sharkeyfinn

Leather And Tool Suppliers In England

evening all, im an absolute newbie here, i dont have ant tools or anything yet,the only thing i do have is enthusiasm to get started, however, i lve on the south coast of england(dorset) and i really dont know quite how to proceed, i was thinking of buying a kit from tandy,but that then lleads to the problem of continuing with further projects of my own,if anyone can guide me in the right direction i would be most grateful. ;-)

First get an idea of what kind of projects you want to do. Search the web and espscially this site for how to for the project you want to do. This will give you an idea of what you will need. Get some of the basic Al Stohlman books espescially the his book on stitching. Also go to Ian Atkinson's (Leodis Leather) Home page

ianatkinson.net he has several videos and tutorials. He also has some you tube videos under Leodis Leather. There are many how to videos on Tandy's site some free and some you pay aa fee to access the premium videos. Once you decide on the type of project you want to do come back to this site find the apropriate forum and post questions. People will be happy to give you an idea of the tools and supplies you will need. Tandy starter kits can be a good way to get a start but it really depends on what you want to do.

Edited by camano ridge

^ what he said. Ian atkinson is great - also watch the nigel armitage video on saddle stitching!

I started with a craft knife, steel ruler, and some crappy nylon thread and glover's needles from the local stitch shop. Good enough to make my first watch strap though.

I bought a couple of veg-tan grade 3 kip sides (077) from http://www.leprevo.co.uk. Because it's cheap (for leather), I wasn't worried about making a mistake - and there are plenty of small projects where you can cut around the marks and scars.

I used the offcuts to practice cutting and skiving.

I also bought a veg-tan shoulder and some pigskin for lining, for when I 'got better'. I'm having great fun!

Tools I'd recommend (also make a strop and learn how to sharpen!)

one edger

two diamond awls

a stitch wheel or pricking iron

I'm using a snap-off hobby knife for cutting - actually pretty sharp once stropped, and you can change the blade frequently. Use one to learn how to sharpen - that way you don't damage an expensive knife.

YMMV :)

Edit :

also http://abbeyengland.com

Edited by Renoir

UK suppliers:

Tandy (not a fan of most of their stuff)

Le Prevo (good, but mail order is a pain)

Metropolitan Leather

Abbey England (got to register to see prices but a good selection if you know what to look for)

JT Bachelor, Islington (They will mail order over the phone)

The Identity Store (never tried, nothing especially interesting to draw me there)

Whereabouts are you in Dorset? Got some mates near Ringwood, and another in Poole.

Edited by Matt S

www.goodsjapan.com they have the best stuff and their reputaion is flawless.

thanks for the replies, ;-) im hoping to do things like phone cases, ipod covers, masquerade masks, and maybe one day some armour.i may be joining an art group and hope to exhibit ,along with other hobbies i have,so ideas about what type/thickness? of leather i would need for these starter projects would be usefull too.

matt im not far from the tank museum in bovington,not bovington itself but a few miles down the road.

thanks again.

Hi Sharkeyfinn, Pittards at Yeovil have some of the Tandy tools in their leather shop, they don't have the heavier leather but their lightweight leathers are like being in a sweetie shop with lots of colours and samples and different weights. You could also try Midgeley's at Cheddar for other heavier leather but of cause there is also Baker's at Colyton in Devon which I think is the best leather.

Hi sharkeyfinn

OK so start with a iphone case.

get some

2mm veg tanned cowhide from The Identity Store (I buy large £110 pieces as I will use it all)

2 diamond shaped awl's

pack of stitching needles

0.8mm or close to thread

If the thread is not pre waxed, get a small amount of bee's wax

edge beveller

edge burnisher (or use an antler)

Leather Dye

Leather treatment of your choice.

with the above you can create a quality iphone case. Try and buy the budget type of tools, most likely they will last you years anyway. Feel free to email your order to the shop, get them to eye ball it so ensure it will all work together, they are usually good like that.

oh - for leather dye get a box of 100 disposable gloves from ebay. *dye stains human flesh*. Who'da thought it?

oh - for leather dye get a box of 100 disposable gloves from ebay. *dye stains human flesh*. Who'da thought it?

If it won't come off your skin, that is a good sign. You want the permanant stuff.