deloid

How To Sew This With A Cobra 4?

I remember being told that the Cobra 4 was capable of sewing the edge of a molded pouch similar to the one's pictured. I need to sew quite a few...any guidance would be appreciated. I have the Cobra 4.

Thanks,

Dean

post-9405-0-58495300-1392330498_thumb.jp

post-9405-0-90227800-1392330517_thumb.jp

I would leave the edge a little wide, put a right toe on sew it and trim the edge.

What they said.

Sounds like a solution. Thank you!

Yes I have a CB4500, basically the same machine, an a right toe works great. Tried a few cellphone cases an it works good

Looks like an Military Police First Aid Pouch - is it brown or black? ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Have one in black and one brown. I collect these and other similar military leatherwork such as ammo pouches.

Is the brown pouch dated?

I also collect US Military MP equipment, I have a nice range of compete leather MP sets (not for sale) and a bunch of single items like mag pouches, hand cuff pouches and so on.

Back of Brown:

U.S. Milwaukee Saddlery Co

Stamped on the inside: L-7521

Black one has a brown back:

U.S.

J.Q.M.D.

E.N.S

Edited by deloid

The black one is dyed, in 1956 the Army switched from brown to black leather so they have dyed a lot of brown equipment black.

J.Q.M.D mean Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot - but I guess you know that ;)

Pretty cool history lesson, thanks!

In making such a pouch and minimizing leather and weight, you can sew that using the left foot that rides on the edge of the leather and use the presser foot as your guide.

There's another foot you can buy from Toledo Industrial Sewing machines and maybe even from Cobra Steve.. It is called a paddle foot and they come in either left or right toe. I have both.

Paddle feet allow you to sew with the inside foot up against the raised case, on the left, while maintaining firm contact with the narrow sewing flange on the right. With a few exceptions (e.g. sharp corners), they won't push off the edge as happens with the standard right toe presser foot.

Paddle toe feet:

post-11118-0-31234400-1392874440_thumb.j

These feet may not be the same height as your current set and may require some readjustment of the large crank arm on the back of the faceplate. It takes the large hex driver that came with the Cowboy and Cobra 441 machines.

post-11118-0-01357300-1392875079_thumb.j

It's possible that no amount of adjustment of the crank on the back will bring the paddle foot all the way down, especially when sewing thin leather. If this is the case, you'll need to remove the faceplate and reposition the presser bar downward. This rarely happens to me as most of the shaped cases I sew with the paddle foot are about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick along the flange. The foot can be adjusted with the big crank arm to reach the bottom and raise the inside foot sufficiently at that thickness.

right toe

10000112_432978110166116_1281831067_n.jpg

post-39507-0-94116900-1394162343_thumb.j