fredk

Fred's ramblings

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i have a detector  and a small tin of old coins and other metal stuff  i found in my yard, Three rings, one is a very old silver ring that is a cross with Jesus, it turned sideways,  the long part of the cross goes around the finger. On our family homestead i found an axe head which my dad cleaned up and re fitted a handle, unfortunately it cracked along the weld one day while i was using it. I've found some cool stuff around the country with it including arrow heads lol as your eyes are always watching the ground you find all kinds of non metallic items.

Wish I'd had a decent sized "yard" to explore. You guys take that sort of thing for granted, over here there's far too many people for the amount of land hence the "portions" are smaller. Also, whenever someone buys so much as a garage they put a fence around it. That's the only thing I envy you guys for is the space and the freedom. You should cherish it cos someday some arsehole will try to change it.

17 hours ago, toxo said:

Wish I'd had a decent sized "yard" to explore. You guys take that sort of thing for granted, over here there's far too many people for the amount of land hence the "portions" are smaller. Also, whenever someone buys so much as a garage they put a fence around it. That's the only thing I envy you guys for is the space and the freedom. You should cherish it cos someday some arsehole will try to change it.

And grow a garden :) or own a few chickens or rabbits.

i really appreciate that sentiment  and believe me I don't take one bit of it for granted and cherish what i have been given for a life immensely.  I cant even imagine living with that many people so close.  Even though my place is fully paid off if I don't pay the arseholes their taxes yearly they will take it from me.

18 hours ago, toxo said:

You guys take that sort of thing for granted,

No, never :no:  Don't wish to go too far off topic, but our lives can change in an instant.  And as @chuck123wapati said, I cherish the space I have and what I have  . I used to live in the  southern ' burbs of Perth . I could never go back, it would make me feel claustrophobic , and, in all honesty, the busy  crazy cities are f**ked !!  

Here, I have fresh air, I can see my my neighbors , but they are at a distance* . Its damn cold in Winter, stinking hot in summer, but I wouldn't  change it for all the ' tea & china' . Apart from the utilities, govt. charges  etc. nothing is owed, its all paid off.  Not something too many people can state  considering the misery people are facing when it comes to those stuck in a endless grind stone of debt,( monster) mortgages, high cost of living and so on. 

* the houses in Perth are now built so close together , you could literally jump from one roof to the other.  " Little boxes on the hill side" 

My 2 cents worth...+ tax  :)

HS

4 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

* the houses in Perth are now built so close together , you could literally jump from one roof to the other.  " Little boxes on the hill side" 

@fredk and they don't have different colours,  they all look the f**k'n same , drab &  dreary ...and tacky .  Kids in school could come up with better designs...and colours. We all use more colours in our leatherwork than they do on a house, crazy!!

HS

Edited by Handstitched

On 8/5/2023 at 10:57 AM, chuck123wapati said:

In my book it appears to be a Dickson point and 2000 is about mid point of when they were made 1500-3500  some of them were heat treated. 

Very cool point.

Yeah, kind of hard to date them accurately, unless you know exactly where they were found, and can search the site for something that can be radio-carbon dated. It's pretty big, too, about 2 inches long, which I think is rather big for an arrowhead. Might have been a spearhead. AAaaand of course, now that i want to actually measure it, I can't find where I put the darn thing!! :rolleyes2:

Fred, wow, that is interesting! I'm a horse person, and I never knew that about the origin of the term! :huh:

I live in a small town, which has a variety store, a restaurant, a drug store and a post office. Anything else I need, I have to drive to the largest nearby town, which is only about 15 minutes away. I like it here. Everyone is on  a septic systems, so the lots have to be quite large. It's nice to be surrounded by farmer's fields...well, maybe not so much during spreading season...  The farmers have just harvested their grain, and are fertilizing and plowing the fields. Between that and the smoke from the forest fires, I've been keeping my windows closed a lot! :rolleyes2:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

15 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yeah, kind of hard to date them accurately, unless you know exactly where they were found, and can search the site for something that can be radio-carbon dated. It's pretty big, too, about 2 inches long, which I think is rather big for an arrowhead. Might have been a spearhead. AAaaand of course, now that i want to actually measure it, I can't find where I put the darn thing!! :rolleyes2:

Fred, wow, that is interesting! I'm a horse person, and I never knew that about the origin of the term! :huh:

I live in a small town, which has a variety store, a restaurant, a drug store and a post office. Anything else I need, I have to drive to the largest nearby town, which is only about 15 minutes away. I like it here. Everyone is on  a septic systems, so the lots have to be quite large. It's nice to be surrounded by farmer's fields...well, maybe not so much during spreading season...  The farmers have just harvested their grain, and are fertilizing and plowing the fields. Between that and the smoke from the forest fires, I've been keeping my windows closed a lot! :rolleyes2:

We call most stone tools arrow heads out of habit. This could very well have been used as a knife or a hafted as a spear there is as much speculation as there are facts about  the origin and use of many of these stone tools unless as you say are found with some proof of their usage.. I have found about 50 probably over the years some as small as a finger nail and some as large as three inches. I've even tried to make a few they are so interesting thinking about the man whose work you can see. Each flake tells a story of his ability. some are really exquisite then others look as if a child made them which could very well have been. 

here are a couple of fossil surface finds i picked up while metal detecting this summer i would love to know what they are. The two oval shaped pieces have a very thin iridescent shell. the other is just weird.

fossil4.jpg

fossil5.jpg

fossil6.jpg

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

here are a couple of fossil surface finds i picked up while metal detecting this summer i would love to know what they are. The two oval shaped pieces have a very thin iridescent shell. the other is just weird.

fossil4.jpg

fossil5.jpg

fossil6.jpg

The one looks like either coral or a sponge.  Or really old cauliflower.

Not sure  what fossilsed bones look like, but thats what came to mind. The two pieces centre and right have an almost even shape, as for the one on the left , fossilised alien??:dunno: Good find though.

Any paleontologists on here ??  

HS

Morning all,

Far from an expert, but those are Baculites. We have them all over the hell creek formation in Montana. Kids love to find dinosaur parts.

Edited by blue duck

34 minutes ago, blue duck said:

Morning all,

Far from an expert, but those are Baculites. We have them all over the hell creek formation in Montana. Kids love to find dinosaur parts.

thank you I knew they were from the cretaceous period but i didn't know much more. 

39 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

thank you I knew they were from the cretaceous period but i didn't know much more. 

I actually figured the Mesozoic era but cretaceous is part of it.   

https://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/wyoming-geology/paleontology.aspx

19 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I actually figured the Mesozoic era but cretaceous is part of it.   

They are turning out to be quite a significant find there chuck :specool:  

Apologies to Fred K , this is his  ' rambling' thread   :)

HS

ramble away peeps

On 8/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, fredk said:

ramble away peeps

Como bluffs dig!!! 

https://bigfoot99.com/bigfoot99-news/horse-rescue-holding-fossil-dig-fundraiser/

Good name for the horse rescue outfit

One in Ireland is called 'My lovely horse' after a 'song' in a Father Ted episode

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Good name for the horse rescue outfit

One in Ireland is called 'My lovely horse' after a 'song' in a Father Ted episode

yea but this dig is super coool this place is on private ground and has been closed for years. https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/como-bluff

Wow, if I lived close by, I'd be there for sure! Both to help the horses, and to dig for fossils!

I did it again, almost
I got 1st, 2nd and 3rd in my class with some leatherwork at the annual craft show today

Its a kinda hollow victory though
My Class was for 'miscellaneous' crafts.
The judge decided to sub-divide the Class and judge all the leather work against itself rather than against other crafts.
I had 10 items in. 
My entries were the only ones so I won against my self!

I thought I had missed it this year and only found out late Wednesday afternoon it was on. So I dug out some things ready made and made 4 new items. One of those got 3rd place. One really old thing got 1st place, a medieval style belt pouch I made about 10 years ago. I put it in just to make up numbers

The over-all winner was a hand made child's 'push' car. Looked like a 1/2 scale Austin 7 like mine. It was fully detailed with real instruments and lights 

When I get the photos off my pocket camera I'll put some up for youse to see

Some photos; my items on the display table. 10 items. 4 of mine in current use, 2 old items and 4 newly made items
Donaghadee Home Industries Show, 26th August 2023, My entries,  03LWs.jpg

In traditional reverse order; 3rd Place, a Novelty Knitting Belt Pouch. I had some of the parts for this ready cut and in a plastic box for several years so I got stuck in and made it. Its actually terrible, worse than it looks! That sewing is really ragged
Donaghadee Home Industries Show, 26th August 2023, My entries, 3rd place, 01LWs.jpg

In 2nd Place, my currently in use Coffee Cup Cuff (or Sleeve)
Donaghadee Home Industries Show, 26th August 2023, My entries, 2nd place, 01LWs.jpg

And in 1st Place, a copy of a Medieval Girdle (Belt) Pouch. I made this maybe 14 or 16 years ago. I put it into this event just to make up numbers. I got the design from 'Purses in Pieces' by Olaf Goubitz. #3 son used to wear it when we played at medieval things, thus the turned up corner on the flap
Donaghadee Home Industries Show, 26th August 2023, My entries, 1st place, 01LWs.jpg

As far as I know, this was the overall winner. A child's 'push' car. Its big. About 6 ft long. Its like a 1/2 scale version of my Austin 7 Ulster
Donaghadee Home Industries Show, 26th August 2023, child's car, 02LWs.jpg

my Austin 7
car 01LWs.JPG

I got to the venue early to set up and didn't see much of the other entries, actually I only saw a couple. I planned to go back well before the show closed to view the other entries but  I was delayed and saw nothing. The show officially closed at 4.30. I arrived at 3 and only my stuff and a few other entries were left, and they were packing up. Everyone else had taken their items shortly after 2.30, the official time that entries could be removed.
This happens at a lot of shows and events here; people take their items or close their stalls early. Why?
My #1 and I do a toy car fair twice a year. The toy fair starts at 4.30 / 5pm. It closes at 8pm. All the other traders are packed and gone by 7pm. We stay on till the very end and we get good sales in that hour. One time #1 took in over £100 just in that hour. People came to buy and spend and we sold

I've started planning for next year!
Watch this pace. Same time, Same Channel. I'll be back after a word from my sponsors
I now have a reputation to up-hold

Congrats Fred you did well indeed!! Sounds like the best part was the fun time you had. 

That Austin is making me drool.

My my my, haven't you done well :specool: :banana: Love the car push chair ...and your car  :) It feels good to get something for your hard work , its  an acknowledgement of your craft, ...and good advertising.  Its also great fun !! 

At one of the shows I Judged at,  I did see a beautifully crafted English  E-R Red Post box ( pillar box) ,made out of wood, complete with wood letters inside. 

I didn't put any leather  exhibits in our shed this year at our local show, I wasn't happy with way it was run last year, and what they did, I really don't think its permissible . Exhibitors are not allowed into the shed to hand their exhibits to the stewards a few days before the show, WTF ??  thats not on.. Instead, there  were 3-4 blokes  ( not stewards) out the front with tables , to receive the exhibits and take them into the shed, food, produce,  flowers, crafts etc. I am a  Show Judge, and the only people that can touch the exhibits are the exhibitors, to hand them over, , the stewards, and the Judges. The less people that touch the exhibits the better , it reduces any perceived  bias or interference ...and damage.  Needless to say, they have lost my support. 

My 2 cents worth + tax 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I bought this last week, arrived this morning. 

A repro medieval lunette and awl.  Its in an 'unfinished' condition. Its surface is very rough

Lunette with awl, 03LWs.jpg

It needs a lot of cleaning up and polishing