DoubleC

Ok Way Confused, Can You Help

I'm doing a custom guitar strap and the guy wanted oak leaves and I told him I never figured him for a traditionalists. Told him I throw in some acorns and if he wanted Texas Roses it was Sheridan. He nixed the roses, and of course I did my own interpretation of oak leaves and acorns, but WHY do people do those all the time, and does it have a name or is it a style? With all the nature 'out there' why oak leaves and acorns?

My 'leaf litter' against big oak tree. Not done or even close, just carved.

Maybe because so many folks like them, hmmmmm?ferg

1341799890[/url]' post='255716']

I'm doing a custom guitar strap and the guy wanted oak leaves and I told him I never figured him for a traditionalists. Told him I throw in some acorns and if he wanted Texas Roses it was Sheridan. He nixed the roses, and of course I did my own interpretation of oak leaves and acorns, but WHY do people do those all the time, and does it have a name or is it a style? With all the nature 'out there' why oak leaves and acorns?

My 'leaf litter' against big oak tree. Not done or even close, just carved.

Just oak leaves? Not maple, or lilac, or.......Anyway so it's not a style then? Tbhanks ferg

Sheridan is a circular style of floral. Flower in the center, vines and leaves rotating around. Western floral is more common in the older patterns (like many of the Stohlman patterns), it is a lot simpler, less busy style. many call western floral Sheridan because the name Sheridan sounds better. What you have done is not either one, knife cuts only one aspect of tooling.

post-2349-021647600 1341802363_thumb.jpg

knife cuts only one aspect of tooling.

I think she knows that since she said she was not even close being done.

Rofl, only when you burnish the back and dye it and are messy about it. I understand your confusion though Aaron, but it's all beveled, tooled and real dye on the front. still don't think MINE is any kind of style but my own, but just wondered if oak leaves and acorns were a 'style.' Still needs finish, antiquing, backing and conditioning, but this will give you an idea.

Syl, as usual you saw exactly what i wrote, thanks.

Hi Cheryl,

I think the main reason you see Oak leaves so commonly is they are a symbol of strength and longevity. Going back through the middle ages (and probably longer) Oak leaves were used as a symbol for strength and power because of the tree's longevity and strenght. A lot like the evergreen is commonly a symbol of eternal life or everlasting life. I don't think there is a 'style' name for it other than 'Oak Leaf'. I do think that us 'Northern European desendant' types quickly recognize the symbology, but maybe Polynesians or Brazilians wouldn't?

Actually as I think about it, I think for the average person seeing a cowboy riding a saddle covered with Oak leaves would probably make more sense than seeing one riding a saddle covered in Poppies. :rolleyes2:

Bob

rofl.gif Yes Bob I agree. The flowers and swirly viney things do see a little out of character albeit very pretty. Cowboys and pretty? Hmmm. Just doesn't fit some how but yet it has for over 200 years. Longevity, strength, those all make sense. thanks Bob. Cheryl

A friend of mine just told me people tool oak leaves because marijuana leaves are skinny and ugly. Probably not true, but sure was funny so thought I'd share. Cheryl

Don't forget your decorative cuts, CC. Just a few like what Aaron did.

Well FREAK, you mean like on the leaves? I cut so much on this strap I though I was gonna cut it in half, LOL. In the words of a very wise friend of mine, LORD LOVE A DUCK, what is that supposed to be. OK, More cuts, with Arron's pic in front of me. I don't know what this style is, but it's fussy and a pain in the royal asteric, grrrrr. But this is actually the most important strap I''ve done so far, so want it as poerfect as I can get it. Thanks Syl.

I think for the leaves a lot depends on what part of the country you are from, here in New England, we sell a lot of Maple leaf designs.

LOL, War I live in VT. But the guy said he 'used to live on Oak St.' so it must have a lot of memories for him, because this is what he wanted. He doesn't mind that I did it a little different than what you would normally see. I made the leaf 'litter' 8" and the middle tree the same so it takes up the middle 24 inches at least (measurements are exact) of the 42 inch strap. I'll have to do some maple leaves some time. In OH where I grew up can remember climbing many a maple tree in my tomboy youth :-) Cheryl

If you are interested in some of the symbolism associated with Man and trees, (and a lot more) get hold of a copy of "A Reverence for Wood", by Eric Sloane. I recommend all of his books, actually.

We are forever intertwined, after all. Don't we all have a trunk, limbs, and roots of out own? And a Family tree? and on and on.....

Jake

Very true Sooper