Sign in to follow this  
Regis

How to carve an elephant?

Here is a link to an elephant and I'm trying to learn how to create textured look. Link shows original photo and then converted to grey greyscale.

QUESTION: After carving outline & main lines, what approach would you take? Would you use a knife or stamp or some combination to get the textured look on the elephant? If using stamp(s) can you give me some startoing idea(s). Or, would you go the other route and use coloring (dye/acrylic)?

Elephant-pic

Appreciate some thoughts and help.

Regis

Edited by Regis

My first thoughts would be to try some matting tools. Tandy has some numbered M655, M656, M657 or Hidecrafter has similar tools numbered E281, E282, and E283. These might give a texture similar to the elephant skin. My next thought was to see if Jan Schoonover ever did an elephant. He did, and you can see it here. http://www.sculpturedleather.com/site/4599...age/138654/site

His pose is different so I don't know if that will help you out a lot. In one of the classes that I took with him, he showed us how to make simple background tools out of wooden dowels. He just takes a piece of wooden dowel about 3 inches long and cuts random lines in the end with a small file. This would be a fairly inexpensive way to make your own texture tool and if you don't like the impression it makes, just cut it shorter and try again. I don't think I would cut the texture in with a knife. One other thing you could try is just to "draw" the texture in with a modeling tool.

Those are some ideas, someone else will probably have some others that you could try.

Clay

The E294-03 and 04 remind me of elephant hide.

Thanks for the tool suggestions. I don't have them now but, looked in catalog and can certainly see where they will help. Using what I have and improvising a little, here is scan where I am at this point. Any comments to improve look would be appreciated. This is practice and actual elephant size is about 3" X 4.5"

Elephant-early cuts and texturing

Thanks,

Regis

It's a good start. I would use a modelling spoon to smooth out the bevelling a little. I hate flat bevellers, but that technique works for me. I have a modelling spoon that Peter Main made, and it's awesome. He doesn't even use bevellers at all!

Thanks wildrose. I smoothed out the bevels but, I think I have them tooo narrow and probably need to widen or flare out more...somehow. Look a little too pronounced around the outside edge.

Here is a little further and with a little more texture.

Elephant-update1

I'm beginning to see that it will be difficult to determine when to stop texturing.

Thanks,

Regis

Better already :) I tend to fear over texturing myself. I did my first cat, from a Stohlman pattern, recently, and it was one of the toughest things for me. After such a project, I always retreat to my Celtic knots :biggrin:

Thanks wildrose. I smoothed out the bevels but, I think I have them tooo narrow and probably need to widen or flare out more...somehow. Look a little too pronounced around the outside edge.

Here is a little further and with a little more texture.

Elephant-update1

I'm beginning to see that it will be difficult to determine when to stop texturing.

Thanks,

Regis

Hi Regis,

You are doing pretty good with the elephant. Here are a few suggestions that can consider trying.

When beveling away from the animal, you should try to fade the bevel back until it blends into the background. This takes some practice. On the fore ground, usually you will use smooth figure carving bevelers. If you tilt them away from the flat edge, it helps to avoid leaving tool marks. Where your figure meets the sky area, you usually use a checkered figure carving matt tool. You could make this work with any beveler but the bigger, flatter tool you use, the less chance of getting a lot of tool marks.

Always be careful when tracing your pattern. It looks like the hind leg is narrower than the front. Small things like that are important when trying to carve animals.

The line of the belly should continue a forward across the far side leg to the near side front leg.

It looks like you used a seeder to put in the eye. That works, but be careful not to hit it too hard.

Where the feet touch the ground, you might try double beveling the lines. This means to bevel the line on both side (top and bottom). This will make it look more like the animal is stepping on the ground and not floating.

I hope you don't think I am being too critical about your carving because I am not trying to be. Just trying to pass on some of the things people have shared with me about making realistic looking animals.

Al Stohlman did a really good book called Figure Carving Finesse. Probably the best book I have seen on carving animals. Al demonstrated how to carve a multitude of different animals and textures.

Clay

Clay,

Thanks a lot and you and wildrose are telleing me exactly what I need to learn. I'm still at learning many basics. For example, I think you were pointing out foreground and background beveling. I 'think' I got into trouble right away by beveling toooo hard everywhere. Should I be beveling very little in foreground and deeper in background? Or should I make the distinction by fading wider (like you said toward the sky)? Or am I confusing this with changing to matt beveler that you mentioned for background > sky?

I did get a little sloppy on the tracing (particularly leg and tusks).

Yep, one overzelous wack in the eye!!!

I don't understand the double beveling you mentioned where the feet hit the ground???

Once I finish this elephant (with all its flaws) I'll make a new one with what I'm learning here. With this scene having at least 7 or so levels of depth perceptions (foreground to background), this is really difficult for me. And making me think of and learn a LOT more than simply outlining and slightly highlighting. It sure would be nice to be able to show all the details and dimension before any dye/painting. Then use color just a little to compliment highlights and shading.

Thank you again,

Regis

It's a good start. I would use a modelling spoon to smooth out the bevelling a little. I hate flat bevellers, but that technique works for me. I have a modelling spoon that Peter Main made, and it's awesome. He doesn't even use bevellers at all!

I'd love to learn that technique, especially with my knotwork! Any tips where I can find a book or tutorial?

[quote

I don't understand the double beveling you mentioned where the feet hit the ground???

Here is a picture to try and show what I meant by double beveling. It is kind of hard to explain, but you will get a different effect depending on which side of the line you bevel. If you bevel the bottom of the line, it may look like the foot is above the ground, floating instead of standing on it. If you bevel the top of the line, it will look like the foot is in the ground, as if it were standing in soft dirt, sand or mud. If you double bevel, it should make it look like the foot is touching the ground.

I also took a couple pictures of the home made wooden background tools and the impressions they make. They really work nice on a bigger picture where you have a lot of background to cover.

And finally, I decided that if I was going to try and tell you how to carve an elephant, maybe I should try one myself. I looked in the FIgure Carving Finesse book that I mentioned before and Al had several elephants in there. I picked one and carved it. I took a series of pictures as I was going. I will send thess off to Johanna and maybe she can post them for me. I did most of the work on the elephant I carved with just a modeling tool I think that it is probably the most important tool you can have if you are doing figures, and also is pretty important with any other carving. It has so many uses and one of the biggest is to smooth everything out. I think you will find that your second elephant will be a lot easier, and you will be able to add more detail as you go. Figure carving just takes practice, and I think that you will do well at it.

Clay

elephant_demo_027__Large_.jpg

elephant_demo_022__Large_.jpg

elephant_demo_023__Large_.jpg

elephant_demo_024__Large_.jpg

post-12-1170618747_thumb.jpg

post-12-1170618793_thumb.jpg

post-12-1170618826_thumb.jpg

post-12-1170618851_thumb.jpg

Clay,

That sure does help and I see what you mean with double beveling. Those wooden dowels are a great idea for all kinds of texturing. I've actually cut similar things on drill rod to create/match effects to stamp on gold & silver. Wood is much easier and I could easily make them to fit many situations as I go.

I will have to learn a lot more about using modeling tools though.

On the last picture, in the lower right, is that what you do with checkered figure carving matt tool where figure meets the sky (earlier post)?

Once again, thanks,

Regis

Edited by Regis

Clay,

That sure does help and I see what you mean with double beveling. Those wooden dowels are a great idea for all kinds of texturing. I've actually cut similar things on drill rod to create/match effects to stamp on gold & silver. Wood is much easier and I could easily make them to fit many situations as I go.

I will have to learn a lot more about using modeling tools though.

On the last picture, in the lower right, is that what you do with checkered figure carving matt tool where figure meets the sky (earlier post)?

Once again, thanks,

Regis

Here is the finished elephant carving. Step by step photos will follow. Hopefully they will give you some hints as to how to use the modeling tool also. By the way, I agree with Holly. Peter Main makes a really great modeling tool. I use mine on everything I carve.

Clay

elephant_demo_020__Large_.jpg

post-12-1170624642_thumb.jpg

Clay,

You've done a magnificant brief tutorial and I am greatful. It really clears up much for me. With help getting off the ground like this I better do well. I had planned on learning sound and attractive design and assembly but, I'm getting pretty hooked on carving.

I'll finish the one I'm doing tonight and start a new one tomorrow evening (with a lot more in my bag of knowledge) thanks to you.

Johanna,

Thanks so much for posting/hosting Clay's slides.

Regis

Edited by Regis

You might consider picking up a sample of the various "skins" of the elephant to see how the texture is. It's different for the main body, ears, and trunk. Then perhaps try to replicate that as best you can.