AlainaZ

How to support a long, thin tool case?

I am making a travel case for my sewing & patternmaking supplies. I would like to use a medium weight leather to cut down on weight. The dimensions are width 24.5", height 14.5", depth 3.5". It will fully open with a zipper. 

I am concerned about how long the case is, I'm guessing it will probably collapse on itself, and so I was thinking of making two channels on either side of the top long edge and inserting metal rods. 

I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas? Metal rods seem a little weird, but I'm new to bag making and wondering if there are materials/solutions I don't know about. The dimensions have to stay the same but I'm open to any other design changes. 

PXL_20240131_013203258.jpg

Nothing weird about putting metal rods in. And nothing new about it either. Its been done before and some of the top quality bags in the past used them

Use aluminium rods rather than steel. You could even use square cut rods. Or wood boards, they could help take the handles on the top

1 minute ago, fredk said:

Nothing weird about putting metal rods in. And nothing new about it either. Its been done before and some of the top quality bags in the past used them

Use aluminium rods rather than steel. You could even use square cut rods. Or wood boards, they could help take the handles on the top

^ yes

Have you thought about using  one piece of metal rod to make three sides so the bag doesn't collapse on itself when you set it down? Make a form to bend the metal around so it's not crooked and then sew it all in.

How about fiberglass rods?

Bamboo is another option as well. Extremely light, yet strong & flexible to some extent. 

If the case is lined you could use a stiffener between the leather and lining. Springfield sells bontex in sheets 48x60 in various thicknesses.

If you aren't lining the case you can cover the bontex with fabric and make it a tight fit and press it in each side.

It is probably the same product as Deanr mentioned . . . Tandy sells a "bag stiffener" . . . I've used it on numerous projects . . . strong, lightweight, not extremely expensive, cuts with a razor knife . . . 

It can go inside your liner . . . and / or can be fabric covered for a "different" look inside the bag . . . as well as making little pockets to attach to it for ink pen, scissors, compass, envelopes, credit cards, or whatever.

May God bless,

Dwight

Just now, Dwight said:

It is probably the same product as Deanr mentioned . . . Tandy sells a "bag stiffener" . . . I've used it on numerous projects . . . strong, lightweight, not extremely expensive, cuts with a razor knife . . . 

It can go inside your liner . . . and / or can be fabric covered for a "different" look inside the bag . . . as well as making little pockets to attach to it for ink pen, scissors, compass, envelopes, credit cards, or whatever.

OR . . . 

You can use 7/8 oz vegetable tan . . . make the bag . . . stain the bag . . get cardboard pieces to fill it up and make it "solid" . . . then wrap the cardboard really good in Saran wrap or in a tight fitting plastic bag . . . get your leather bag really good and wet . . . insert the cardboard . . . hang the bag inside your oven for an hour at 140 degrees . . . (or hang it above an electric heater . . . looking again for that 140 deg temperature) . . . when it is fully dry . . . 3 coats of Resolene that is cut 50/50 with water . . . it WILL BE  stiff.

It will not be plywood stiff . . . but I think it will be as stiff as you would like.

Take some scrap pieces . . .  experiment with them . . . you might even find that 5/6 veggie tan will be stiff enough for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

I’ve used the app. 1” wide metal straps for hanging ductwork…to give structure & form to saddlebags.. it’s very thin & also durable..&  lightweight. On occasion  I’ve covered it with the same leather the said bag is made of. It’s easy to drill out the holes for attaching with rivets..