Sign in to follow this  
Doug C

Cowboy Briefcase

WOW! Supernice that is!

The locking strap is beautifully incorporated with the floral motif.

Interesting handle, I'm guessing you have a round tubing inside and thin leather that is sewn together with a thicker leather piece inbetween and the burnished well. It would be nice to see a close up the handle.

Great work and I hope we'll see more from you, I always love wathing theese beautiful floral patterns but never seem to find time to try it out. Maybe it'll come later

Tom.

Nice briefcase. I have made quite a few along those lines. One recommendation, I always have a pocket on the back, everyone really likes that detail. Just another option to draw a little more money. Really nice case. Thanks for sharing.

TM

Doug, Outstanding! Looks great! Two questions... 1- What finish did you use? and 2- how long did that baby take to make? Thanks for posting!

Tom,

The Handle is made from a pattern in the Stohlman cases book. I think it is handle no.10.

Scouter,

1- What finish did you use? and 2- how long did that baby take to make?

I used the traditional Sheridan finish, which is: Neatlack, wait 24 hrs, followed by antique paste stain (I used Sheridan Brown on this one) and then a light coat of Tan Coat.

I didn't keep track of my time on this. I did the carving and tooling all on one Saturday and then a number of evenings during the week when I could find a little time. I would guess about 16-18 hrs.

Doug

Very nice! 'nuf said!

This is a project I finished this evening.

case_front.jpgcase_back.jpgcase_side.jpg

Time for bed.

Doug

I like the type of gussets you have for the bag. Is it one piece all the way around? Did you skive the gusset yourself or buy thinner veg tan?

ed

That case is fantastic.

very nicely done what does the inside look like are there pockets how is it finnished on the inside did you line it with some light weight leather? so many questions. very very nice the patterns flow Like to reiterate WOW!!!!

That is so nice. Great work.

That is so nice. Great work.

Very nice bag. Would you be willing to share the plans? Whoever own that bag will be the envy for a long time to come!!

Nice work.

Marlon

Like WOW i love it, all the above and more, more pics of the inside and handle please, Don

Very nice indeed!! I would very much like to make somehting like that!

Thanks for the great pics. :cowboy:

Regards,

Nick

SUPERB workmanship!!

That is definately one that anyone should be proud to carry!

I bow to your basketweave, mine always ends up wavy!!

I showed this to my wife. She said it looks like my work.

Yeah, right.

That is a beautiful briefcase! You are extremely talented!

Thanks, for the complements from everyone.

I've been gone most of the day, so I have not had time to take any more pictures of the insides and handle but I will try to do that this weekend.

The gussset is 2/3 oz vegtan, which I also used to line the inside with. I have one divider in the center that goes down to an inch and a half from the bottom. I'm not sure I'll do it that way on the next one. The gusset is not lined.

I just drew up some plans on butcher paper. I'm sure most of you could too. The bag is 16" wide, 12" high, 7" flap, allow 3" for top. The gusset is 4" wide, but the cutting width is

5 1/2" to allow for 3/8" to sew on each side and 3/4" in the center to fold around the center divider.

The carving patern I also drew up myself. I'm kind of new to drawing my own carving patterns. I learn something every time and see where I can make improvements.

like they say, practice, practice, practice.

Doug

Thanks, for the complements from everyone.

I've been gone most of the day, so I have not had time to take any more pictures of the insides and handle but I will try to do that this weekend.

The gussset is 2/3 oz vegtan, which I also used to line the inside with. I have one divider in the center that goes down to an inch and a half from the bottom. I'm not sure I'll do it that way on the next one. The gusset is not lined.

I just drew up some plans on butcher paper. I'm sure most of you could too. The bag is 16" wide, 12" high, 7" flap, allow 3" for top. The gusset is 4" wide, but the cutting width is

5 1/2" to allow for 3/8" to sew on each side and 3/4" in the center to fold around the center divider.

The carving patern I also drew up myself. I'm kind of new to drawing my own carving patterns. I learn something every time and see where I can make improvements.

like they say, practice, practice, practice.

Doug

Do you gouge a fold in the gusset for the center divider? I've seen this done in the Stohlman books.

ed

case_inside.jpghandle_1.jpg

two more pictures of the inside and the handle. I did gouge the gusset lines 3/8" in from the side and then in the center for the partition.

Doug

case_side.jpg

post-2668-1204421382_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1204421417_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1204421738_thumb.jpg

case_inside.jpghandle_1.jpg

two more pictures of the inside and the handle. I did gouge the gusset lines 3/8" in from the side and then in the center for the partition.

Doug

Great pics, Doug. Thanks. I've been wanting to make similar gussets, but I keep wondering if I'll be able to get everything to line up straight. I was in a Ghurka shop today looking at $1900 bags. Ghurka's gussets seem similar to yours in that the gusset wraps around the edge of the divider and stitched. They are about 3/4 oz I think and they are in three parts: middle and two sides that wrap around the corners. This would be a more economical approach, but the full length gusset I currently use is easier to do and is all one long piece. Sometimes I'm close to running out of hide to get all the pieces, hence a three piece gusset would be nice, but only as long as each piece is wide enough to cover all dividers and front and back face.

Is there any special technique to getting the divider to line up straight, or is it simple and straightforward to gouge a line and glue the edge of the divider into place?

Ed

This is a beautiful piece of workmanship. WOW!

Is there any special technique to getting the divider to line up straight, or is it simple and straightforward to gouge a line and glue the edge of the divider into place

Ed,

I cut the gusset material plenty long. Next I gouge the fold lines (5 fold gouges on a gusset with one divider). Case the gusset and set the fold lines with a round faced hammer and bone folder. I then temporarily fit the gusset with binder clips and mark for length, allowing 3/8 extra on each end for a folded edge.

If everything is square and you clip everything in tight you should have no problem.

Doug