Frodo

If you like perfection, This post us not for you

I was digging in an old tote and found this wallet that I made back when I first startedI had no money for leather so I used an old 3”  wide work belt laced together with paracord6439FF0B-3FA9-4CB6-A3DD-8E1F9CDA7DA9.jpeg.10d4055d201d9b4fdb9a44b3141215c9.jpeg

the rivets are live 22lr 

4 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I was digging in an old tote and found this wallet that I made back when I first startedI had no money for leather so I used an old 3”  wide work belt laced together with paracord6439FF0B-3FA9-4CB6-A3DD-8E1F9CDA7DA9.jpeg.10d4055d201d9b4fdb9a44b3141215c9.jpeg

the rivets are live 22lr 

i think it is cool and has some real potential as a pattern a guy that now has some leather could perfect a bit.

It has function , I like it . You also re-purposed an old belt :specool: 

I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I was using boot polish to dye the leather . I had to use the yellow pages to find stuff. 

HS 

I did a few leatherwork projects when I was 12-13. I was using my mom's cloth needles for sewing, and engineered some stamping tools out of nails and bits of scrap metal. I found an old awl in Dad's toolbox, and he let me have it. My knives were jackknives my dad gave me after confiscating them from the kids at school... :lol:  Hey, I got some really good steel blades on some of them!

My leather was from an old leather gunbelt I'd had as a kid, along with a cap pistol. 

If only my parents had introduced me to Tandy!! There was a store (Radio Shack) at a local shopping mall, where we often shopped! 

Without the proper tools, I soon lost interested. 

When I found Tandy as an adult, that's when things really took off!  I was lucky enough to find a wonderful mentor at their store, the guy who taught their leather working classes! Thank you, Bill! You always found the time to answer my questions!

Hey, if I want imperfection, I need look no further than my own workbench!

It is fun to look back and see how you've improved.  Speaking of which, I should revisit that PK380 holster...

6 hours ago, AlZilla said:

It is fun to look back and see how you've improved. 

Yep, I agree  :) I have all my early 'stuff' and stuff ups  in a shoe box, some of which took flight across my work shop :whistle:

HS

On 7/8/2023 at 9:49 PM, Handstitched said:

Yep, I agree  :) I have all my early 'stuff' and stuff ups  in a shoe box, some of which took flight across my work shop :whistle:

HS

I keep a beautiful wallet on my workbench as a reminder. While this wallet may LOOK really good, it is too small and cards won't fit in it. 

This wallet too, like your projects, took a flight across my workshop. 

I thought. I was the only person who tossed stuff across the room or out the window

On 7/9/2023 at 4:38 AM, AlZilla said:

Hey, if I want imperfection, I need look no further than my own workbench!

When I start spending more time looking for my tools than working on leather.... I know its time for a tidy up,   o'h wait......wha...??  :) 

22 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I thought. I was the only person who tossed stuff across the room or out the window

We've all done it at some point I'm sure .

Just when I  think  I've nailed it, " just a little bit more " .....DOH !!! F***k it !!!  lol  :) Might install a basket ball hoop with a rubbish bin under it. 

HS

LOL.  "If you like perfection, This post is not for you", could be the subtitle for everything I make.  I dig it!

@Littlef ditto! If I finish a project without getting discouraged, it is an achievement! But when I see everyone here, making such nice things and then are shown their first attempts as well, it gives me hope! Thank you for that, @Frodo.

Just today, I am making my third attempt at a golf cap for my husband - 1st 2 attempts - mistakes big enough that they needed re-doing. Hoping to do it reasonably well this time..

Tossed the 2nd attempt across the room - hit my bird's cage and frightened half the feathers off her!

Edited by SUP

Uttam says this sounds like animal ill-treatment and that I better explain, so here goes!

Simon/Simone Tutu is shedding - always does so in summer. Ergo, when she was startled, she  squawked indignantly  and scolded me, fluttering around  and shedding some feathers. Needless to say, she was petted, given guava and carrots and kept on my shoulder all day.

Simone/Simon as I have no idea if male or female; treated as female until enlightened.

'Tutu' means 'parrot'. 

She sits outside her cage supervising me when I work on leather near her cage.

Yeah, I was just going to comment, 'hey, it's moulting season for birds, so no harm done!'

My friend across the road has a number of budgies, so I know it's that time of year for them.

Outstanding, this is art.

21 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yeah, I was just going to comment, 'hey, it's moulting season for birds, so no harm done!'

My friend across the road has a number of budgies, so I know it's that time of year for them.

@Sheilajeanne  Thank you for that assurance  :You_Rock_Emoticon: