dikman

Triumph motorcycle leather saddlebags.

I bought a used set a few years ago (genuine Triumph), they needed a bit of repair work - stitching, rivet replacement etc - but they've served me well since then. I noticed at the time that the leather looked "funny" at some of the edges but didn't worry too much. In the meantime the leather has slowly cracked and torn at some of the folds and looks a bit like thick cardboard separating at the breaks. Hard to describe but nothing I've seen before. Anyone have any ideas what sort of leather it might have been?

I've just pulled them apart to salvage any useable bits as they were past being repaired.

Sounds like chrome tan, two thin pieces with a piece of compressed card sandwiched in between

Rather a standard way of making such bags as well as handbags, briefcases et al from the 1870s onwards

Looking at the stuff (and picking away at the edges) it appears to be one piece, BUT if you're right and the stuff is compressed together under high pressure with a glue I guess it could turn out like that. Certainly not what I consider to be quality stuff!

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Certainly not what I consider to be quality stuff!

Any pics?  I  have come across what supposed to be 'quality' leather belts in the past  , only to find theres a cardboard core down the middle. An old story no doubt.

HS

I'm thinking that you have a pattern to make a quality set.  Jim

Jim, I thought about it (briefly) but it would cost a bit for the leather and be a lot of work. I still have the Triumph fabric saddlebags so I've put those back on, should see out my riding years that I have left.

A couple of photos of the offending leather! One shows what happened at some of the folds/bends and the other is the edge.

saddlebag leather 1a.jpg

saddlebag leather 2a.jpg

Yeah, that leather don't look right to me.  If you'll permit me just one more plea. . .  I know that the fabric ones are more practical but a quality set of leather bags is just so . . . right!  

As always, JM2C.  Jim

:lol: No argument from me, leather bags do "look right" but for now at least the fabric ones will suffice (I've made a lot of trips with them and they've served me well).

As fredk states the use of a cardboard type of layer between lining and outside is common to give shape but not the weight of vegtan.. Just needs repairs done before the water can get inside and the chrome will keep it waterproof longer as well