Stetson912

Figure and floral jim linnell class

This was a fun carving. This was done in one of jim linnel's classes on detail figure and floral carving. This piece made me realize the advancements I've made and I'm happy with it for a change. Hope you enjoy. It's 5x7 on 4/5 oz 

FB_IMG_1706116487420.jpg

Nice work!  How many hours do you think that took?

I spent 2 full (late) evenings on it. About 7 or 8 hours I think. I was deliberately  trying to go slow. It's relatively small for me and I always rush steps and that's where i mess it up haha. I'm debating if I should antique it or not

Very nice.  Was this an online class?

There are a lot of things that make this an outstanding job. Including the horse, I see 5 main focal points which makes the whole thing balanced. That horse looks real and like it's going fast. The floral work has different growth stages of the blossoms. And I like that little curlicue at the base of the main stem. Very well done.

7 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Very nice.  Was this an online class?

Thsnks

and Yes, it's available for download on his site now.

1 minute ago, MarshalWill said:

There are a lot of things that make this an outstanding job. Including the horse, I see 5 main focal points which makes the whole thing balanced. That horse looks real and like it's going fast. The floral work has different growth stages of the blossoms. And I like that little curlicue at the base of the main stem. Very well done.

Thanks, the pattern is not mine, i just carved it. I agree though. It is a very nice pattern for those reasons. That's going to be my next learning adventure, drawing patterns... terrifying!

1 minute ago, Stetson912 said:

Thanks, the pattern is not mine, i just carved it. I agree though. It is a very nice pattern for those reasons. That's going to be my next learning adventure, drawing patterns... terrifying!

Looks good. I look forward to seeing more of your floral carving.

There are a couple things I do in my patterns. This is not absolute but I like to make an odd number of focal points for your eye to land on as it moves around the pattern. That makes it more dynamic. An even number gives the design a more stability and slows the visual flow. There are times when that is beneficial, like a border around a central design where the central design is more important than the border. Transition lines are another aspect that make it work. In this one, the horse's nose directs your eye into the base of the floral part and the direction of flow then follows along the floral carving until it gets back to the horse, which then starts it all again. If the horse was facing the other way, it would hinder this flow.

Beautiful work. I love it. I hope I'll be that good someday. Outstanding work. Just stunning. 

Thanks for sharing it. 

26 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Beautiful work. I love it. I hope I'll be that good someday. Outstanding work. Just stunning. 

Thanks for sharing it. 

Something just clicked with this one haha. I know how you feel, all I can say is thank you and just keep practicing it'll fall into place

@MarshalWill I'll keep that in mind thank you

Edited by Stetson912

Your leather still a tad too wet -- but you CLOSE ;)

Let a bit more of the water come out, and you'll get richer definition without doing more work  :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of antique AT ALL, but I certainly dont EVER recommend it on "figures".  Maybe if it's kept to the floral areas.

These were done from those old Stohlman patterns, all from his "top 20" book for wallet designs,  in 3/4 oz cowhide.  No antique paste used on any of it - main (base) colors applied with an airbrush, and then depth added with STohlman's "dry brush" technique.

a.jpgUntitled-1.jpg43.jpg

That is a very nice carving. I have been looking at Jim's website to try my hand at some of the regional styles, but I really like this one. I may have to give it a try.

Great job!

1 hour ago, sparctek said:

That is a very nice carving. I have been looking at Jim's website to try my hand at some of the regional styles, but I really like this one. I may have to give it a try.

Great job!

Thank you. It was a fun one

@JLSleather coloring I am not good at. Idk what to do with it haha. I have peter main and stohlmans books on it and still cant figure it out quite right haha. I need to practice it more for sure 

Great work. I love taking Jim's classes