FlHobbyist

Iphone Case - What To Do About The Bottom Corners?

I've attached a couple of pictures of my first self designed iPhone case. The case body was cut from a single piece of leather and then rolled over and formed to create the case. I don't know and can't figure out what to do about the bottom corners, though I am not pleased with them.

As for the other problems with the case, I just got a Cobra 4 and I'm still learning how to use it. I've also come to the conclusion the round strap that holds the lid of the case down is maybe not such a great idea, as it is tending to warp and curl up a lot more than I thought it would.

Also, I recognize this isn't great, but I am trying to learn. I bring and show this for advice and tips, not so much to hear how bad it sucks.

As always constructive advice is welcome.

Bob

post-42218-0-04992400-1405879774_thumb.j

post-42218-0-80873500-1405879894_thumb.j

Bob I think if you'd gently curved the bottom corners you would like it more. That's the only thing I can suggest. I don't think it sucks. Cheryl

For I phones, this is the only type case I make, . . . open top, . . . bottom has stacked & glued leather to make a solid bottom about 5/8 inch tall and as thick as the phone+1/16 of an inch.

This one obviously is for a cell phone, . . . but it is all the same in the construction, . . . and is a really neat little case.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-56781900-1405883311_thumb.jp

Thanks guys, on the next one I'm going to do something different. I'm thinking of looking in Stohlmans book of how to make cases, and see if there are some ideas there.

Burnishing where you cut the corners off will help and you maybe able to blend them in a little.

If you keep the fold over design I wonder if welting the sides a bit would keep the bottom fold from being as sharp. Which might help. In the mean time, try burnishing those bottom sides with wax. It will help fill in the gaps and smooth the edge. I use a 50/50 paraffin and beeswax mix for that.

I think I'd just stitch it on all three sides.

Here is a pic of a case I did, while mine is hand stitched the principle of the case is the same. I wet the middle of the piece and then folded it & gluing the sides with cement glue and gently tapping the folded side with a hammer (have a plastic bag in between to prevent marks and discoloring). When dry I cut the rounded corners, marked the stitches and sew everything together. Then I dipped the whole case in warm water and pushed a dummy mobile phone inside (you can also wrap your mobile in kitchen plastic wrap) and let it air dry over night. When dried I put some neatsfoot oil on the leather and dyed and finished the edges (plenty of articles here on how to do that).

Conrad_Park_Mobile_Case.png

Draw a quarter circle at the corner, cut it out and stitch up to the edge.

For I phones, this is the only type case I make, . . . open top, . . . bottom has stacked & glued leather to make a solid bottom about 5/8 inch tall and as thick as the phone+1/16 of an inch.

This one obviously is for a cell phone, . . . but it is all the same in the construction, . . . and is a really neat little case.

May God bless,

Dwight

Can you show a picture of the stacked leather bottom?

Edited by petersenj20

Thanks for the comments.

It hadn't occurred to me that the edges at the bottom could be burnished and then an edge applied. I looked at doing that but came to the conclusion it would be and extreme pain.

I somewhat like the idea of rounding the bottom corners and then applying an edge.

I do think I need to gain more experience with the sewing machine, so that I can hook that corner and get closer, as I think the primary problem was that the sewing line stopped before getting to the corner.

@ConradPark - I really like what you did on your case that has a very similar design.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Edited by FlHobbyist

A little dab of water to the corners a piece of cardboard and 2 / 3 minutes or less and your done burnishing. No pain to it !!