Gezzer

Candle holder .... kind of

i can see doing cones of several different heights and creating an arrangement out of them.. with either the LED or real tea lights - personal choice..  such a simple design, but ingenious at the same time.

as for the other thing.. it comes down to using a bit of common sense. Common sense says you never leave candles burning unattended, period. and make sure that whatever the candle is on/in is high enough off the furniture to not get too hot.. dinner plate thickness, to me, is not thick enough and I would have put something under it - a decorative trivet or something. ideally you want a bit of airspace underneath.

14 minutes ago, Heartless said:

i can see doing cones of several different heights and creating an arrangement out of them.. 

ideally you want a bit of airspace underneath.

Excellent idea about the arrangement !!!!

and the airspace

IMG_2169.JPG

18 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

Excellent idea about the arrangement !!!!

and the airspace

IMG_2169.JPG

these have so many options they are way cool my friend.

@chuck123wapati Thanks you and they should be useful for some other things .

Just a correction, Sup - it wasn't my table the Shabbat candles burned - I am not Jewish. It was a lady I was working for who was suffering from M.S.

Yup, never leave candles burning unattended!  My parent taught me that, and they both spent their early years in homes that used candles and coal oil lanterns.  Okay, have one candle holder I'd trust for that. It's a chunk of limestone, about 8" by 6" by 3" deep, with a natural depression in it that's just the right size to hold a tea light. My husband found it somewhere. I left a tea light burning in it overnight, the evening he suffered a stroke, and was taken to hospital... :'( 

Bees' wax burns at a lower temperature than paraffin wax. But get either to a critical temperature they will self ignite. When melting its best to use a dry heat as it takes longer for the wax to get to that point *

I use a glass holder, which looks a bit like an ash tray, but it ain't

* when I was a beekeeper I was a champion candle maker

Edited by fredk

@chuck123wapati  If you insist on being a grumpus each time you are awake at 4.00a.m. why  unload on this forum? Go outside and yell and stomp around a bit. It will decrease tensions until your coffee is ready and will not be offensive to anyone.

Now back to the topic of the lovely candle-holders.

@Sheilajeanne thank you for clarifying that it was someone you knew whose table was damaged by tealights, but you know about it and warned  about it. That was nice.:)

@Heartless You are perfectly right, about making different sizes as well about the care to take.

Different sizes in complementary colors are going to look stunning!

Edited by SUP

13 minutes ago, SUP said:

@chuck123wapati 

If you insist on being a grumpus each time you are awake at 4.00a.m. why  unload on this forum? Go outside and yell and stomp around a bit. At least that will not be offensive to anyone.

As for whether wax catches fire... Hmm. I'm sure someone here will respond if they know. 

Now back to the topic of the lovely candle-holders.

Suuuuup whaz up!!!  you ok? 

I didn't unload on anyone or anything, just made a comment it seems your the touchy one to me. Its ok though, if I hurt your feelers I'm so so sorry. :) you have great day. 

Funny story i made a living teaching convicts to work , learn and hopefully lead a better life when they got out of prison. the hardest part was getting them to even TRY to learn on their own. From what i learned from that was simply our educational system taught them they couldn't  without the help of an "expert" holding their hand and telling them every step to take. I see that in you also. Try to learn and I wont be a grumpus anymore, you will understand me and you will be proud of yourself for it even if you do make a mistake. The world is a huge place to play and experiment, chop off a piece of leather and play with it. Burn it , wet it, form it, taste it, paint it, whatever pops your cork, make life and learning an adventure you can tell others about. That simple 30 second exercise with a lit match and a piece of leather will teach you more than anyone here can.

Back on topic chaps; I reckon a few of these, in different heights, dyed in red and green with Christmasy type decoration might be a good seller at Christmas markets

LOL.

Oh yes! @fredk Great idea. Good for gifts. Hand made and unusual as well.

@Gezzer You have hit upon a winning idea. :notworthy:

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Back on topic chaps; I reckon a few of these, in different heights, dyed in red and green with Christmasy type decoration might be a good seller at Christmas markets

Brilliant idea !!!!!!!   

You know an adjustment to size and invert it , might make a flower pot wrap.................

O K  I had to try another size just to see how they might look in a bunch . Had to wet the top as it was just a little too tight and it spread my top stitch in the back. I won't bore ya'll with any more as you get the idea . 

Thanks for all the kind words everybody !!!!!!

IMG_2171.JPG

Yeah!  :thumbsup: 

That tall one looks real classy :yeah:

The tall one looks even better.. I think the proportions make it look mor elegant.

The taller one looks great. It's a very classy design, as @fredk already mentioned. The part you had to stretch becomes a straight cylinder and that also adds to the overall look. Plan that when you make the next one and you won't have to stretch it there. No stitch separation that way. Or stretch it before you stitch it and the seam will stay tight.

They are beautiful and I want one (or several) but I am worried about service life. Will friction fit really be enough?

Guess I'll have to make one and try it out. Would make a great gift for the lady in the funeral parlour who gave me the slab of polished granite for stamping...

@fredk Thank you Sir !

@SUP I agree .Changed from 1 3/4 height to 2 1/2 and it is more pleasing .

@MarshalWill You are exactly correct , when I increased my border width  that portion turned into a cylinder  and as you say, does help the look .

@Klara Thank you very much  !!!!!!  don't know how long they will be a tight fit but I really think it will be quite a long time, I am sure one could make some sort of ledge inside  ( silicone or hot glue or something ) when they are made to insure no problems . Let me know how yours turn out please .

This is great! I love the simplicity! This also prevents the candles from being knocked over since the base is wider now.

9 hours ago, Klara said:

They are beautiful and I want one (or several) but I am worried about service life. Will friction fit really be enough?

Guess I'll have to make one and try it out. Would make a great gift for the lady in the funeral parlour who gave me the slab of polished granite for stamping...

The funeral parlor that looked after the arrangements for both my mom and dad gives the families candle holders to remember their loved ones by, as so many people/faiths/whatever you want to call your belief system/  have the habit of lighting and burning candles to remember their loved ones by. You might have a business opportunity here (thought the ones this funeral parlor gives out are sculpted metal.)

3 hours ago, Kutari said:

This is great! I love the simplicity! This also prevents the candles from being knocked over since the base is wider now.

Thanks !    The base did not change , only change was in height .

Your first holder is nice, I really like the taller one. I am going to try one, since my skills are limited, I think I may cut a small block of wood to hold the tea light up, thinking my efforts may not result in a friction fit.

If you would, please... explain your "ringing" of a new container candle. I tried google but best I find is advice on burn time based on diameter.

man there was a guy on the site the other day asking about projects for boy scouts that could be dome quickly. these would be perfect for that. They would make an awesome  projects for those who do teach.

@Wepster Thank you ! 

and I agree the taller one does look better . Go for it , the friction fit isn't that hard and if you do miss the block is a fine idea .  

As for google not knowing about " ringing " I am not surprised  LOL !            It's just something we have always done ( don't even know where I got it ) , it's just a deep depression right around the wick . On a flat top candle they seem to melt all across the top , the depression lets what melts stay more in the center  which seems to make a little more flame . Here is a picture of what we do to new candles . 

IMG_2174.JPG

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

man there was a guy on the site the other day asking about projects for boy scouts that could be dome quickly. these would be perfect for that. They would make an awesome  projects for those who do teach.

They might at that . Might need leather already cut to speed it up just a little or at the very least patterns  if you are talking about the guy doing the 4 hour classes .

22 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

@Wepster Thank you ! 

and I agree the taller one does look better . Go for it , the friction fit isn't that hard and if you do miss the block is a fine idea .  

As for google not knowing about " ringing " I am not surprised  LOL !            It's just something we have always done ( don't even know where I got it ) , it's just a deep depression right around the wick . On a flat top candle they seem to melt all across the top , the depression lets what melts stay more in the center  which seems to make a little more flame . Here is a picture of what we do to new candles . 

IMG_2174.JPG

the wick wicks up the liquid wax and burns it as it melts the candle, Candles if made correctly work so that  the heat generated from the wick will melt all the wax to the edge and flow it to the middle for combustion leaving an empty container. the ring is and was used to facilitate the pool around the wick as if not done melted wax can over flow and cut a furrow allowing the wax to escape over the edge and drip away. More info our ancestors left us but we forgot with the invention of the light bulb.