DieselTech

Barry King #2 Lattice Basketweave

Guys & gals I pulled the trigger on a few Barry King stamp tools. Man them suckers make a guy cry. But they supposedly some of the best made. 

I ordered the Barry King #2 lattice basketweave stamp & I'm curious if any of you guys & gals got 1 & use it. 

How does the stamping look? What's the pattern look like when its dyed? Or is it best to leave it natural or apply a antique type gel on it? 

Thanks any & all help will be appreciated. 

phpk0oKOIPM.jpg

yes, that's a bit pricier than the Craftool  tools. But Barry King has a strong, well-earned reputation for very high quality and excellent results.

As for whether to antique or not, totally your choice.  Use a couple practice pieces to determine what it looks like with or without antique.

55 minutes ago, TonyV said:

yes, that's a bit pricier than the Craftool  tools. But Barry King has a strong, well-earned reputation for very high quality and excellent results.

As for whether to antique or not, totally your choice.  Use a couple practice pieces to determine what it looks like with or without antique.

Thanks TonyV I appreciate the input. Yeah I think the cheapest Barry K stamp I ordered was $34 dollars. I've heard the impressions his tools make are top notch. I figured it was time to try them out.

I'll have to do some experimenting with it & dyes when it shows up. 

Yeah I miss the Craftool Pro stamps that were short lived, due to high pricing. They were a fine stamp tool. 

I think this stamp looks great with antique. It will hold antique or HiLiter down in the “squares” and almost look background dyed. 

1 minute ago, bruce johnson said:

I think this stamp looks great with antique. It will hold antique or HiLiter down in the “squares” and almost look background dyed. 

Thanks that's what I was hoping someone could tell me. I cant wait to try that stamp tool out.

I mainly bought the BK Sheridan style stamps, but fell in love with the looks of the lattice basketweave & have to have it. 

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. 

9 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks that's what I was hoping someone could tell me. I cant wait to try that stamp tool out.

I mainly bought the BK Sheridan style stamps, but fell in love with the looks of the lattice basketweave & have to have it. 

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. 

You may find this stamp leaves a little more tool burnish if you case well and let it come back to a little drier than most other geo/basket stamps and use a little heavier maul. Thats how I used them. Had a similar Gore stamp that really popped like that too. My wife intercepted one of these lattices from Barry when she was stamping some off for sale on the website. 

7 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

You may find this stamp leaves a little more tool burnish if you case well and let it come back to a little drier than most other geo/basket stamps and use a little heavier maul. Thats how I used them. Had a similar Gore stamp that really popped like that too. My wife intercepted one of these lattices from Barry when she was stamping some off for sale on the website. 

Thanks for the info & knowledge. I've been on & off leather craft for about 8 years now. 

I have decided to start buying some higher quality stamp tools. 

I've had the cheap stamp tools flake the chrome off over time. Next will be finding a custom makers mark stamp. 

Practice and plan on screwing up a lot because you can go brain dead flipping it back in fourth till that one time and then sob, you forgot to turn it..

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

Practice and plan on screwing up a lot because you can go brain dead flipping it back in fourth till that one time and then sob, you forgot to turn it..

Ha that's funny! Yes I've done that before & it is always enough to make you flipping mad. I'm sure I'll do it with this one at least once. 

Lol I'll have to paint 1 of the sides of the stamp yellow or red. 

9 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Happy Wife = Cost of Doing Business.

I bet they don't include THAT equation in the business accounting books!

- Bill

9 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

I have this stamp and been there, done that.

I echo Bruce's comments on antiquing. I'll share a photo if I can find one.

Randy

4 hours ago, billybopp said:

Happy Wife = Cost of Doing Business.

I bet they don't include THAT equation in the business accounting books!

- Bill

Lol I thought it was Happy Wife=Happy Life. 

2 hours ago, rktaylor said:

I have this stamp and been there, done that.

I echo Bruce's comments on antiquing. I'll share a photo if I can find one.

Randy

Thanks. Definitely if you run across a pic & willing to post it, I would love to see it. 

I need to figure out what type of antiquing dye/gel I will need next. 

Thanks for the input & knowledge.

5 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Lol I thought it was Happy Wife=Happy Life. 

Pretty much I’m the lone worker bee of the business. Unpacker, Cleaner, sharpener, photographer, describer, web dude, order taker, packer, labeler. My wife does the house and upkeep stuff so I can do all that after work and weekends. Her contributions are stamping off the website impressions and being the post office runner. It’s a pretty good system! If she keeps a stamp, she’s earned it. 

As a tip to avoid the “forgot to flip impressions”. Stair step the stamping routine like laying bricks. Every diagonal line will be stamped in the same direction -  do one diagonal, rotate for the next diagonal. It is easier to keep track of that than stamping horizontal rows and having to rotate each impression. 

1 hour ago, bruce johnson said:

As a tip to avoid the “forgot to flip impressions”. Stair step the stamping routine like laying bricks. Every diagonal line will be stamped in the same direction -  do one diagonal, rotate for the next diagonal. It is easier to keep track of that than stamping horizontal rows and having to rotate each impression. 

So simple yet brilliant.

2 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I think I understand what you are telling me, & I will try it when the stamp shows up. Hopefully Monday all the stamp tools I ordered will be here. I'm just itching to try them. 

Yes the Barry King Lattice stamp, Will get you turned & flip upside down & around. Lmao I was struggling this morning with it. 

Great looking stamp thou.

Guys & gals am I using the barry king lattice stamp correctly? Or am I missing something. 

Lol like my mind!

php5FUuPRPM.jpg

I buy from this guy and have never been disappointed. Don't know about shipping and the US but he has a banner ad at the top of this page.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LeatherStampsTools?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=786179157&from_page=listing&section_id=27085893&page=4#items

40 minutes ago, toxo said:

I buy from this guy and have never been disappointed. Don't know about shipping and the US but he has a banner ad at the top of this page.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LeatherStampsTools?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=786179157&from_page=listing&section_id=27085893&page=4#items

Yeah I been looking at some of his stamps, he makes some nice stamps. 

I think for me to get them stamps here to Kansas, they basically double in price. 

He makes the dragon scale stamp I would like to have. 

Thanks for the info & link. 

3 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals am I using the barry king lattice stamp correctly? Or am I missing something. 

Lol like my mind!

php5FUuPRPM.jpg

Looks like you have it laid out correctly. As I wrote above, I had better results with this stamp with a good case on the leather (12-24 hours) and then letting it come back to original color. It gives more tool burnish. For higher end work I really wanted to pop and was getting paid for it, I used a vertical lined beveler to reinforce the bevel marks and add more depth and dimension. 

Sergey runs an add at the top of the Leatherwork pages. afaik his prices direct are cheaper then on etsy or ebay

4 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

Looks like you have it laid out correctly. As I wrote above, I had better results with this stamp with a good case on the leather (12-24 hours) and then letting it come back to original color. It gives more tool burnish. For higher end work I really wanted to pop and was getting paid for it, I used a vertical lined beveler to reinforce the bevel marks and add more depth and dimension. 

Thanks for the info. Yeah that piece of leather I tooled was too wet when I stamped it. 

So you say you take a vertical lined beveler & stamps the lined portion of the Barry King stamp to give it more depth & dimension. 

Thanks. I will need to get them style of beveler stamps. As I got the checkered ones. 

7 minutes ago, fredk said:

Sergey runs an add at the top of the Leatherwork pages. afaik his prices direct are cheaper then on etsy or ebay

Thanks I thought that name looked familiar. Yeah he makes some nice stamps. I think he makes the chain link stamp I like as well. 

@bruce johnson do you by chance got any pictures of that lattice/vertical lined beveler procedure you do? Or got a place I can go look? 

Also who or what brand of vertical lined bevelers do I need to buy to accomplish this stamping/tooling procedure on the lattice basket weave? 

Thanks I appreciate your knowledge & help.