Handstitched

Silhouette Carved Belt

This is my latest creation, a ' silhouette carved' belt. I haven't done silhouette carving in a quite a long time. The individual pieces are cut-outs, off-cuts from other  stuff I make, ...I used up scraps  , with a 25mm belt through the centre. This type of carving sure makes you go cross-eyed, fiddly as   :blink: Good light and a steady hand helps. Apart from the black dye, I used a thinned out  mix of 'camel & yellow' to get all pieces to match, although some pieces could have done with another coat . I modified a brush  with only a few bristles on it for the black  ...and two pairs of glasses .  The idea was inspired by Al Stohlman  in the ' Belts Galore' book, and the designs came from his book ' Inverted Carving' . Not a bad effort considering I haven't done silhouette carving in quite a while.

Theres a few other pieces I did some years earlier , including my camera case on the right, showing the back. 

HS

Silhouette Carved Belt June 2023 001.jpg

Silhouette Carved Belt June 2023 002.jpg

Silhouette Carved Belt June 2023 005.jpg

Silhouette Carved Belt June 2023 004.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Very nicely done! Beautiful work! Never heard of silhouette carving before but I'm very intrigued. Definitely gonna have to give it a go for myself

Interesting technique. Nicely carried out

Carry on

those are awesome my friend tell me your technique!  Are they burned in or stamped?

Nicely done !!!!!

I did a little inverted a while back and it gives a different look for sure .

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

those are awesome my friend tell me your technique!  Are they burned in or stamped?

All carved in using angled carving blades  and the tip of a filigree blade.  Every leather worker may do it different, but  I start with tracing the designs, same as other carving, but for the small  size of the designs,  I start bevelling around the inside of the lines instead of outside using the smallest beveller I have ,  followed by the background tools and a modeling tool for the more fiddly bits including ropes, reins etc. 

The tools used are in the pic, although not very clear. I used an angled carving blade as well as a  fine filigree blade ( not in pic) . A 'B 936' beveller, an A98 backgrounder ( a really old one) , A 104 for larger areas, a modified ground down stamping tool, and an  F902 in some areas like mane, tail etc. a modeling tool ( no idea of the number) , a modified trimmed brush with only a few bristles on it  and slightly larger one for larger areas...and an extra pair of specs :blink:  &  water based black dye. 

For  those that wish to try this, one word  : patience , don't rush it , and good light. 

Thank you all  :) :)

HS

Leather Tool Pics June 2023 001.jpg

Very sharp!

pretty cool