yuma

A couple of questions....

Showing my ignorance here, but if you don't ask, you don't find out....with the trend of leather bags with wooden ends, how is the leather attached to the wood ? is the stitching just for effect ?

Second question.....When wet forming a pouch, I assume any carving or stamping is done first and then positioned accordingly in the former ?

Curiously yours

Roger

497f1771fe849d460b3b82271661fa1f.jpg

13 minutes ago, yuma said:

how is the leather attached to the wood ?

I would suspect the leather is glued to the wood with a contact cement type glue and then nailed.

kgg

The stitching near the edge; the leather could have been skived very thin. folded back on itself and stitched. Those big round things which go through the stitching might be some sort of upholstery nail, although a ready rivet stem with head, ie one part of a double-headed rivet, can be used. I've done that on some of my game boards

45 minutes ago, yuma said:

Second question.....When wet forming a pouch, I assume any carving or stamping is done first and then positioned accordingly in the former ?

That is one way. Its easier to work on the leather on the flat. But you may loose some definition in the tooling. 

On this pen case I stamped after it was wet moulded to shape;

Knit & Natter pen cases, AN, 02LWs.jpg

Well, this is a first for me, I have never seen a bag made with wood incorporated into the design.  I quite like it  :)

Perhaps some decorative upholstery nails or screws  may also work to attach the leather to the wood, even as an embellishment?  . And I guess the wood component could also  be used as a template for a leather gusset? 

Well done  :)

@fredk "On this pen case I stamped after it was wet moulded to shape"  . I have done that on some knife cases  with the mold still inside.

HS

Edited by Handstitched

11 hours ago, yuma said:

Showing my ignorance here, but if you don't ask, you don't find out....with the trend of leather bags with wooden ends, how is the leather attached to the wood ? is the stitching just for effect ?

Curiously yours

Roger

I'm pretty sure the stitching is either to hold a foldback on the leather, or purely decorative.   I made something similar a few years ago for my sister-in-law as a Christmas present.  I used brass escutcheon pins to secure the leather to the wood.  I don't have much wood working gear, and I would have chosen a different type of wood if I had known just how hard purple heart is!  LOL

1395910398_PerrysBag1.jpg.7f435bf918c01726d01df33c8b74eda0.jpg

- Bill

Thanks to all for their replies.

Roger

12 hours ago, yuma said:

how is the leather attached to the wood

Found this as it sparked my curiosity :

Leather Bag with Wooden Sides

https://www.instructables.com/Leather-Bag-With-Wooden-Sides-/

kgg

Edited by kgg

If the look appeals, there are tons of products where you can mix leather with other materials.  The use of wood makes this bicycle bag much easier to make.  Other than appearance, the wood will likely add weight to the product, so if that's a concern then it could be a drawback.  But you could also "hollow out" the wood, leaving a wide perimeter and dishing the wood out towards the center, effectively eliminating a lot of the weight.  If you have a lathe, it would be simple to do.  I've also seen leather and wood used to construct wine bottle carriers and such.  

Leather Bicycle Saddle Bag - "The Barrel Bag" - Walnut

That bike "bag" is one that I found with a quick search on the internet.  What didn't jump out at me was the fact there is zero stitching involved.  Personally, I don't see that as a good thing.  I'd have wanted to stitch the flap at least.  But hey, it shows how someone can complete a fully functional leather project without having to learn how to stitch.  I guess that will appeal to some makers.  

On 6/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, yuma said:

I have seen a few of these sort of bags done like this and it does appear that most have only glued the leather to the wood and either screwed or used upholstery escutcheon pins to hold the leather to the wood. Personally I would not recommend this method as no matter how good the glue is it is only held by the underside/flesh side of the leather and therefore the pins, nails or screws must do most of the holding. The gaps between the pins will be easily pressed out and then so will many of the pins in time. I would suggest either doing something similar to what I did when I made this motor cycle tool bag. The gusset end was machine stitched in place first after folding the outer leather over the ends.

DSC06621.jpg

After that I covered an eva rubber plug with a leather design and then glued it into the end onto the lining. The plug was a tight fit into the end and was tested without any gluing to start with. The plug could have been wood or steel or whatever.

DSC06623.jpg

DSC01333 (1)_resize.JPG

DSC01361_resize.JPG

Thanks Rocky, impressive work !!

Roger

Rocky,

That is one nice looking bag.

I have looked at these in the past and it appears that the type the op posted are nailed with any stitching as decorative or have the edges rolled and stitched. Either way I don't think the stitching Penetrates the wood.

An addendum to the main discussion; Tandy has. or had, in their library two books, 'Leather and Wood' Volumes 1 and 2.   Vol 1 is by our hero Al Stohlman and Vol 2 is by Jerry Jennings & John Drake ( Ha ha, it takes two to compete with the Master!  :lol:   )   Many of the projects in the books are rather dated and old fashioned now but I thought youse might be interested in them and maybe get some inspiration

Leather and Wood Vol. I.pdf

Leather and Wood Vol. II.pdf

Thanks for the downloads Fred, always welcomed, especially anything by the god of leatherwork.   :thumbsup:

Roger