TCHarley

Another Home Brew Speed Reducer

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my crack at a home made speed reducer. I recently got an old Consew 206 in great condition, and went down the rabbit hole of speed reducers. I ended up over-engineering my own. I used timing belts and pullies from AliExpress, with some bearings, 40mm extrusions, some 3D printed parts, and shafts turned on my lathe to make a two stage, 5 to 1 reduction. In combination with the servo, it goes way slower than even a beginner like me could need. The top ends of the extrusions are tapped and through bolted to the table. These new holes are mostly hidden by the bobbin winder. I had to move the rear bobbin winder screw slightly as it landed where the new bolt had to go through. The old clutch motor mounting holes are reused with the new SewQuiet 6000SM servo motor.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for reading!

20240125_205437.jpg

20240125_205417.jpg

20240125_205404.jpg

2024-01-30 130900.png

2024-01-30 132550.png

Looks great! Nice work on the setup & fabrication. 

54 minutes ago, TCHarley said:

I just wanted to share my crack at a home made speed reducer.

Nicely done and nice selection on the servo motor.

kgg

Over-engineered? Yes. Unnecessarily complicated? Yes.:lol:

You did a great job on it, though, and the design is unlike any other I've seen.:specool:

As a suggestion on a great design and fantastic execution of it - make the panels out of clear Lexan or something similar so all the inner workings can be appreciated.  You could also mount it on top of the table to show it off?

6 hours ago, fibersport said:

As a suggestion on a great design and fantastic execution of it - make the panels out of clear Lexan or something similar so all the inner workings can be appreciated.  You could also mount it on top of the table to show it off?

I like this idea, maybe I will try that.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone