Jordan

How about Pictures of Your Workshops

Pre-crash of 2008 there was a thread of photos of a bunch of workshop areas and as mine is still a work in progress I would like to see some more so I can incorporate some of ya'll's ideas into mine as I build it.

10.jpg

11.jpg

post-4868-1201910522_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201910541_thumb.jpg

I would've liked to have seen that thread. anyway, here's me little workshop. there's a little under-the-stairs storage area to the right of the large table behind the wall that the table is against too, but there was no need to take a picture and make everyone feel sorry... er... I mean, um... jealous, yeah, that's it. jealous! of me having that area. :P

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

post-5673-1201913884_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201913894_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201913903_thumb.jpg

I have changed my area around so much I am getting dizzy with it.... I dont have any up to date pix right now.... I will get some tonight and post em.... but I AINT CLEANIN UP! like everyone did in the last thread.... LOL

Ok, NO picking on me for not cleaning up....

The first four pix are from (I think) when i first moved my work area into the spare bed room.... I have re-arranged it quite a bit since....

work_station_001.jpg

work_station_002.jpg

work_station_003.jpg

work_station_004.jpg

And here are a few pix showing how my work area, not unlike cancer, has spread out and claimed more area....

Workshop_Jan_08_001.jpg

My 2 foot carving florescent light:

Workshop_Jan_08_002.jpg

Workshop_Jan_08_003.jpg

Workshop_Jan_08_004.jpg

Workshop_Jan_08_005.jpg

Workshop_Jan_08_008.jpg

post-834-1201924325_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924411_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924439_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924457_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924884_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924931_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201924992_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201925040_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201925067_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201925086_thumb.jpg

Jordan, Always love seeing people's shops. My whole basement is my "shop" as a tool junkie I tripping over 5 lathes, 4 Drill presses, 3 table saws, and just about every tool in the Craftsman catalog. :) After some time I realized I use the same 3 tools all the time! :blush:

For my Leatherwork I like to work in comfort. Don't laugh but my kitchen table is where I do most of my leatherwork. That 60 year old kitchen table is very comfortable and heck I live alone! B)

KitchenShop1.JPG

This is where I keep my Tippmann Boss, yep my Living Room! (now that's living!)

TippmannBoss1.JPG

Wolvie-Holy Cow I'm envious! Sweet collection!

"They say that a CLEAN shop is the sign of a sick mind" :D

post-5432-1201932615_thumb.jpg

post-5432-1201932714_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear i am not the only one who uses the kitchen table! The painful part is having to put everything away, then getting it out again. For some unknown reason my hubby and kids dont like eating amongst the leather, dyes and tool. I am thinking of selling one of my kids so i can have their bedroom as a work room....i have one painful teenage son going cheap! No pics...just put it all away again!

Well Ill have to clean up the Garage first before I post any Pictures should only take about let me see two weeks. Wolvenstien must have taken you hours to clean if not I envy that you are so organized and such a neat person.

Edited by william

this is un cleaned from 2 weeks work

P2150010.JPG

post-1906-1201964434_thumb.jpg

All of you have nice shops and Luke, you're being modest. What about the other camera angles (and room)?? Mine is split between desk in my office in house and some counter space & torro in the garage.

I started off in the kitchen... but the wife refused to allow me to use the table (because she knew once I laid claim to it, it would forever be lost.... Then my mom who lived with us passed away, and I slowly cleaned out her room and finally decided to move into it...

Here's a bit of my workshop. I like using magnets to organize tools. I have a bunch of small nickel plated magnets, which I'll post pics of later, stuck all over the place, including my 441, to hold up notes, neeldes, screws, light tools, etc.

Ed

mag_strip1.jpg

post-853-1201973026_thumb.jpg

ok well here are some pics of my shop. this comment kind of flows over into another thread that I had commented on yesterday, about my version of the al stohlman bench. like I said in that thread, the general construction of that bench is complete, the only thing left to do is build the cabinet doors. my co-worker is going to come over and freehand draw the pictorials that were on al stohlmans bench, and then I will paint it on. not into doing carved veneer like al did.takes too much time.something that is short for me.I also would like to thank jsutterby for the drawing on the al stohlman tooling desk. thats another project I will be tackling soon.thanks agian jsutterby!

PS~ dont be too critical, I didnt clean up at all. just walked out in the garage an started snapping pics.

DSC05266.JPG

DSC05267.JPG

DSC05268.JPG

DSC05270.JPG

post-5123-1202005410_thumb.jpg

post-5123-1202005425_thumb.jpg

post-5123-1202005438_thumb.jpg

post-5123-1202005447_thumb.jpg

Hey if it was clean it wouldn't be a workshop would it!

If you want to talk workshops... :) Al Stohlman had a beautiful workbench that was a work of art but for me not as comfortable as I like. Spending 4 hours standing over a carving can be hard on the back!

Now, to date the best most well thought out work area I have found for leatherworking is by Peter Main. Just go to his website and click "Studio Workshop" :spoton:

http://www.petermain.com/parent.htm

Edited by SCOUTER

My "shop" is actually a spare bedroom that I use for all of my various hobbies. I use to be a record collector and collected vinyl records so the room has thousands of old LP and 45RPM records. I also use to be into shortwave radio so that equipment is also in the room as well as being my computer room. I'm an artist/graphic designer by trade so the room has a drawing table which is where I do my leatherwork. Needless to say the room is VERY cluttered and not worthy of a photo. Some of use guys have very nice shops and I'm envious! ;)

heres my shop this is where i work and play...

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop5.jpg

shop_1.jpg

post-4221-1202153666_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1202153687_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1202153702_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1202153723_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1202153739_thumb.jpg

I do alot of sewing and machine embroidery, so for now, my space is the three season room.

PICT1259.jpg

Embroidery machine on the first table. The sewing machine on the 2nd table gets put into it's case and put away when I'm working on my leather projects over there. The upright drawers in the corner have all my dyes, leather paints, tools and other leathers stuff in them. Hardware and rivets are in the storage units and white box on top of the filing cabinet and upright drawers. Leather straps are in the bottom of the white drawers with sewing stuff in the top drawer. On top of the white drawers is a piece of glass that I have my webbing burning tools on. Under the second table, where you can't see is the hardware over flow and my leather scrap bin.

PICT1258.jpg

The mess behind the office chair is lots of webbing, fabric for lining dog collars in the plastic bin and piles of parts of colored sides of suedes and leathers that are put away. Bookshelf in the foreground has bins of different widths of webbing, art books, bins of conchos and other bits

PICT1262.jpg

Millstone, my Artisan sewing machine.

All my sides of leather are rolled up and stored in my bedroom closet. I put in those california closet shelving type things so I could store leather in there

I can't wait until we finish the room downstairs, an 10' x 12' workshop that will have plenty of room for both my sewing and my leather hobbies.

Thanks everyone for the pics, keep it up, I enjoy seeing where all this beautiful leatherwork is coming from "Shows to go ya" don't need all the bells and whistles to turn out quality LOL.

I enjoy it as well. makes me wish I had an extra room in the house. I feel so cramped out in the car. im stuck between my table saw, my jetski, my welders and grinders and such. sometimes it sucks being a jack of all trades and master of none

I'm saving for a tent... :crazy:

boxes03.jpg

post-158-1202185774_thumb.jpg

Thas why you be a freak, you crack me up. Seriously though hows the neighborhood? If the dang insurance companies don't stop draggin their feet, me, the wife and our 4 dogs may be movin into the box next door....LOL Jordan...BTW I have 2 tents and a stove!

Edited by Jordan

I've enjoyed seeing pictures of your workshops, and thought I would share a few of mine. You'll notice it's full of '80s brown furniture - this isn't my personal style choice, but they were all free. It started with the table, then the bookshelf, then the little 'night stand', and then the desk (which is by far the heaviest thing we own!) Now there's also a room divider in front of the black table where I store my leather, and in front of that a padded bench with a big pillow propped against the wall. It's a perfect spot for sewing, drinking coffee, daydreaming, etc. The good thing about the bench is that from there I can't reach the computer, so I sometimes manage to get a few things done : ) The room is 9'x12'. It's well-organized though, and although I could almost open a used furniture store with all the things I've managed to fit, it actually functions rather well. My chair spins between my desk and my workbench, I have several places to set my coffee, and all of my tools are within reach - especially since they're usually in a heap on the table!

This is the 4th version of workshop for me. I started at the same table, in the corner of my son's room, in 2004. Later that year we moved to a bigger house and I had the front room with a water view! It was also the main entryway of our house, so I was constantly interrupted. In frustration I moved my shop to a rental space for six months, which was really nice but a little inconvenient. Finally, we moved once again and I've got a private, finished room in the daylight basement. The ironic thing? The wall in my current shop was already the exact same shade of greenish-yellow that I painted my rental space : )

Taken early in my mask-making days, when prototype bags still had the 'spotlight':

PICT0001_14.JPG

PICT0002_14.JPG

PICT0003_13.JPG

PICT0004_11.JPG

PICT0006_7.JPG

And how it normally looks these days:

cropped_next_14.jpg

And now, I better get back to work!

Thanks for looking!

~Tammy

post-5797-1205421470_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1205422049_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1205422061_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1205422071_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1205422081_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1205423095_thumb.jpg

Edited by TCLeathercraft

Here's my little work shop.

I finally got around to clean the place enough to take some pictures (yeah,l I'm a messy creature). It's usually like a tornado have entered the area:-) The good thing is, I can always close the door and no one will know:-)

I love my former dresser/drawer, it holds tons of stuff without showing it. It seams like the "bigger place" you have, the more you collect and the more you need, go figure.

P1010611LW.jpg

P1010616LW.jpg

P1010618LW.jpg

post-5624-1205688097_thumb.jpg

post-5624-1205688105_thumb.jpg

post-5624-1205688113_thumb.jpg

Since folks were showing their work areas I finally took some pictures of our craft room. Right now only my leather stuff is in it. Where I am taking the pictures from will be where my wife's loom will go when it arrives. I appreciate seeing everyone's areas since when we build the house in Minnesota part of the basement will be turned into the craft room and I will get to add to the leather areas. One item I plan on putting into the room is a sealed cabinet with a built in exhaust system t the outside so when dyed/finished items are drying ithe smell doesn't go all through the house. I also plan on a large cutting table with racks to hold the leather, that way I can have dark cloth curtains so the sun light doesn't darken the leather before I get to work on it.

_Bill__s_Work_Area_1.jpg

_Bill__s_Work_Area_2.jpg

_Bill__s_Work_Area_3.jpg

post-5577-1205718260_thumb.jpg

post-5577-1205718266_thumb.jpg

post-5577-1205718272_thumb.jpg