Chux

Cigar case submission...

Been back and forth on whether I should post these or not and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring as it were. My "prototype" is obviously the natural leather just to get an idea of what I was doing. The black one is veg-tan as well with an overlay of some type of leather that I bought precut for some checkbook covers. Unfortunately I don't think anyone even uses checkbooks anymore so I've been playing around with finding other uses for it. 

Let me know what you guys think. Should a make more, or just put them up on my prototype shelf??

Thanks!

20220319_100211.jpg

i think you are getting better every time you make one and if you use the same color thread the edges wont show so bad. if you can sell them make them. I quit smoking gars this is hard stuff for me lol.

Thanks, it means a lot to get a compliment here!! I thought having a contrast thread would be better, but I can try and match them or at least not go opposite. I feel I should have some made before I tried selling them but end up arguing with myself over making stuff and NOT being able to sell it. Lol

2 hours ago, Chux said:

Thanks, it means a lot to get a compliment here!! I thought having a contrast thread would be better, but I can try and match them or at least not go opposite. I feel I should have some made before I tried selling them but end up arguing with myself over making stuff and NOT being able to sell it. Lol

contrasting thread does look nice but it shows up any irregularities in the edge. Once you get a good method going on forming you should be good to go with any thread combo. I saw in the video posted the people used solid forms and then ran a bone folder along the stitching on both sides. Also an uneven glue line inside will screw up your edges

They look good I'm with Chuck on this and everything he said the more you do the better they will get.  I remember a job it seamed like it would be very easy it took me  months to figure everything out and it's done, but now I have the second half of the project and again I've been on it for months I thought the first part was tough this second part is just mind boggling but I'll figure it out sometimes making the stuff is the easy part. Stay with it you'll get it.

I like the Idea but, i have a concern.  I smoke cigars and i would rather have a flap instead of a cap

other than my preference  which should not hold any weight.

I think you are doing a fine job.

8 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I like the Idea but, i have a concern.  I smoke cigars and i would rather have a flap instead of a cap

other than my preference  which should not hold any weight.

I think you are doing a fine job.

Tried that too, lol. Obviously I haven't worked that idea out completely either...

20220319_142720.jpg

50 minutes ago, Frodo said:

20220319_142720.thumb.jpg.a5aa94962ec6b884e4b51692b13c5912.jpg.aebd4820aed7903512c1ac92b654ec97.jpg

How bout a velcro closer

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

How bout a velcro closer

heck yeah!!!!!

Tandy has small magnets that do not show. Pretty cool

Thank you so much for the article, in order to express my gratitude I gave you a website where you can buy cigars cigarette holder he should be able to help you

Hi, If I can make a comment, the bottom thread line are being 'sucked in' to form a curve, I'm assuming from the wet molding process?  Not sure how to prevent that.  Would allowing more leather between the edge and the thread line prior to wet forming prevent that from happening? 

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

Hi, If I can make a comment, the bottom thread line are being 'sucked in' to form a curve, I'm assuming from the wet molding process?  Not sure how to prevent that.  Would allowing more leather between the edge and the thread line prior to wet forming prevent that from happening? 

Hi, if you think that's bad you should see the first couple of attempts!! Looked like a whales tale!! I don't honestly know how much of a difference that would make, once I wet form it it seems to happen no matter how I've tried it 

I'm still a novice so what do I know.  :P.  maybe some of the pros can chime in.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, Chux said:

Hi, if you think that's bad you should see the first couple of attempts!! Looked like a whales tale!! I don't honestly know how much of a difference that would make, once I wet form it it seems to happen no matter how I've tried it 

it might be due to the rounded corner stitch pattern and a using square corner form

Edited by chuck123wapati

Chux what are you using to form with? Dowels or something else?
?