I have yet to get any notification of replies to threads I've posted in or want to follow. I have checked these points in 'Notification Settings':

• Automatically follow content
      • Automatically follow new content I post
      • Automatically follow content I reply to
    • Method to use for content I follow automatically
      • A notification when new content is posted

What gives? I must have some setting wrong but darned if I can figure it out. I remember this from the first time I was on the forum and eventually I just stopped checking. There are some outstanding forum members here but this makes me less apt to participate. I'm back to give it another try so any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

•  
  •  

20 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I have yet to get any notification of replies to threads I've posted in or want to follow. I have checked these points in 'Notification Settings':

This works for me.  Maybe you need to check the box for "send me news and information" to get on the mailing list.  Not sure why your selections don't work.  If adding this check box doesn't work, we'll have to get @Johanna  to look at it.

image.png

Also at the bottom of the screen, you can set "notify me of replies" if it isn't already set before you submit any post.

image.png

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Will post back if that works.

Edit: I just checked and that option is already chosen.

Edited by MarshalWill

Thanks for the test. No, still not getting any notification emails.

I can't help but think it must be something simple.

I never get notifications, I never have. I just check through the forum to see what I'm missing

If notifications are not possible, if I could search by new content to threads I'm following that would help. Right now, I'm still bungling around trying to figure out how the software for this forum works. I'm a moderator on two other forums but this one doesn't work the same.

I have tried following the links at the top of the page under 'Activity' > 'My Activity Streams' > 'Unread Content', 'Content I Follow', 'Content I've Started', and 'Content I've Posted In'. but there seem to be a lot of other threads included in those searches. Is there one link that will just list new content to threads I follow?

Setup your own stream.  Here is one that looks for all new content in the past 7 days.

image.png

Adjust the selections under Following.  You can follow areas, members, or content items I follow.  Save your 'stream'.

Reach out to @Johanna to see if she can fix your notifications.  She has for others.

Thanks for the reply, Northmount. I set up a stream as you suggested. I don't understand what it means, but it's there. I attached the page for it. If that doesn't do what I need, I'll contact @Johanna. I may do that anyway.

Stream1.png

That didn't work. All I got was a list of threads I never even visited. I deleted it and made another one slightly different. Under 'Following' I chose only content I follow instead of everything. Hopefully that will net the right results.

The stream seems to be doing what it should. A quick check to that generally doesn't  net any replies to threads I've participated in. I assume that any and all new replies will get found that way. I'll start posting more and see what comes back. It seems like a lot of unnecessary strokes but hopefully the stream is one way to know of any replies. I would feel better if I got emails, though.

Nothing seems to be any different but at least I do get notifications via that stream I made so at least there's that.

Thanks for the suggestions and direction.

Robert

A while back my stream stopped working so I can't see if there are any posts on threads I'm following. As of this morning I have re-checked notifications setting to send an email for any reply to a thread I'm following but I'm not sure if that will work with all threads. It didn't before but maybe this time it will. Time will tell on that.

The only reliable way I can see if someone replies to something I post is to check each forum separately to see if there are any new posts. For that reason I have 5 forums bookmarked and stay off all the others lest I reply to something and have to add yet another bookmark. This keeps me from contributing on all the other forums.

I just had to bookmark this forum to see if anyone replies to my recent post. That makes 6. There has to be a better way to do this.

Edited by MarshalWill

My stream appears to work again. I don't understand the situation so I'll simply go with it and see what happens over time.

Just a thought, I've recently changed from Firefox to the Microsoft one, can't think of the name.

Always had to login with Firefox,  now I don't.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Just a thought, I've recently changed from Firefox to the Microsoft one, can't think of the name.

Always had to login with Firefox,  now I don't.

I've used Firefox for ages.  I never logout from LW.  It always comes up for me. 

I'm one of those characters that really dislikes being forced into using what MS thinks is the only right application for me.  I prefer to use what I have searched out and tested.

@toxoI suppose it could be the browser I use but I haven't switched that and suspect not. It worked the same for me in Firefox, Chromium (the Linux version of chrome), Brave, Opera and TOR when I tried them a while back to see if that was the issue. I am currently using Brave.

@Northmount, I also dislike MS and have been using Linux for about 10 years and loving it. It's fast, secure and doesn't force you to use anything.

I have also not been receiving email notifications but those are now working again, too. They aren't dependent on the browser at all. I wonder if LW.net has had an upgrade recently that might have corrected it. Or maybe the admins worked their magic on my account to bring about the positive changes. For whatever reason, things are fine for now.

Thanks to you both for the input.