Colinml

This ain't easy

Just sitting here waiting for some dye to dry, and I was thinking about how I naively assumed that my woodworking skills would immediately transfer over to leather working.  Admittedly, I retired quite a while back, so I am a bit rusty hand-eye wise, but, despite years of hand tool work, this is new and different, and difficult to do well.  Basic skills, like keeping the knife perpendicular while cutting around curves are going to take some practice.  And since the scale is smaller (I was a furniture maker), tiny mistakes are more evident in something the size of a wallet.  Kind of discouraging, but also I like the challenge.  Anyway, random thoughts.  My dye is dry.

Yeah, 'simple' doesn't always equal 'easy'.  The basic steps are simple enough, but leatherwork can be as simple or as complicated as we make it.  Time spent practicing new skills and techniques is never wasted time.  I have a box full of scraps that I've kept from my practice of cutting, tooling, sewing, dyeing, edging etc.  I don't know why I keep that stuff because I rarely find a re-use for these pieces.  But at least I can see where I've improved, as well as where I need to practice a whole lot more.

Now, time for me to practice making a holster pattern.  :crazy: 

11 hours ago, TonyV said:

Yeah, 'simple' doesn't always equal 'easy'

:17:  There are times where  the "simplest"  of jobs often take the longest to do . :rolleyes2: 

We don't make mistakes , we create new ways of learning  :)

HS

I know exactly what everyone here means! I see my poor attempts and then the absolutely beautiful work posted  on this forum and wonder at the patience and effort that was needed to reach that level of expertise. Awe-inspiring. And something to aspire for, isn't it?

Just think how hard it would be with out hands.:) God gave us everything we need to succeed even patience.

31 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

... everything we need to succeed even patience

Must have been on a day I was absent ...

17 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Must have been on a day I was absent ...

:) you have it you just have to figure out how to use it.

I had an old driller out in the oil field tell me one time, "Fire ball"( my nick name because I was always running. ), "Fireball" he said "your working faster than you can think". Truer words were never spoken in my case.  

On 1/14/2024 at 5:51 AM, Colinml said:

Kind of discouraging, but also I like the challenge.

We're also here to help :yes:

'The impossible we can do, miracles take a little longer' . Not sure where I heard that.

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

God gave us everything we need to succeed even patience.

Thats the one thing that working with leather has taught me, patience  . Its been quite  a long time since I threw something across my workshop :whistle:

HS