This is my 4th wallet and I wanted to try a Roper. This is my first time tooling anything, and I practiced on some scrap for about 30 minutes before diving into this. I did notice a missed stitch, which I am going to pick up...dang it! I would welcome all critique....it is the only way to grow. Is this a marketable product? I am thinking of asking $75, but I might be crazy. Your help is greatly appreciated!

post-60097-0-27147200-1427671244_thumb.j

post-60097-0-78586500-1427671274_thumb.j

:thumbsup: Nice!

You don't place the stamp end to end, you overlap a basketweave stamp. I think there's a tutorial or two on the site somewhere.

I really like the color. What did you dye it with?

The dye is "professional water stain / light brown"....Tandy stuff. Thanks for basket weave advice...I watched the Tandy tutorials with the old guy, but I will try to find the tut's on the leatherworkers site. Thanks guys

The way I did the basket weave was to draw a line down the middle on a diagonal, then stamp above the line in the middle. Next I went below the line and put the end of the stamp nest to the end of tha stamp on the top line

If you follow the basket weave video on the Tandy sight this stamp should look like this. This is Craftool Pro Stamp X2840 and is longer than some of the others. I have this same stamp and sometimes I like to use the wide spacing like you did on your wallet (especially when I have a large area to cover and I don't feel a tight weave is necessary...or I feel lazy). Another way I use this is to overlap the ends as stated by Jaymack. This will make the cross section with the knot work a little more evenly spaced and symmetrical.

Very cool...I sold 2 of these this Monday morning, with a couple of minor alterations in tooling...he wants initials and the Masonic emblem stamped. He is getting them for Christmas gifts. I think I get more enjoyment thinking that someone enjoys this product than the money. And just by coincidence I saw the Masonic stamp down at the local Tandy Saturday.

You don't place the stamp end to end, you overlap a basketweave stamp. I think there's a tutorial or two on the site somewhere.

I really like the color. What did you dye it with?

That might be the traditional way of doing it but I like the way this one turned out, different from the norm and definitely will stand out

I don't know what the proper term for this is but I call it an "extended" basket weave. I bought a sheath a few years back and this is the way it was done. Very professional job I might add and extremely difficult (for me anyway) to get everything lined up just right. The traditional, overlapping method is much easier although I am partial to the extended pattern. nice work BTW.

Lay out to overlap basket stamp impressions quite a bit and you will get much better results

To begin with I diden't notice the extended version, I just saw something I liked.

Who's to say either way is the correct way ? each have their merits (imho)

Your stitching is a bit wobbly, You did a nice job though. --------------- Wild Bill46