Jump to content
BDAZ

Lacing Issue..Help!

Recommended Posts

I have to produce a decorative line of lacing on a project which will be around 60 inches and needs to have a tight "wrap" as shown below. All my lacing chisels leave gaps between stitches. Are there any punches for 1/8" lace that could produce these results. I suppose I could hand punch but that would be really time consuming and not in the budget. I have the possibility of either marking punch holes or even cutting them with my laser, which I will use to "trace" the pattern on the leather but again, a lot of extra work when it seems the right punch may do the trick? 

Thanks!

Bob 

Lace.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use thicker lace with your standard chisels.  Or make a custom punch.  The spacing is the issue.  I use 1/4 lace with a 1/8 punch. Sometimes I have to trim the lace down a little.  Depends on your lace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Use thicker lace with your standard chisels.  Or make a custom punch.  The spacing is the issue.  I use 1/4 lace with a 1/8 punch. Sometimes I have to trim the lace down a little.  Depends on your lace.

Not sure if a wider lace is an option but good suggestion and I'll check.

Update: I checked and it has to be 1/8th" lace.

Thanks!

Another Update:

Searched for 2mm punches but none available. I was able to laser cut these 2mm holes spaced at 2mmin 3.3mm veg tan. For the actual project I'll may have to clean the char out before lacing but it will be the final stage and the project will already be sealed with resolene. In addition, I'm going to make the holes 2mm x 1.5 or even rectangular slots of that dimension and spaced 1.75mm.  A punch would be an easier solution but this is Plan A if no one has a better suggestion.

Laser Cut 2mm.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it have to be that specific style of lacing? There are varying styles of edge lacing that completely cover the edge, without needing to punch so closely. Trying to get a simple whip stitch that close is seriously weakening the edge of the leather.

Spanish edge lacing of three loops, and two loops.

PXL_20230125_184146056.jpg

PXL_20230125_184129315.jpg

For really tight coverage, you can do a round braid over the edge. It's intricate and time-consuming, but it looks awesome.

PXL_20230125_185039678.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Michael Sheldon said:

Does it have to be that specific style of lacing? There are varying styles of edge lacing that completely cover the edge, without needing to punch so closely. Trying to get a simple whip stitch that close is seriously weakening the edge of the leather.

Spanish edge lacing of three loops, and two loops.

For really tight coverage, you can do a round braid over the edge. It's intricate and time-consuming, but it looks awesome.

 

Thanks! That's what I would use for an edge but it has to be a single stitch..

Edited by BDAZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either, use a single punch or, and I'm thinking on the quick here; get a larger spacing chisel which also has wider teeth, say 5mm teeth at 5mm gap. File down each tooth to 3mm, that then gives a gap of about 6 or 7mm between teeth. Then use it to punch holes, After these holes, go again, but putting the teeth in the space between each of the first holes

edit;

normal 5 x 5 chisel   -----     -----     ------

reduced size tooth   ---       ---      ---

double punched        --- --- --- --- --- ---

Edited by fredk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BDAZ said:

Not sure if a wider lace is an option but good suggestion and I'll check.

Update: I checked and it has to be 1/8th" lace.

Thanks!

Another Update:

Searched for 2mm punches but none available. I was able to laser cut these 2mm holes spaced at 2mmin 3.3mm veg tan. For the actual project I'll may have to clean the char out before lacing but it will be the final stage and the project will already be sealed with resolene. In addition, I'm going to make the holes 2mm x 1.5 or even rectangular slots of that dimension and spaced 1.75mm.  A punch would be an easier solution but this is Plan A if no one has a better suggestion.

Laser Cut 2mm.jpg

If you’re looking for 2mm round punches, they are available on eBay.  I have a set from .5 up to 12 mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132674687856?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hZSG3GTuRlm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Nv0ezVr4Su-&var=432001119726&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredk said:

Either, use a single punch or, and I'm thinking on the quick here; get a larger spacing chisel which also has wider teeth, say 5mm teeth at 5mm gap. File down each tooth to 3mm, that then gives a gap of about 6 or 7mm between teeth. Then use it to punch holes, After these holes, go again, but putting the teeth in the space between each of the first holes

edit;

normal 5 x 5 chisel   -----     -----     ------

reduced size tooth   ---       ---      ---

double punched        --- --- --- --- --- ---

Brilliant! I'll give it a go...

Bob

3 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

If you’re looking for 2mm round punches, they are available on eBay.  I have a set from .5 up to 12 mm

I looked on Amazon, didn't check Ebay. Thanks!

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the same laser cut 1947503439_Lacetest2.thumb.jpg.8d328390d44c9c5626c1ae339b9d6896.jpg holes with a different lacing pattern and I think it does the trick though the 2mm punches sound like a good option if I can find them.

 

Thanks!

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took a cheap screwdriver in the right width to match my lace and ground it until it matched perfectly. Then used it for a punch. I prefer flat punch holes for lace. As apposed to round holes for flat lace.

btw, the holster is what the customer wanted. He brought me a photo and I duplicated it. With minor changes so as not to be an actual copy.

Joel

 

5A5886EF-61B5-4743-9E08-4BC2D39A12CD.jpeg

Edited by GrampaJoel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2023 at 2:34 PM, BDAZ said:

Brilliant! I'll give it a go...

Bob

I looked on Amazon, didn't check Ebay. Thanks!

Bob

they make lacing chisels.

https://tandyleather.com/products/pro-line-lacing-chisels-532?_pos=1&_sid=7f29206c3&_ss=r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

I just took a cheap screwdriver in the right width to match my lace and ground it until it matched perfectly. Then used it for a punch. I prefer flat punch holes for lace. As apposed to round holes for flat lace.

btw, the holster is what the customer wanted. He brought me a photo and I duplicated it. With minor changes so as not to be an actual copy.

Joel

 

Thanks,

Currently in Chatsworth CA but when I get home I'll test cutting 2mm x 1 mm rectangles at 1mm. I have to punch around 90 running inches so a single blade isn't going to cut it (no pun intended)

Bob

 

 

Edited by BDAZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I know, I have a few sets.
Thanks,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, BDAZ said:

I have to produce a decorative line of lacing on a project which will be around 60 inches and needs to have a tight "wrap" as shown below. All my lacing chisels leave gaps between stitches. Are there any punches for 1/8" lace that could produce these results. I suppose I could hand punch but that would be really time consuming and not in the budget. I have the possibility of either marking punch holes or even cutting them with my laser, which I will use to "trace" the pattern on the leather but again, a lot of extra work when it seems the right punch may do the trick? 

Thanks!

Bob 

Lace.jpg

then i cant help you much i can do this stitch with mine..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deeter Custom Saddlery makes a buckstitch lacing needle that fits in a cobra 3/4 sewing machine.
They also have a video on how to get it set up in machine. 
 

Others also make similar needle. 
 

No affiliation with any of manufacturers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Docado said:

Deeter Custom Saddlery makes a buckstitch lacing needle that fits in a cobra 3/4 sewing machine.
They also have a video on how to get it set up in machine. 
 

Others also make similar needle. 
 

No affiliation with any of manufacturers. 

Great information. I'll check it out!!

 

Bob

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...