fredk

Fred's ramblings

I think, as the population increases and people migrate so much, household staff is getting to be more common. And it makes sense too. It provides income when it is most needed. I like that in the West all professions are treated with respect. In India, these days it is demanded and I am happy about that.  We grew up treating staff with love and respect. We are currently caring for my mother's maid who is old and has no one. There is no social security in India so we are her security.

23 minutes ago, SUP said:

Everyone in India has  servants, not just Hindus. The Christians and Muslins, the Jews and Sikhs and Parsis have just as many servants. We have cooks and chauffeurs, cleaning staff and sweepers. With that population, it just makes sense. It ensures everyone is working and earning

None of us in India throw things on the floor and expect servants to pick it up. It is just an exaggeration -  I have heard people say that too but never seen it.  Indians are very materialistic and money minded - saying that they have people pick up after them is a way of indicating how wealthy they are. After all, it is not routine in the West to have maids in middle-class and lower middle-class neighborhoods like it is in India, so they have no idea how routine it is for us.

Your tenant probably had some mental issues and sadly, no one realized it and helped him.

Yes, I think he was using the servants as an excuse for why his apartment was such a disaster. And definitely, he had some serious issues to let it get to such a state. :(

Sup, that's very kind of you!  I'm not sure people in N. America will begin to hire servants. It's never been part of the culture here, except with the very wealthy, though with most households having both parents working, nannies are fairly common. However, with the high price of housing in N. America, many can't afford nannies or servants.  

When my parents bought a new house in Toronto in 1963, it cost $21,000, and they paid it off in 3 years. Currently the average price for a house in Toronto is 1,128,000 and it will take decades to pay off the mortgage. So many people now are living one missed mortgage payment or rental payment away from finding themselves homeless. The cost of living has far outstripped the rise in wages for all but the wealthy. Most young people today realize that they will likely never be able to afford to buy a house.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I'll tell you my last name is Kullas, it came from Bohemia to Chicago where I was born and lived until we moved to NI. Over the years my name has been; McCullan, Cullis, McKullick and more as the locals thought. As I always say, I don't care what you call me as long as you don't call me late for lunch! 

In the recent past we have seen a large number of Eastern Europeans moving here to work at the Meat and cheese factories. When somebody we don't know, eg a doctor or police officer sees the last name they assume Eastern European. Example; My son has a car dismantling and 2nd hand parts business. Recently the police called to advise on a situation. They read the last name and brought an interpreter with them. He started talking Polish. Seeing no reaction he worked through Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovakian, Czech, Serbian. Then my son turned to the police officers and in a broad local accent said 'I cannot understand a word this guy is saying. Why did you bring him here?' As my son told me, their reaction was 'priceless'

Edited by fredk

30 minutes ago, fredk said:

I'll tell you my last name is Kullas, it came from Bohemia to Chicago where I was born and lived until we moved to NI. Over the years my name has been; McCullan, Cullis, McKullick and more as the locals thought. As I always say, I don't care what you call me as long as you don't call me late for lunch! 

In the recent past we have seen a large number of Eastern Europeans moving here to work at the Meat and cheese factories. When somebody we don't know, eg a doctor or police officer sees the last name they assume Eastern European. Example; My son has a car dismantling and 2nd hand parts business. Recently the police called to advise on a situation. They read the last name and brought an interpreter with them. He started talking Polish. Seeing no reaction he worked through Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovakian, Czech, Serbian. Then my son turned to the police officers and in a broad local accent said 'I cannot understand a word this guy is saying. Why did you bring him here?' As my son told me, their reaction was 'priceless'

Apparently no one thought to ask your son ahead of time if he spoke (I assume) English? Probably just brought the interpreter as a matter of course in order to avoid further annoyances and delays, if they were to find he did not speak English, but one would think they would ask first. 

A further daft bit to this was the police driver, who stayed in the car, was one of my son's old school chums. But he was too far away to take part so didn't know 

LOL, that's too funny, Fred! You know what they say - never assume, because it makes an ass out of u and me! :rofl:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

A wee story. About 2006/7 the Irish police, known locally as 'The Guards' went on a man-hunt for a Polish driver who was racking up fines for speeding, careless driving, not appearing in court for dangerous driving, parking tickets. He moved about a lot. they had over 50 addresses for him

His name, which was given out to the public via radio, TV and newspapers was Prawo Jazdy. Hundreds of Guards were allegedly on the look for this driver.

Then it was pointed out to the Guards that prawo jazdy is Polish for . . . . . .Driving Licence! Every time the Guards stopped a Polish diver they took down Prawo Jazdy as his name

as a certain yellow character would say 'Doh!'

OOPS!! His name could also be 'Ivor Biggun' or Phil McAverty  :whistle:

The Guards may need a bit more '' Super High Intensity Training ';)

HS

On a different thread about tools wanted I said I wanted a tool to wind Boss bobbins. I started to think as I wrote. A fixed spool fishing reel could/might be adapted

I bought a small fishing reel

fishing reel, 01LWs.jpg

It will work but, a big but, the fishing reel spool has to match the Boss bobbin. On this one its only half size so would only wind the thread in the middle of the Boss bobbin

fishing reel, 02LWs.jpg

When I get the chance I'll search out a larger reel. A  lot of fishing/angling shops have closed up here recently. Some only sell on-line now

A follow up;  I went to an angling shop and the chap there helped me search out a reel. We found a few. But I can't afford to buy it for about  7 days, when I get some pay in

I made this the other day. Its just a try-out. A couple of mistakes on it to be corrected on the next, if the buyer wants more

Viking axe hangar, 03LWs.jpg

I had to put a re-enforcement piece on the back. This was tending to fold where the two folded-over parts met

Viking axe hangar, 04LWs.jpg