and pliable. I don't know how waxy or pliable because I haven't bought any yet, but there's definitely a difference. When you look at the Wicket & Craig's price list, they'll say how much or how little they are hot stuffed, and there's definitely a difference. Just saying, talk to them about it and tell them what you're hoping to get.

Did Horween say whether those price breaks are across the order or if you have to order that much of any given color/leather?

You have to order that much of a specific leather / color / thickness

Honestly it's worth a trip to Chicago of this is your business. You need to see what tannages are on the shelf in which weights and be able to ask shellie and John more questions than they'll answer on email. They occasionally have VERY special overages as well as colors of tannages you don't have chips of. They'll also let you use their deep calipers. The temper of different weights and colors of the same tannages are different.

I ended up making an order from springfield after I called them. I didn't know but they will cut any square foot you want for $10/sqft and split it for you too if it will fit in their splitter. Their website has square foot pieces listed for $18ish so I had almost ruled them out, I'm really glad I called. I've never worked with chromexcel before so I'm pretty excited.

I'm gonna give them a call this week I realllllly want some burgundy chromexcel

I can only dream they will be nearly as good as the tannery, if so I will be very pleased!

See if they'll send you pics. Some stuff is really crummy except for small pieces. Some of the CXL sides are nearly as good as firsts. With other tannages, you have to know what Horween intended in the first place — Dublin is "rustic" and even firsts have spots and drawn grain, which is absolutely gorgeous sometimes.

Let us know how your order goes.

Let's look at this from a little different perspective. I don't sell leather unless it is made-up into something, or as a favor to some local leathercrafter. Please realize that we as leathercrafters are not a lot more than a rounding error on most of the tanneries bottom lines. Louis Vuitton can order more leather at one time from a tannery than all of our orders combined. Do the tanneries want our business?, the simple answer is yes. They want us to hold leather in our hands and be inclined to order more. It is nonetheless probably a royal pain in the ass to service individual leatherworkers. I think some tanneries genuinely enjoy working with leatherworkers and that's why they do it, maybe combined with the inability to find an acceptable conduit to leatherworkers.

So, where am I going with this? I have seen price bandied about all the time on leatherworker.net. Price is important in a cost of product standpoint, but should be a secondary consideration when quality comes into the picture. Eye quality is very very important to the ultimate sale of the product. Getting the quality of leather we need for our product is more important than the price. The price can't obviously be outrageous, but it can be really high before it starts to impact our profit. Buying 10 hides at a time to get a good price is perfectly ok, as long as you can afford it, but if you can't, get together with your local leatherworkers and do a group buy.

I you are the hobby leatherworker, use the secondary market. If you have local leatherworkers, get to know them and ask if you can buy leather from them until you can shoulder a full order.

Now, about the secondary market. We are talking Tandy (TLF), Springfield Leather (SLC), Weaver, and all the rest. When starting out, deal with someone who will sell you a piece of leather for the project you are contemplating. I know SLC does this, not sure about the others. Learn the true meaning of "Tannery Run" grading. Used to be it was all different grades in a particular distribution, e.g. 4 As, 4 Bs, and 2 Cs per 10 hides, it has varied a lot over time, and for some dealers, it means whatever comes off the top of the pallet of hides. So assume the worst, hope for the best? Or just lower your standards? This stuff is pretty important to a saddlemaker, less so to a holster or belt maker, but important in some degree to everyone. Order by grade from the tannery, or ask for personal selection from the secondary market, and hold them to it, they won't learn to select if they don't get some hides back with the admonition to "try again". They learn that you will accept this but you won't accept that, and the last thing they want to do is pay shipping twice or on their dime. If you get any trouble with a return, don't use them anymore.

Last buy not least, if you learn anything it should be "Don't run out of leather". When you are down to scraps, a rush cherrie job will come in that you just can't pass-up. Your ability to fill the order quickly will usually result in you becoming a source for this kind of thing. You will spend the rest of the day trying to source the leather that will be 3 or 4 days out. Not good for a rush job which you are charging an arm and a leg for. If you have it in stock, you are in good shape, but if you don't, you need sources. Few of us will give-up our sources, I'm no exception. You need to be OUT of price mode at this point and just pay the tariff and pass it on to the customer.

Where can I get the best prices on Horween leather? That is not the question if you need it now.

Art

For what it's worth, Shellie and John Culliton both express great interest in helping small outfits grow. As far as I'm aware, Horween and Wickett & Craig are the only American tanneries that will sell someone 1 side. That's remarkable considering Horween supplies so many manufactures of diverse products, from Alden of New England, to Wilson. And honestly, both tanneries have very good prices for very good products.

Shellie is the small business rep. She's not always in the tannery, but is, in my experience, extremely helpful when I get hold of her. Yes, you'll probably get quicker service if you're a buyer for a larger outfit, but you won't get better service. Horween definitely wants to sell small outfits leather and see it's stuff out in the wild. You just have to adjust your expectations a little.

Let's look at this from a little different perspective. I don't sell leather unless it is made-up into something, or as a favor to some local leathercrafter. Please realize that we as leathercrafters are not a lot more than a rounding error on most of the tanneries bottom lines. Louis Vuitton can order more leather at one time from a tannery than all of our orders combined. Do the tanneries want our business?, the simple answer is yes. They want us to hold leather in our hands and be inclined to order more. It is nonetheless probably a royal pain in the ass to service individual leatherworkers. I think some tanneries genuinely enjoy working with leatherworkers and that's why they do it, maybe combined with the inability to find an acceptable conduit to leatherworkers.

So, where am I going with this? I have seen price bandied about all the time on leatherworker.net. Price is important in a cost of product standpoint, but should be a secondary consideration when quality comes into the picture. Eye quality is very very important to the ultimate sale of the product. Getting the quality of leather we need for our product is more important than the price. The price can't obviously be outrageous, but it can be really high before it starts to impact our profit. Buying 10 hides at a time to get a good price is perfectly ok, as long as you can afford it, but if you can't, get together with your local leatherworkers and do a group buy.

I you are the hobby leatherworker, use the secondary market. If you have local leatherworkers, get to know them and ask if you can buy leather from them until you can shoulder a full order.

Now, about the secondary market. We are talking Tandy (TLF), Springfield Leather (SLC), Weaver, and all the rest. When starting out, deal with someone who will sell you a piece of leather for the project you are contemplating. I know SLC does this, not sure about the others. Learn the true meaning of "Tannery Run" grading. Used to be it was all different grades in a particular distribution, e.g. 4 As, 4 Bs, and 2 Cs per 10 hides, it has varied a lot over time, and for some dealers, it means whatever comes off the top of the pallet of hides. So assume the worst, hope for the best? Or just lower your standards? This stuff is pretty important to a saddlemaker, less so to a holster or belt maker, but important in some degree to everyone. Order by grade from the tannery, or ask for personal selection from the secondary market, and hold them to it, they won't learn to select if they don't get some hides back with the admonition to "try again". They learn that you will accept this but you won't accept that, and the last thing they want to do is pay shipping twice or on their dime. If you get any trouble with a return, don't use them anymore.

Last buy not least, if you learn anything it should be "Don't run out of leather". When you are down to scraps, a rush cherrie job will come in that you just can't pass-up. Your ability to fill the order quickly will usually result in you becoming a source for this kind of thing. You will spend the rest of the day trying to source the leather that will be 3 or 4 days out. Not good for a rush job which you are charging an arm and a leg for. If you have it in stock, you are in good shape, but if you don't, you need sources. Few of us will give-up our sources, I'm no exception. You need to be OUT of price mode at this point and just pay the tariff and pass it on to the customer.

Where can I get the best prices on Horween leather? That is not the question if you need it now.

Art

bravo! )

just ordered a hide from them.... about 11 weeks I am told

Does anyone know if the tannery row offers shell cordovan?

Sure they do. Give a call to Shelley.