dikman

Funny story (or How to embarrass yourself)

A couple of days ago I went for a ride on my bike, as I hadn't used it for a while, and I stopped in at a couple of second-hand stores to see what I could find. The first one had a few leather motorcycle jackets hanging there and one of them caught my eye, it was an English Classic style, 3/4 length with a belted waist (Belstaff style) and it actually fitted me! It was missing the zip-in liner but that didn't bother me, the price was right ($117) so I bought it as my current jacket was getting a bit tight.

At the next shop I found a leather vest, which also fitted me, for $19! I couldn't come close to making one for that price, so I went home a happy chappie.

Today I decided to treat my new coat to some leather dressing. While putting it on I thought "gee, this leather seems fairly thin, must be some sort of fine garment leather" but went happily on with the application. Eventually, I stopped and had a good look at the label - it was waxed cotton, not leather!!! Doh! The cotton weave is very fine and it looks just like black leather (even fooled the shop assistant). So much for me thinking I know a bit about leather!! :lol:

Anyhow, it doesn't matter because I've been looking for this style of coat for quite a while, they rarely come up for sale second-hand so I'm still pleased with it. Now I have to figure out the best concoction to mix up to seal it with.

Edited by dikman

They were good finds. Even the best can make mistakes. :) I've been going to op shops for over 30 years.  Very rarely do I buy new clothing . 

You can find some great bargains in op shops .  A lot of my jeans are   ex$y brand jeans   and ex$y brand shirts etc.  some are brand  new, at a fraction of the RRP.   In some cases you're  supporting a good cause too :yes:

HS 

The Belstaff jackets have been made for donkeys years in England and just need waterproof wax applied every year or so, suggest you look them up on Google, They are worn a lot by royalty, lords and ladies along with gardeners and fishermen. They cost about £400-500 in UK

Yep, the genuine article isn't cheap, this is a Pakistani knockoff but is quite well made. So far paraffin wax is coming up as the best treatment, relatively high melting point and non-sticky when dry.

Just don't get close to any open flames when your wearing it! :nono:

Good point, I'll have to refrain from practicing fire-walking while I'm wearing it.;)

Otter wax would be my recommendation for sealing. I've tried paraffin but it tends to get dandruffy. Otter wax has beeswax and some other oils to keep it more supple. It also lasts longer.

Looks like a Vietnam jungle jacket with a belt . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight