Gezzer

Little sheath for my marlin spike knife

I got this Myerchin about 2 years back , came with nice nylon sheath but it is still nylon . Anyway I thought today I would make something leather for it .

Missed with locating the tooling where I wanted it and lost some definition in the tooling when I wet formed .  I will probably end up trying this again .

IMG_1550.JPG

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

I got this Myerchin about 2 years back , came with nice nylon sheath but it is still nylon . Anyway I thought today I would make something leather for it .

Missed with locating the tooling where I wanted it and lost some definition in the tooling when I wet formed .  I will probably end up trying this again .

IMG_1550.JPG

Really a good looking sheath for a good looking knife as well.

I never wet form a sheath like that if I did any tooling on it.  Tooling and wet forming are like wife and girlfriend . . . best only to have one . . . try getting both and wellll.............

May God bless,

Dwight

@Dwight  Thank you for being kind . I guess doing a little tooling on some box tops that I make and wet forming those , I thought I could just do that anywhere  :rolleyes2: . The difference being just having to form 5/8 " on the outside of the radius .... and the tooling area staying flat .    I will take some advice and just tool the redo . :thumbsup:

Thank you !

Great little project!

The knife looks like a really nice tool.

Being a sailor my only critique is the knot. It looks a bit like the upper end split in two. So  it is kind of hard to follow which strand goes where.
But  on the other hand, it has kept me studying the sheath and the knot for quite a long time to see if it was me who got it wrong, ind of those optical illusions that capture your eye and you follow the lines around and still doubt your own eyes.

23 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

Great little project!

The knife looks like a really nice tool.

Being a sailor my only critique is the knot. It looks a bit like the upper end split in two. So  it is kind of hard to follow which strand goes where.
But  on the other hand, it has kept me studying the sheath and the knot for quite a long time to see if it was me who got it wrong, ind of those optical illusions that capture your eye and you follow the lines around and still doubt your own eyes.

It is a quality tool , well made and  all about function !!!  You are exactly right about the knot while beginning to lay out the tooling window  for a redo I noticed that I had not beveled far enough where you are talking about . Also I think I have the tag end in wrong place , I believe it should be under the bend .  I will try and correct all of it on the redo !

Thank you

@Mulesaw  I took this from an image I found on the web . Did not cross my mine what knot it was . Sitting here recreating it ,  it is a malformed square knot so I will work from my own knot and I think I can work this out .    Tomorrow ......LOL  !!

Edited by Gezzer

58 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

@Mulesaw  I took this from an image I found on the web . Did not cross my mine what knot it was . Sitting here recreating it ,  it is a malformed square knot so I will work from my own knot and I think I can work this out .    Tomorrow ......LOL  !!

:lol: 

That makes sense to me, I couldn't quite recognize the knot. 

The good thing is that there are so many knots that would look good, so it is just to pick one that will look niec and isn't too difficult to recreate on leather (I think I'd stay away from a 5 strand Turkish knot :-)

great first try its useable.  i agree with Dwight on tooling and wet forming, I think we all try it at one time or another and that's how we learn. On a small sheath such as this no wet forming should be needed. And if you own a belt sander you can really make a nice straight edge after sewing it up. i need one of those knives, i use alot of rope sometimes hunting.

Advice taken ------ no wet forming , a knot that can be recognized ( maybe ) ,  tried to straighten my edges .    Thanks guys !

I sat here and tried to copy my own knot tied in paracord , that is why there are no strands . I was going to strand it but decided I had messed up enough on this little project already :lol: 

Still got a fat place in one cord but because it  is just for me , I'm gonna live with it . I would have to redo it yet again if it were for someone .

@chuck123wapati  Yes you do need one !

IMG_1557.JPG

I just can't leave well enough alone but this time I think this helped at least it did no harm  LOL !!

I am having a hard time with photos ,,,,, looks like 2 different sheaths

IMG_1559.JPGI

Edited by Gezzer

13 hours ago, Gezzer said:

One thing I learned from boy scouts almost 70 years ago . . . and since . . . there is no such thing as a malformed square knot.  They might be UGLY square knots. . . but they always work.

They come apart just like the pretty ones do.

Granny knot???  That's another animal . . . I'll mess with it for a moment or two . . . then my Kershaw comes out . . . and it is forever undone . . . no funeral . . . just undone.

But there are any number of knots out there . . . some are good ones . . . some need the Kershaw treatment.  But both of the knots on both sheaths are good looking ones.  I have to do stamps on things like that . . . my tooling is something to seriously be desired for better.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

I just can't leave well enough alone but this time I think this helped at least it did no harm  LOL !!

I am having a hard time with photos ,,,,, looks like 2 different sheaths

IMG_1559.JPGI

that is  looking good!   Your light source probably, different lights throw a different color spectrum  so they make photos appear different. My favorite knot is the Bowline i use it a lot when dragging critters out of canyons lol but sometimes they get to tight to get loose without one of those spikes. i use a screw driver lol i really should make one i have about a thousand feet of rope in various lengths and sometimes i use it all.

I love knots and I should have said " undressed "       I'm going to borrow your   " no funeral " somewhere down the road :spoton:

I guess while I'm righting things I owe Mulesaw  in sailors speak ............ reef knot

2 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that is  looking good!   Your light source probably, different lights throw a different color spectrum  so they make photos appear different. My favorite knot is the Bowline i use it a lot when dragging critters out of canyons lol but sometimes they get to tight to get loose without one of those spikes. i use a screw driver lol i really should make one i have about a thousand feet of rope in various lengths and sometimes i use it all.

@chuck123wapatiYou may not be tying the bowline right  it breaks real easy where the pencil is pointing . With thumb break it back along the standing end .  But now you may have some really BIG critters :lol:

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

12 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

@chuck123wapatiYou may not be tying the bowline right  it breaks real easy where the pencil is pointing . With thumb break it back along the standing end .  But now you may have some really BIG critters :lol:

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

LOL oh i tie it right but when you tie 500 lbs of elk on one end and a 3/4 ton truck on other, drag it through 1000 feet of sage brush and service berry shrub up a canyon wall it gets tight believe me. That's why i use it lol its the easiest to get undone. My brothers and hunting partners all use knots they don't even have a name for sometimes I don't let them tie my rope anymore. i learned most of my knots working on drill rigs back in the 70s and 80s its amazing how much much technology they used from sailing ships

@chuck123wapati

Brothers and hunting partners figured if ya can't tie a knot tie a lot ;) Carpentry/ construction did a little borrowing from the old sailors as well .

I worked with some hands in construction that thought themselves  RIGGERS that I would not have let tie my boots !!!!

@Gezzer It looks great now! 
The knot is easily recognisable and I really like the contrast of the stained strands on the light background.

Is there a belt loop on the back of the sheath?

I was just wondering, cause I once made a sheath for a thin pocket knife years ago where the idea was to just have something to keep pocket dust out of the mechanism of the knife. So the sheath just protected the knife from the harmful environment of my pocket. 

59 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

@Gezzer It looks great now! 
The knot is easily recognisable and I really like the contrast of the stained strands on the light background.

Is there a belt loop on the back of the sheath?

I was just wondering, cause I once made a sheath for a thin pocket knife years ago where the idea was to just have something to keep pocket dust out of the mechanism of the knife. So the sheath just protected the knife from the harmful environment of my pocket. 

Thank you Sir !! 

I did put a belt loop on the back but in truth it will never see much use . I carry this in the ruler pocket on my Carharts .

IMG_1562.JPG

That looks great @Gezzer.  I forgot how to tie knots from by Boy Scout days and end up with some crazy ones for sure.  What a wonderful project.  Way to overcome the challenges.  Very nice.

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

That looks great @Gezzer.  I forgot how to tie knots from by Boy Scout days and end up with some crazy ones for sure.  What a wonderful project.  Way to overcome the challenges.  Very nice.

Thank you Sir !!

Late to the party but sometimes I go threw old posts to see what I've missed.

Great lookin little sheath Gezzer and the knot looks OK too:yes:

Thank you Bert !