Xothique

New Masks

I don't post here anywhere near as often as I should - considering I've read these forums over and over in my search for knowledge. You guys are all fantastically helpful, and I thought I'd just say a big 'thank you', from a (mostly) lurker.

... Here's a couple of my latest masks. The fox was a commission - it was a nightmare to create, but I was really pleased with the result. For the others I thought I'd get a bit ambitious and try stamping a design on a slightly thicker leather than I am used to.

Helen.

firebird.jpg

reynard.jpg

domino_natural.jpg

storm_sprite.jpg

post-5010-1224124465_thumb.jpg

post-5010-1224124722_thumb.jpg

post-5010-1224124800_thumb.jpg

post-5010-1224124848_thumb.jpg

WOW! Those are fantastic! What did you use to dye or color the leather?

Beautiful masks!

i like the textures of the stamped ones...and the fox turned out very nice...lol the way you did the nose is cute.

ken

excellent work...love the fox..the stamped masks are great...i know how hard it is to do this...all that stamping and then when it comes to molding the shape, the stamping can easily disappear!! great colors!

But when you post you sure do!!

Excellent stuff! Reading the board has earned it's points I think.

Everyone one of those is unique and marvelous. The scale masks are my favourites here but I never felt like a fox really;-) (too short tail..not open for enterpretations, weird people of the board;-)

The orangey colours is exceptional. Awsome!

Cheerish those hard to do projects because they are necessary to continue too develop new skills and how good isn't it to at least break even on a training piece!

Customer will be happy with that one.

Good to hear from you, we'll eagerly wait until next time!

Tom

splendid; impressive

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Nick - The colours I use are mostly fiebings leather dyes - I layer several colours over each other with an airbrush to get a more three dimentional effect. The orange of the fox, for example, has oxblood highlights. I also add highlights with craft acrylics - the lightening flashes on the black mask were done like this - but where possible I prefer to dye, as I think the colours are far more natural. The intense orange on the fox is due in part to the fact that my digital camera really has a problem with displaying reds - it wasn't quite that luminous bright, but it wasn't far off.

Leatheroo - Oh yeah, shaping stamped leather is not at all easy! I had quite a few failed results before I managed these. Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot coming from another very skilled mask-maker!

Tom - Thank you! It is good to treasure those difficult projects, even if they are the cause of much swearing at the time - each one is a learning curve that makes the next time so much easier.

Great job! I especially like the fox. I know how hard it is to figure out the pattern for something like that!

Wonderful masks.

I love the coloring and the stamping on the masks, good job:-)

Those are so good, I love them!

You did a great job on all of these masks Helen! Lots of variety and different techniques and they all turned out great. Thanks for sharing the pictures. You all make me want to try making a mask one of these days.

You did a great job on all of these masks Helen! Lots of variety and different techniques and they all turned out great. Thanks for sharing the pictures. You all make me want to try making a mask one of these days.

ClayB and i for one would love to see the results. I am excited at just the prospect!

Helen, fantastic masks, i love all your stuff, they are incredable; how long have you been masking? (a pointed question meaning have I got half a chance to be half as good!) the fox really captures the cheeky aspect of a fox, I love it when art (and this is ART!!)captures something intagible, a glimpse of spirit, in a peice. I get very frustrated with my stuff which looks ok but doesn't seem to come alive like yours, even your most simplistic designed mask seems to smile and suggest fun. We are not worthy!

ClayB and i for one would love to see the results. I am excited at just the prospect!

Helen, fantastic masks, i love all your stuff, they are incredable; how long have you been masking? (a pointed question meaning have I got half a chance to be half as good!) the fox really captures the cheeky aspect of a fox, I love it when art (and this is ART!!)captures something intagible, a glimpse of spirit, in a peice. I get very frustrated with my stuff which looks ok but doesn't seem to come alive like yours, even your most simplistic designed mask seems to smile and suggest fun. We are not worthy!

I'm in total agreement with Pip - outstanding!