Scootch

Side pull, where to cut the leather from?

Hello,

A friend asked me to replace the leather on his side pull.  I have an uncut side of HO Latigo to use.  From where should the straps be cut:  the back, the shoulder, the bend or above the belly where it's no longer flanky?  

Thanks,

Scootch

Maybe someone else knows . . . but honestly Scootch . . . I have no idea what a side pull is.

Might be something to do with a saddle . . . maybe a rifle scabbard . . . a ladie's purse . . . or a camera case.  I wouldn't know . . . and couldn't guess what you might use.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

Maybe someone else knows . . . but honestly Scootch . . . I have no idea what a side pull is.

Might be something to do with a saddle . . . maybe a rifle scabbard . . . a ladie's purse . . . or a camera case.  I wouldn't know . . . and couldn't guess what you might use.

May God bless,

Dwight

:17:

@Tugadude  Dang you just beat me to it:lol:

Naw , I was as the little woman  so often says about me  .... CLUELESS !

I guess I'd pick the portion of the hide that exhibits the least amount of stretch.  Stay away from the belly, as you've already noted.

Any strap thats going to be put under any strain/stress is always better being cut up towards the back not down towards the belly. Thats why in the UK you can get Bridle  Butts/ Bridle Backs/Rein Backs with the belly trimmed off. 

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thanks for the replies.  The photo Tugadude posted is very similar to the one I'll be working on.  I was going to cut a few belt blanks out of the back so I'll cut a few 5/8 strips while I'm at it.

Thanks