Brooks125

Working with Python

I have a request from a customer to put a python hide on a holster for his Colt Python.  I got a hide from Springfield Leather Co. and it seems "dry".  I think it's the larger section of the snake, about 12"+ wide.  Is there something I need to do to to keep the scales from peeling off ... or do I need to find another hide?  I guess I'm wondering if this is the norm (I'd rather stick to Ostrich Legs)

20230227_215656.jpg

I treated my snake skin wallet with several coats of Resolene diluted with water 50/50 mix. Its been holding up for 2yrs so far.

20210228_175137.jpg

20210228_175109.jpg

I'm curious about this, as well. I got a good sized piece from SLC in one of their scrap bags, but the scales seem like they'll fall off in a breeze.

Update .. and I'll post photos soon ...  I put resolene on a scrap piece and it does seem to help quite a bit.  I used "naked" hide and I have the holster molded and the scales are laying down ok.  I think I'll go heavy on the resolene and see how that does.  Stand By ...

Resolene, resolene, resolene!  The hide takes it well and the scales lay down pretty well.  I'm happy with it and hope the customer is as well!  I constructed it finished side in, as I do with most exotics.  It helps with the absorption for molding.

20230303_203438.jpg

20230303_203429.jpg

I ONLY do snake as an inlay, and the scaling is the reason for it.  Incidentally, there are better places to get snake anyway (ROJE has some stuff ;) ).  Dry is not good, and "flaky" worse.

But snakes do have scales.  So I don't do 'full snake' goods.  Did a python belt ONCE, for a fella wanted to match his boots.  I agreed to do it, with the understanding that I double-loop laced the edges (yeah, took as long as you'd think) to "recess" the scales a bit. 

I took the order with and conveyed that this would be a "guinea pig" job.  He and I may both learn from this and I may rework it as an inlay, like you suggest.  He has strict orders to let me know how it wears. Thanks for the supplier suggestion, we can always use more!

11 minutes ago, Brooks125 said:

I took the order with and conveyed that this would be a "guinea pig" job.  He and I may both learn from this and I may rework it as an inlay, like you suggest.  He has strict orders to let me know how it wears. Thanks for the supplier suggestion, we can always use more!

Dont take much.  Even if you cut out a "lattice" look in some 4 oz (ish) cowhide, over the snake, you can leave a LOT of snake showin without the flaking and scraping ;)

pyt.jpg