kgg

Singer 29K70 Restoration

I came across a 98 percent complete Singer 29K70 for a steal. It was dragged out of a guys basement. According to the serial number it was built in 1944 at Kilbowie, Clydebank, Scotland. The oddity that caught my eye was the little domestic type sewing machine motor that was attached buy a rubber belt to one of the pulleys. The motor works but needles a foot controller or I may just replace it with a new one unless I can find a proper Singer treadle stand.

It is in desperate need of a good cleanup, few touch ups on the paint, a good redneck oiling and a few warlock attachment upgrades. The top thread oiling pad is even still in the top wax pot and an old threaded bobbin still in place. There seems to be a couple of small pieces missing or needing replacement but the machine is free moving on the hand wheel, the presser foot and the needle are all moving as they should.

My other Singer 29K71 made in 1949 but released in 1951 is a short arm, small bobbin while this one a Singer 29K-71 is also a short arm, small bobbin. Both have the ability to mount the hand-wheel on either the front side or the end. The difference so far appears to be the Singer 29K71 handwheel was cased without the ability to accept the small wooden crank knob for easier hand wheeling.

I think it is probably worth saving from the scrape pile.

kgg

sng5.jpg

sng1.jpg

sng2.jpg

sng3.jpg

sng7.jpg

sng9.jpg

sng10.jpg

12 hours ago, kgg said:

I think it is probably worth saving from the scrape pile.

ALL sewing machines of that era  are worth saving, even if you don't use em'  :yes: 

That looks a beauty. Won't take much to get it up and running . The motor is an interesting feature tho.  Never seen one with an oiling pad . 

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Won't take much to get it up and running . The motor is an interesting feature tho.  Never seen one with an oiling pad . 

I'll start the cleanup process over the next couple of days while I wait for a couple new parts, new motor with foot controller, top thread tensioner and darning tensioner. I have also never seen a oil pad in the wax pot but have seen 29k's with a helper motor some were geared while others were similar to this one.

kgg

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Never seen one with an oiling pad . 

Yeah, in my neck of the woods we'd assume that is a "mouse nest".:unsure:

Looks like a great find. How is the little spring that holds the thread onto the needle bar? I have found they are often broken when it comes to doing them up. I did a new one last week on a long arm 29K72 along with the bobbin rubber and a new needle bar screw.

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

How is the little spring that holds the thread onto the needle bar?

I am assuming you mean the one at the top of the head just after the top thread tensioner and before the thread goes down the shaft. Seems to be in good shape, with no thread groove worn into it. I cleaned the machine yesterday and nearly got sick to may stomach. I was a fairly heavy smoker at 4 packs a day for many many years but when I hit it with some cleaner/degreaser the nicotine literally run off just about every surface of the machine. The smell will lets say it was a very distinctive odor that every smoker knows only to well. Glad I done the cleanup outside.

23 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Yeah, in my neck of the woods we'd assume that is a "mouse nest"

No, I also thought the same thing but it was an old felt pad soaked in oil.

kgg

Edited by kgg

12 hours ago, kgg said:

I am assuming you mean the one at the top of the head just after the top thread tensioner and before the thread goes down the shaft.

No...the spring I am talking about is a paddle shape that attaches with 2 little screws onto the needle bar itself. I will try and load this pdf manual where you can see it on page 27 part 18. Singer-29K71+72+73_Service-Manual+Parts_EN_text.pdf

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

the spring I am talking about is a paddle shape that attaches with 2 little screws onto the needle bar itself.

That spring on closer examination is missing. Another part to replace. Thank you for the link to the manual. I did have that manual. I am having a job to tracking down a manual for Singer 29K70. It seems as though the 29K70 was short lived after replacing the 29k58, 60, 62 series and then replaced by the Singer 29K 71, 72, 73 series machines. Another question I have is normally the top thread is tensioned by the top tensioner but for Darning you would use the darning tensioner on the side. Why, what difference would make and are there any video of a 29K's out there showing it Darning?

kgg

No...the spring I am talking about is a paddle shape that attaches with 2 little screws onto the needle bar itself. I will try and load this pdf manual where you can see it on page 27 part 18. Singer-29K71+72+73_Service-Manual+Parts_EN_text.pdf

Many patcher owners are unaware of the importance of the little paddle shaped spring inside the needle bar. Oftentimes, when someone has tried all of the usual troubleshooting techniques for a patcher that skips stitches, they don't mention examining this spring. The paddle spring has one job: it holds onto the top thread above the needle as the needle bar makes its down - up - down jog when the loop forms on the right side of the needle's eye. If the spring is firm and there isn't any thread fluff between it and the thread channel, it presses against the thread so the spring on top of the take-up arm doesn't pull it up and dissolve the loop. If the spring is bent, weak, or missing, it is almost impossible to get reliable stitches.

@kgg

Since you are missing the paddle spring, you may also need the two tiny screws that hold it on. You can get them with the spring from @shoepatcher, or from any long time industrial sewing machine dealer near you.

If the old screws are still in the needle bar, leave them in place until you get the new spring. Carefully unscrew them and set them apart from each other so you can screw them back into the same holes they came out of. This is because the head of one or both may have been filed down to clear the round housing as it revolves around the needle bar. If you install them in opposite holes the head of the screw or screws may gouge the housing.

If you have to install new screws, tighten them all the way and carefully file across the outer edges of the screws to taper them into the curve of the needle bar.

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Since you are missing the paddle spring, you may also need the two tiny screws that hold it on. You can get them with the spring from @shoepatcher, or from any long time industrial sewing machine dealer near you.

If the old screws are still in the needle bar, leave them in place until you get the new spring. Carefully unscrew them and set them apart from each other so you can screw them back into the same holes they came out of. This is because the head of one or both may have been filed down to clear the round housing as it revolves around the needle bar. If you install them in opposite holes the head of the screw or screws may gouge the housing.

If you have to install new screws, tighten them all the way and carefully file across the outer edges of the screws to taper them into the curve of the needle bar.

Great information, thank you.

kgg

On 10/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, kgg said:

That spring on closer examination is missing. Another part to replace. Thank you for the link to the manual. I did have that manual. I am having a job to tracking down a manual for Singer 29K70. It seems as though the 29K70 was short lived after replacing the 29k58, 60, 62 series and then replaced by the Singer 29K 71, 72, 73 series machines. Another question I have is normally the top thread is tensioned by the top tensioner but for Darning you would use the darning tensioner on the side. Why, what difference would make and are there any video of a 29K's out there showing it Darning?

kgg

Would this link be of any help - https://www.manualslib.com/products/Singer-29k70-701703.html

45 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Would this link be of any help

Thank you, I'll go through it later today.

kgg

kgg,

You have the front hub assembly.  If you are not going to move the wheel from the end to the front, take the assembly off and seel it.  People4 looking for those all the time especially if they have a long arm.  The sell for $150.00US plus.  Just a thought.

glenn

On 10/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, kgg said:

The difference so far appears to be the Singer 29K71 handwheel was cased without the ability to accept the small wooden crank knob for easier hand wheeling.

This part of it just does my head in. I do respect very much Singer quality and design but ...why have a freewheeling catch on the hand wheel and not a knob to turn it with???? If you disengage the hand wheel you could not load your bobbin. I suspect that the disengage function would not have ever been used on this machine. I agree with @shoepatcher about removing the front hub unless you have a hand wheel with a knob. Logically it would run more smoother and freely without having to run a set of gears for no purpose.

why have a freewheeling catch on the hand wheel and not a knob to turn it with????

I should have corrected my post the handwheel does have the ability to accept a turning knob but it appears that it was removed at a very early part of it's life or was never installed as there was no rubbing marks whatsoever around the hole. On cleanup I figure they must have just removed the thread from the needle and wound a bobbin or wound a bobbin as they were sewing with the motor running. Everything on the end shaft was seized to the shaft the eccentric, the spring loaded disengaging pin and pullout mechanism were seized into both the hand-wheel and the eccentric, the two eccentric set screws, and the large center screw of the handwheel. The hardest part was getting the two set screws out then it was a matter lots of oil, pounding wedge, a 32 oz hammer and a few good selective words finally got those parts off the end shaft. The winding arm looks like it was never placed to the front side of the frame as the groves in the side mounting shaft look like they were never touched by the two sets screws.

Personally I like having the handwheel on the side of the patcher as I think it is more convenient then reaching to the end of the machine to handwheel. Once I get it running I plan on adding a couple of items to this machine like what I added to the my Singer 29K71 so I can utilize the darning tensioner as a bobbin thread tensioner and wind a bobbin as I am sewing. 

kgg

So cool. Nice find and I could honestly read what you folks are saying just about all day long B)