Sign in to follow this  
robert

two ranger belts

Just finished two ranger belts and had to show 'em off. one floral, one basket... 7/8 ounce leather, lined with 2/3 ounce, finished with fiebings antique paste over neatlac, and a final coat of tankote. I sewed them on my Boss and rubbed the edges with water, but no edgecoat.

Robert

IMG_4328.JPGIMG_4327.JPG

post-4979-1194488487_thumb.jpg

post-4979-1194488729_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking robert, I especially like the floral one. Is it just me, or is the keeper in the wrong place?

Ken

Very nice looking robert, I especially like the floral one. Is it just me, or is the keeper in the wrong place?

Ken

it's right - the back layer of the other end laces through the keeper on the backside. the buckle set will have silver keepers for the 3/4" billet... does that make sense?

thanks for the nice comments!

Robert very nice looking belts!!!! Mike

Very nice and an amazing basket weave.

Very nice Robert,beautiful!!!

Is there a trick to getting the basket weave to stay in line?

On the IILG web site there was there monthly tip,last month about keeping basket weave in line.

but I forgot to write it down. Does anyone know it?

Very nice Robert,beautiful!!!

Is there a trick to getting the basket weave to stay in line?

On the IILG web site there was there monthly tip,last month about keeping basket weave in line.

but I forgot to write it down. Does anyone know it?

Here's one ffrom PLSAC. It's a PDF web page so it will take a minute to load. Starts on page 4.

http://www.pslac.org/public/02_feb05.pdf

Robert,

Nice carving. Is that your design? Next time you might consider this:

1. Neatsfoot/ Olive oil

2. Antique ( liberally)

3. Remove excess

4. Allow to dry

5. Neatlac

The neatlac will protect the antiquing cream ( and keep it off you), and give you a more brilliant finish.

Ryan Cope

Edited by RyanCope

I really like the fact that you just rounded and burnished the edges. That's some tasteful knife work on the billets.

Who's the maker and model number of that basketweave stamp? That's a nice one.

Mike

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Mike, the stamp is a Barry King. It appears to be a size 1.25 based on his latest catalog, but I wouldn't swear to that, as the size isnt marked on the stamp. I have two of his baskets - they are soooo clean and nice - I quit using any of my tandy basket stamps once I got these. Thanks for the comment on the knife work - an old saddlemaker in the area did that on his belts, and I just copied the idea. It adds a nice touch, and distinguishes the belt as hand crafted.

Ryan, i will give your method a try - since your only "resist" is oil, does it turn out significantly darker?

Russ, thanks for posting that tutorial in basketstamping - that is how i do it, except i dont use a protractor - i just sort of eyeball it. I learned that method from Chan Geer and it works really well.

very nice! i have been going to order a basket stamp from BK. both belts are very nice!

thanks for sharing them

Beutiful work. I don't see how the buckle and keeper will work on the belt, could you please explain.

Very nice work! B)

I am going to attempt my second belt which will be my first ranger belt, here soon. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Regards,

Nick

Edited by Grunt

Beutiful work. I don't see how the buckle and keeper will work on the belt, could you please explain.

Hi Cecil.. not sure i can explain, but maybe a pic along with the words will help. the end without the keeper laces into the keeper, on the back side. then the front 3/4" billets buckle together. Does this help?

ranger_belt.jpg

post-4979-1194664417_thumb.jpg

Looking good Robert!! Thanks for sharing.

Thank God for making the BOSS huh?? Stitching makes the belts look so much more professionally finished, but I'm still hand stitching, so not doing many belts as of late.

Maybe you've inspired me to do one soon ;)

Robert - thanks for the picture. It does clarify how the buckle and keeper are mounted on the belt. This is a different style of belt than I have seen before. It is beutiful.