doubleh

custom swivel knives

I took a long break from leatherwork except for browsing this website but decided to make a few things a couple of months ago. I started with a couple of belts for my two oldest great rrand daughters and then made the oldest  an old style floral carved name belt for her birthday as she has decided she likes to play cowgirl. The latest was a floral carved holster and while working on it I decided I wanted a really nice swivel knife. Metal working being another of my hobbies I made one from brass and liked it so well I made a couple more using aluminum as I had used up my supply of brass rod. I finished my knife project this afternoon and decided to post a picture of my efforts.

OHS2mwfh.jpg

All three rotate very smoothly. 

Very nice. Does the aluminum make your hands black? If I handle aluminum I leave black smudges and fingerprints everywhere I touch.

Yep, unless aluminium is anodised or clear-coated I've found the same thing.

They look great doubleh, is the thick finger saddle any better/worse when it comes to comfort? 

Very nice.  Did you cut in the checkers too?  Well done. 

12 hours ago, doubleh said:

I decided I wanted a really nice swivel knife.

those look great !! are they adjustable in length?

7 hours ago, dikman said:

Yep, unless aluminium is anodised or clear-coated I've found the same thing.

They look great doubleh, is the thick finger saddle any better/worse when it comes to comfort? 

They are clear coated so no blackening of fingers. I haven't used them yet but just by feel alone I have decided I prefer the thin saddle. I am going to do another belt shortly and will make up my mind then. The thick one was just an experiment.

I did the knurling and everything.  The only way to adjust one would be to make a longer shaft or turn some off the barrel and drill deeper. I knew the length I like and made them to fit.

Thanks for the attaboys, everyone.