Brooks125

They sent me a Family Heirloom

Every now and then, I get a request to do a job that means more than leather and firearms. A couple months ago. I was contacted by a fellow that wanted the cartridge loops on his father's old duty belt replaced. The loops had been replaced at least once, at least on the ends. I don't do much hand stitching, but this one was ALL hand stitching.
In the attached pictures, you will see the before and after.
I appreciate making attractive, functional gunleather for people. I am honored when someone sends me a family heirloom!

IMG_0427.jpg

20231022_185001.jpg

Here is the backside, showing the damage done to 80+ year old leather and a couple repair jobs in! It was difficult finding workable leather at times, but it worked out beautifully!

20231022_185440.jpg

... my customer and his father from the 50s-60s.  The owner is the boy in the photo, he's now in his 70s.

IMG_0547 (1).jpg

Great job! Love doing these.

Nice daunting work.  I would have been tempted to put a backing piece of leather for the belt loops to attach to so they didn't damage the leather more.  What are the decorative rivets?  The backs look like cartridge primer and base.

What a wonderful piece of history , you did a great job. 

HS

That's a really neat piece.  The loop repair blends in nicely with the original leather work.  I'm sure the family is thrilled with the work. (I know I would be.)

21 hours ago, YinTx said:

Nice daunting work.  I would have been tempted to put a backing piece of leather for the belt loops to attach to so they didn't damage the leather more.  What are the decorative rivets?  The backs look like cartridge primer and base.

Those are IPA Marksman and IPA Sharpshooter badges.  IPA is the International Police Assoc.  I'm guessing they are shooting merits for qualification, etc.

Edited by Brooks125

Nice job!

I wonder who defaced the handgrips.

22 hours ago, GrampaJoel said:

Nice job!

I wonder who defaced the handgrips.

I noticed it too.  That looks like the job of grandchildren, maybe middle school or high school aged, who decided they would improve the grips. (That's my assessment.)

A daunting task indeed, given the age and condition of the leather. You did an excellent job.:specool: