DaveP

Solo seat help

Looking for a good starting point for this seat. Looking for a pattern.  I don't know the make of the seat. Picked up at a recent swap meet for $20.00. I want to redo the in veg tan. I  also only saddle stitch. No machine.  Where do you start ? I've read some of post here. How much bigger do you make the pattern than the seat?

20231204_140441.jpg

20231204_140513.jpg

take the seat apart and use it for the pattern.

Like Chucky said, take it apart! Drill out the rivets with a drill bit the same size the rivet post is. Carefully cut the thread joining everything together. When using thicker thread enlarge that pattern by that thickness, if the leather thickness is close leave it be. Now is a good time to record EVERYTHING you do in a notebook. That way you can find ways to improve later and possibly publish a "how to" book on the art of seat making!

choose your materials wisely, a bad choice of padding makes for a messed up long distance ride. That seat looks like it's using 1/8th X 1/8th rivets so use a 1/8th inch drill bit.

as you progress show us the steps, if you need help your friends here at LW are more than happy to help! 

when i re-did my seat in veg tan, it was recommended to use 4-5oz for the top and 2-3 for the side. i found 2-3 got really brittle after dying but looking at your seat that won't be an issue. 

also, i found that the dyed veg tan will fade quite quickly in the sun. i am currently working on a way to keep dyed color but vinegaroon or iron oxide black appears stable

good luck

Yep as others had mentioned. Reverse engineer that sucker by taking it apart & use it as a pattern. 

Dont skimp on your seat foam padding. Good seat foam will probably cost $40-$60 for a 18" x 18" square. 

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I was wanting to use a heavier leather. Like 7-8 ounce. Taking it apart seems like the way to go. For color I was leaning towards a  mahogany getting away from traditional black. Bike will be either candy apple red or a little light black cherry. Frame will be powder coated black. 

Mahogany won't go with the candy apple red. Why not try red leather?

The old cover is just vinyl. Looks like cheap foam as well. 

20231211_150041.jpg

Here's the mahogany Fiebings pro dye I was thinking about using. Red rag for contrast. 

20231211_150542.jpg

I'd like to put a little skirting around as well. Like picture. Not my work. I'd would rather without the holes.

20667.jpeg

What foam is recommended?  I see a lot of closed cell foams online. But which one for a comfortable seat?

Thanks again