Sign in to follow this  
JMAK74

Thread Sizing Nomenclature

Hello!

Tried searching here and nothing came up, so I'll ask!

I should be getting my order from OA Leather Supply this week and I'll be getting some thread by Black Crown in it. I ordered some #277/0.8mm thread (per website). Checking further on the internet - seems that #277 thread could be closer to 0.66mm. That's not an issue for me, however is there a standard system when it comes to the #277, #138, #92 numbering system vs. say other systems like 532, 432, etc one might see with MBT and with other poly threads?

Thank you

JMAK

On 10/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, JMAK74 said:

I ordered some #277/0.8mm thread (per website).

The OA Leather Supply website says it is as you stated at 0.8mm but if you go to the Black Crown site ( blackcrowngarage.com/thread-shop/product/b-277-halloween-bundle-1-4lb-spools/ ) you will see it should be 0.667mm for their Polyamide 66 Thread in size V277 thread. I think there was a minor mistake made on the OA Leather Supply website.

In general as there are a couple of exceptions threads for any given sizing system has to meet a certain criteria for a particular size. When it comes to threads and systems you can go down a very long and deep rabbit hole particularly if you try and convert from the older systems. Most threads in North America use the US twisted thread standard (Vxxx) or the Tex (Txxx) designations where a 1000meters weights so many grams. However in Canada you are liable to see the metric designation (Tkt xx or Mxx or #xx) as well where the smaller the number the bigger the thread. The easiest thing to do is get comfortable with a sizing system and stitch to it for both the needle and thread sizes.

kgg

On 10/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, kgg said:

The OA Leather Supply website says it is as you stated at 0.8mm but if you go to the Black Crown site ( blackcrowngarage.com/thread-shop/product/b-277-halloween-bundle-1-4lb-spools/ ) you will see it should be 0.667mm for their Polyamide 66 Thread in size V277 thread. I think there was a minor mistake made on the OA Leather Supply website.

In general as there are a couple of exceptions threads for any given sizing system has to meet a certain criteria for a particular size. When it comes to threads and systems you can go down a very long and deep rabbit hole particularly if you try and convert from the older systems. Most threads in North America use the US twisted thread standard (Vxxx) or the Tex (Txxx) designations where a 1000meters weights so many grams. However in Canada you are liable to see the metric designation (Tkt xx or Mxx or #xx) as well where the smaller the number the bigger the thread. The easiest thing to do is get comfortable with a sizing system and stitch to it for both the needle and thread sizes.

kgg

Thank you! appreciate the reply and info

A good source for information on the thread sizing can be found at The Thread Exchange. The URL is: https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Information

They show the common sizing info on their product.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, JMAK74 said:

Hello!

Tried searching here and nothing came up, so I'll ask!

I should be getting my order from OA Leather Supply this week and I'll be getting some thread by Black Crown in it. I ordered some #277/0.8mm thread (per website). Checking further on the internet - seems that #277 thread could be closer to 0.66mm. That's not an issue for me, however is there a standard system when it comes to the #277, #138, #92 numbering system vs. say other systems like 532, 432, etc one might see with MBT and with other poly threads?

Thank you

JMAK

Our chart also shows you what size needle to use for the thread size.https://tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Our chart also shows you what size needle to use for the thread size.https://tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

I took the liberty of adding a print screen to this topic.  Reason being, it is possible and highly likely that the link in the original post may someday be inactive.  So for posterity, here's what you find at the link.  It seems to be a helpful guide.

Needle and Thread Chart For Sewing Machines

The following chart compares various bonded nylon or polyester sewing thread specifications and the minimum needle sizes required

The V size is the common US measurement for twisted, multi-ply bonded nylon or polyester threads. Larger numbers indicate heavier threads.

The T sizes represent the "Tex" measurement system, where the number equals the weight in grams of 1000 meters of thread. If 1,000 meters weighs 70 grams, it is a Tex 70 thread. Larger numbers indicate heavier threads.

Please note that the "Tkt" (Ticket) sizes are equivalent to Metric "M" thread sizes used in some countries. Smaller numbers indicate heavier threads.

Minimum Needle US/Metric Thread Size: V (T) [Ticket] Government Size Yds/Pound Break Strength Diameter
12/80 33 (T30) [Tkt 80] AA 13,800 1.8 lbs .0050" (.127mm)
14/90 46 (T45) [Tkt 60] B 9,600 7.5 lbs .0094" (.238mm)
16/100 or 18/110 69 (T70) [Tkt 40] E 6,000 11 lbs .0115" (.292mm)
19/120 92 (T90) [Tkt 30] F 4,200 14.5 lbs .0133" (.337mm)
22/140 or 23/160 138 (T135) [Tkt 20] FF 3,000 22 lbs .0163" (.414mm)
24/180 207 (T210) [Tkt 15] 3 Cord 2,000 32 lbs .0200" (.508mm)
25/200 277 (T270) [Tkt 10] 4 Cord 1,500 45 lbs .0231" (.586mm)
26/220 346 (T350) [Tkt 8] 5 Cord 1,200 53 lbs .0258" (.655mm)
27/250 415 (T400) [Tkt 7] 6 Cord 1,050 72 lbs .0283" (.718mm)
30/330 554 (T600) [Tkt 5] 8 Cord 655 83 lbs .0326" (.828mm)
On 10/19/2022 at 11:48 AM, Ed in Tx said:

A good source for information on the thread sizing can be found at The Thread Exchange. The URL is: https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Information

They show the common sizing info on their product.

Be aware that in the future that link may be a dead end.  There's a lot of information there, so it might not be easy to list here, but if there is one page which is helpful for the specific question you might want to provide it here so that it doesn't disappear in time.  This might help people searching for helpful information in the future.

thank you everyone!