biffula

How to fix bad tracing

Made a tracing then realized it wasn't squared. Any way to get the impression out of leather so I can start over?  Thanks in advance

O'h dear !  Hope it wasn't a big project?   Whatever marks you put on leather stays in leather. I guess the only thing you can do, apart from starting again, is to  get creative and use  stamping tools and hope they will hide the tracings  ?  :dunno:

HS

How big? How deep? a few photos and more details would help

If its not deep you could try soaking the leather and while it dries out burnish the top surface with something flat and hard. For this I use glass paperweights

Like the one top right and the large one at the bottom of the photo

Glass burnishers, 01LWs.jpg

These were my thoughts also fredk, but I myself was not entirely sure it would work either ! But Biffula it might be worth a try ?

7 hours ago, Wild Bill46 said:

These were my thoughts also fredk, but I myself was not entirely sure it would work either ! . . . 

My suggestion is my method for removing mild marks on leather which I have mistakenly or inadvertently made. Sometimes a bit of a ghost mark can still be seen, by me, but not others, and that is usually worked over anyways

Thank You

On 10/26/2022 at 2:11 AM, biffula said:

Made a tracing then realized it wasn't squared. Any way to get the impression out of leather so I can start over?  Thanks in advance

I’m sorry. There is no way to get the impression out of leather so you can start over. The good news is that it is not that hard to fix. Once you have the new leather, place your old leather on top of it and mark the impression with a sharpie. Cut the new leather where you have marked and sew them together. You should be able to get it to look like your original leather if you cut it right.

What kind of tracing?  Like tracing to prep for tooling on cased leather?  Or tracing a pattern onto chrome tan to cut out shapes?

He didn't give much info  as to what it's on or  how out of square  , so my mind runs to  is there enough room to square the leather to the tracing ? Yea I know it seems obvious that this is a stupid question but .....................................................................