ToddW

Hand Stitching Question

Quick Question.. When I am hand stitching a wallet or key chain, I often snag the thread in the hole which is a problem when pulling it back tight.  Is there a trick or something that makes it easier not to snag the thread in the hole when coming back through it?

I assume you are catching the first thread with the second needle. Two ways to deal with that. 1; Pull the first thread tight and against the side of the hole before inserting the second needle. 2; Insert BOTH needles and pull first one then the other. #2 is the way the oldtimers at my local saddle shop taught me.

11 minutes ago, ToddW said:

Quick Question.. When I am hand stitching a wallet or key chain, I often snag the thread in the hole which is a problem when pulling it back tight.  Is there a trick or something that makes it easier not to snag the thread in the hole when coming back through it?

what  Tsunkasapa said plus on #1 pull back on your first thread a little after you stick in the second needle to make sure it wasn't snagged.

36 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I assume you are catching the first thread with the second needle. Two ways to deal with that. 1; Pull the first thread tight and against the side of the hole before inserting the second needle. 2; Insert BOTH needles and pull first one then the other. #2 is the way the old timers at my local saddle shop taught me.

That's a helpful bit of info also.  Even when I'm pulling the thread tight, I still pierce the thread with the 2nd needle occasionally.  I'll try the inserting both needles simultaneously on the next project.  Thanks!

i tend to insert the first needle through the hole but don't pull the thread though very far. insert the second needle, the push it through as you pull the first thread back the way it came. This way you can see if its hung up. do your half hitch and complete.

I suggest watching the video below.  If you stitch with the holes slanted down and towards yourself it is easy enough to pull the thread to the bottom of the hole, meaning closer towards yourself, before inserting the second needle.  I rarely pierce the thread when I do it this way and when I happen to do so, it "feels" weird and I know to double-check.  I don't bother to check with each stitch because of that technique and sensory feedback.  There are a lot of good tips in this video.  It isn't the only way to get a successful result, but this method does help to achieve a nice slant on both sides, not always easy to do.  

26 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I suggest watching the video below.  If you stitch with the holes slanted down and towards yourself it is easy enough to pull the thread to the bottom of the hole, meaning closer towards yourself, before inserting the second needle.  I rarely pierce the thread when I do it this way and when I happen to do so, it "feels" weird and I know to double-check.  I don't bother to check with each stitch because of that technique and sensory feedback.  There are a lot of good tips in this video.  It isn't the only way to get a successful result, but this method does help to achieve a nice slant on both sides, not always easy to do.  

Nice thanks.  I believe I watched this back before I started doing any leather work.  I'll go back and re-watch it, now with a bit of perspective from having completed a handful of projects. Thanks!

When I sew, I pull the left needle & thread back towards me and the right needle & thread away from me. The next hole is sewn with the right needle & thread going in first, pulled back and the left needle & thread goes through and is pulled away from me and it becomes the right needle for the next hole, ad infinitum. It still happens very occasionally, if I'm not careful or paying attention, I do pierce the thread