Teradee

Techniques to fix errors

Hi!

Recently I made a beautiful notebook cover and it was going along nicely and after trimming and sanding, I realized I’m 1/8 short as I tried to test fit a notebook.  

what!?  

needless to say, I’m bummed.  But this got me thinking…s there a way to add a closure or some other accoutrement that would fix my mistake and salvage this guy?

pictures and maybe we can help.

The only possible way I can think of to fix this is to try trimming a bit off the cover of the notebook itself. Covers always extend a bit beyond the pages inside them, and since the notebook is going to fit inside the leather cover, no one is ever going to notice, until they need to replace the notebook with a new one!

The only OTHER alternative would be to throw the cover in the trash bin and start over...

Tooling errors can often be fixed. Same with dyeing. But for measurement errors, it's measure twice, cut once. And if you're at all unsure, leave a margin for error. You can always cut something smaller if you have to! :dunno:

With a guess at the problem; sew a 3/4 inch or more strip to the long edge of both the front & rear covers. Don't try to match them in, make them different but complimentary to the main work

Edited by fredk

This won't fix the problem after the fact....  But, before I cut leather, I make a test fit using craft foam.  A sheet of craft foam is only about a buck a sheet.  Craft foam folds and bends much more similar to leather and gives you a far better idea how its gonna work, as opposed to trying to wrap a paper pattern around something.  

750039584_flintlockfoam.jpg.fcd93d9e12b329bed2b334c4479f1fc3.jpg

12 hours ago, Teradee said:

I realized I’m 1/8 short as I tried to test fit a notebook.  

Remember, leather stretches. If possible, moisten it, find a piece of wood around the same size thickness etc. as the notebook and  put in in, perhaps with a little force, but not so much to damage the leather, and leave it over night . Thats worked for me in the past if I've made a sizing boo boo. As for craft foam molds, I just use the cardboard from my fave beer carton ,  its just the right ' stiffness'  for patterns , templates  :)

HS