Whit30

Asking for ideas for modifications to this pattern

I am asking for ideas how you would change this pattern.

I'm not crazy about the top flap having a plain edge. I am thinking of lacing the top flap all around

To incorporate the lacing throughout the bag, would you change the way the side panel's are sewn and rather than the edge going into the purse, would you. Punch lacing holes instead of sewing holes and have the outer edge of the purse and the side panel going towards the outside and lacing it like the top flap?

Would you buck stitch the side pannels instead of sewing them?

Or any other suggestions on using this basic shape but making it with more of a western flare using lacing.

Thank you

received_1997111590669075.jpeg

received_3535687630080499.jpeg

received_859148292230752.jpeg

received_655708123371272.jpeg

received_854955229267234.jpeg

Not to be obvious but, dyeing and finishing the edges might be a good starting point.

How about an edge crease following the curve of that flap?
And those edges could really use some color and burnishing.

11 hours ago, Whit30 said:

When part of the project is sewn as part of the assembly, I always sew around the single layer edges as well.  I believe all the edges should match, whether single or multiple layers.  Skipping single layer edges make the project seem incomplete.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I forgot to mention, I was allowed to use these pictures of some else's work when they made the bag using the same pattern.

I think the rail needs some Thompson seal

On 10/10/2023 at 9:19 PM, Whit30 said:

I'm not crazy about the top flap having a plain edge. I am thinking of lacing the top flap all around

To incorporate the lacing throughout the bag, would you change the way the side panel's are sewn and rather than the edge going into the purse, would you. Punch lacing holes instead of sewing holes and have the outer edge of the purse and the side panel going towards the outside and lacing it like the top flap?

Would you buck stitch the side pannels instead of sewing them?

Or any other suggestions on using this basic shape but making it with more of a western flare using lacing.

Thank you

received_1997111590669075.jpeg

received_3535687630080499.jpeg

received_859148292230752.jpeg

received_655708123371272.jpeg

received_854955229267234.jpeg

I have no idea what it is called but I like the way it looks

on the front of this bag in the bottom corners I would make a V cut about 1” wide  then bring the ends in and box stitch them,   The inside of this bag is screaming for silky red or black liner with pockets and a zipper to hide girly things

try this,  make a  bag out of fabric using your pattern as a guide.   Drop that bag into your leather bag. And sew the top edge. 

change the back flap from a 2 price side and flap to a one piece side and flap

the handle used is to big for the bag make it smaller. 

in the future.  Complete each piece before assembly. Why?? Makes it a hell of a lot easier to burnish tight spots

all in all I like the bag.