Thescandall

Strap cutting machine

I’ve noticed a few I guess Chinese strap cutters on Amazon and eBay. The are green mostly and the cost is between 350.00 and 450.00. I make a few belts here and there and may need straps in the future. Does anyone have or use one. 
if so. Any feedback would be great. 
 Here is a link to one. 
https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Electric-Leather-Slitter-Machine/dp/B088MGG345/ref=asc_df_B088MGG345/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563785737119&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16388222981734403371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027794&hvtargid=pla-1827230766632&psc=1

7 hours ago, Thescandall said:

I’ve noticed a few I guess Chinese strap cutters on Amazon and eBay. The are green mostly and the cost is between 350.00 and 450.00. I make a few belts here and there and may need straps in the future. Does anyone have or use one. 
if so. Any feedback would be great. 
 Here is a link to one. 
https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Electric-Leather-Slitter-Machine/dp/B088MGG345/ref=asc_df_B088MGG345/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563785737119&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16388222981734403371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027794&hvtargid=pla-1827230766632&psc=1

I have one here and use it fairly often. For the money they are very good value. I have made a few video's on them you can see my channel and here is one if it helps -

i guess they are all made the same and branded different. i don't think these come with the little folder attachments tho. ill have to look and see if i can find them for sale.  thanks Rocky   

I have one, I find it good for doing larger batches of stuff, especially if it's from softer leathers. It's capable of chomping through some surprisingly tough leathers and can be setup to do some very precise edge trimming.

I'm not entirely sure how useful it would be to someone who "does a few belts". The standard ones are only 100mm/4" wide so you can only get a couple 38mm/1.5" belts through it at a go. $300 will get you a very nice manual strap cutter, a pile of blades and a lot of change left over for leather.

One word of warning, the electrical and finger safety on these is absolute dog toffee, as usual with direct-from-China industrial style machinery. I found an unearthed steel case, a very dodgy moulded plug on too short a crunchy cable, a self-destructing direction switch, a chassis completely open at the bottom (with exposed live contacts) and no provision for an e-stop or "unexpected digits dragged into the 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, Matt S said:

I have one, I find it good for doing larger batches of stuff, especially if it's from softer leathers. It's capable of chomping through some surprisingly tough leathers and can be setup to do some very precise edge trimming.

I'm not entirely sure how useful it would be to someone who "does a few belts". The standard ones are only 100mm/4" wide so you can only get a couple 38mm/1.5" belts through it at a go. $300 will get you a very nice manual strap cutter, a pile of blades and a lot of change left over for leather.

One word of warning, the electrical and finger safety on these is absolute dog toffee, as usual with direct-from-China industrial style machinery. I found an unearthed steel case, a very dodgy moulded plug on too short a crunchy cable, a self-destructing direction switch, a chassis completely open at the bottom (with exposed live contacts) and no provision for an e-stop or "unexpected digits dragged into the 

I kinda figured being of Chinese origin that it would have some cheap stuff thrown in the mix. I have one of those table mounted aluminum pull it thru strap cutters. But it’s only 1 at a time and finicky as hell.  I have never mastered the wooden block one either ,  I waste a lot of leather with those.  

It would be nice to just flip a switch and let it feed thru..   

thanks for the review. I’m not sold yet but if it says Tandy or cowboy on it I can’t afford it.  At 350 I can. 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, Thescandall said:

i guess they are all made the same and branded different. i don't think these come with the little folder attachments tho. ill have to look and see if i can find them for sale.  thanks Rocky   

Regards to the attachments, I hope you have not wasted tooo much time looking. I designed and made them myself with my 3D printer. If you get a machine and want a set or any particular size let me know. On the price...you will find quite a surprise with shipping and remember that the dealers normally go over and fix up any electrical issues and the like. With regards to the finger guard and safety...That is a very thick piece of acrylic on mine if you look and to make it easier and quick to change over I offset the bolt holes so that I only near to loosen the screws and turn and pull the guard off. Any which way I reckon they are pretty good value.

Thanks Brian. I will probably go ahead and get one. And will get in touch with you for the folder pieces.  It wasn’t that bad when I got the narrow feed dog and plate from you on shipping.  

I am also looking at these...  I am a little concerned that even though lots and lots are offered on amazon, and look identical  (same stock photos and txt),   very few have any "Reviews" .  and if it does,   it is usually like one "love this machine!!"  (seller?) and two or three "this machine sucks" (buyers) reviews.

I need a machine that will cut 8 to 10 oz strap leather.    and I can not get a straight answer from any of them..  and all the sample videos show it cutting very thin leather.

Has anyone actually used one?   Oh!  and to be clear:  I do not mean one of the Cowboy modals.   They may look approximately the same, but they are way more expensive (and probably better).    I am looking for "Affordable/Adequate"   not "Expensive/Perfect".

On 4/29/2022 at 8:53 AM, Thescandall said:

Thanks Brian. I will probably go ahead and get one. And will get in touch with you for the folder pieces.  It wasn’t that bad when I got the narrow feed dog and plate from you on shipping.  

Did you buy a strap cutter?  If so, how has it been?

On 4/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, Matt S said:

My thoughts exactly! 

I found one used on eBay .  It’s ok for a couple at a time. I have never had any luck with the manual ones.  Always seems to veer off and ruin about half.  I do like the variable speed tho. I can feed it thru slow and get perfect belts, straps and other stuff.  Just need to find a source for replacement nylon roller tho.  If it’s not adjusted perfect it digs a groove in it. 

So...   i picked up one on ebay.     had high hopes,  because it looked almost exactly like the  more expensive ones.

It sucks.   does not cut threw,  stalls out, at anything over 3oz

The original poster was asking about the cheap(affordable?) machines from china on ebay.   The first reply,   was saying theirs was great...  but they then showed a youtube video of a "Cowboy" brand strap cutting.    NOT THE SAME THING!!   The Cowboy goes for way over $1000+,  and YES  ,  All the videos on youtube, showing the cowboy strap cutter show it cutting thick up to 12oz ?) leather.     NONE of the videos for the cheap china machines show it cutting anything more then 2oz  !!

It appears to be a problem with torque...   the motor stalling out .   I will see if the motor can be replaced/upgraded...   but otherwise,  this is a piece of junk. 

2 hours ago, Dantan said:

So...   i picked up one on ebay.     had high hopes,  because it looked almost exactly like the  more expensive ones.

It sucks.   does not cut threw,  stalls out, at anything over 3oz

The original poster was asking about the cheap(affordable?) machines from china on ebay.   The first reply,   was saying theirs was great...  but they then showed a youtube video of a "Cowboy" brand strap cutting.    NOT THE SAME THING!!   The Cowboy goes for way over $1000+,  and YES  ,  All the videos on youtube, showing the cowboy strap cutter show it cutting thick up to 12oz ?) leather.     NONE of the videos for the cheap china machines show it cutting anything more then 2oz  !!

It appears to be a problem with torque...   the motor stalling out .   I will see if the motor can be replaced/upgraded...   but otherwise,  this is a piece of junk. 

Mine is one of the cheapy (~£300) no-name ones. Green steel case. Electrical non-compliance aside it works fine. I've cut 6mm+ flinty dry russet veg with it just fine. Cut miles of thin strips for keeper loops.  Used the roller section on hundreds of strap glueups. Trimmed a 4mm thick (10oz) laminated belt blank perfectly clean just yesterday. Could have saved a lot of money in leather and time buying one years ago.

Is it possible that you've got the nylon roller too tight? That could cause some binding.

Edited by Matt S