Rossr

Brockton Mallet company

Beautiful work. That brass end cap you made matches the whole thing perfectly. So it has an allen head inside it. It is a small concession to having it done like it is.

Turned out REAL NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!

56 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

Beautiful work. That brass end cap you made matches the whole thing perfectly. So it has an allen head inside it. It is a small concession to having it done like it is.

Yep this is what is inside the brass so to speak its Allen head to tighten and taper screw . Not sure what they r called.  Had them around the shop. Not period to it but I'm good with function!  Ignore my filthy hands I've been making knives to today. 

20231109_140733.jpg

20231109_140743.jpg

Super cool. Nice work

Excellent job, should be good for another 100 years! I wondered what you meant by "tapered screw", we call those countersunk heads.:)

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Excellent job, should be good for another 100 years! I wondered what you meant by "tapered screw", we call those countersunk heads.:)

That sounds right to me couldnt for the life of me think of the name. Appreciate the kind words thanks 

3 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Super cool. Nice work

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Turned out REAL NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate that thank u.

5 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Thank you much.

Ross

Well done.  Looks great, and I'm sure it'll work even better!

- Bill

12 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Well done.  Looks great, and I'm sure it'll work even better!

- Bill

Thanks Bill

On 11/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, Rossr said:

Ok gang, 

Thanks for all of the thoughts.  Good ideas on dog treats makes sense to me.   

So i decided mallet head as it was.  The end I made a brass washer and drilled and tapped the end for a tapered Allen head screw.  I chose not to glue the leather time will tell if that is a mistake.  From taking it apart my view was they did not glue either. I also chose to cold blue the metal parts which I like the darker.  Lastly.  I dyed the handle and then buffed it.    

It weighs in a 4.25lbs approx.

Should be good for years to come.  I enjoy fixing up old tools for use.  No money in it for sure but it is fun.  

20231109_115102.jpg

20231109_114904.jpg

20231109_114857.jpg

20231109_114848.jpg

20231109_114839.jpg

20231109_100955.jpg

20231109_110717.jpg

beautiful work!!! something to be proud of.  BTW leather stacked handles aren't glued they are moistened and compressed no need for glue same for the rawhide.

15 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful work!!! something to be proud of.  BTW leather stacked handles aren't glued they are moistened and compressed no need for glue same for the rawhide.

Good data on the handle.  My sense was the old one was not glued.  Didn't think about wetting them makes sense.

Thanks