zuludog

Shortage of Tokonole?

Do we know the current situation with Tokonole?  I've heard there is a shortage

It's out of stock with a couple of UK suppliers, but still listed on several Etsy UK suppliers, but of course that doesn't mean you'll get it if you order it

The company that makes Tokenole went bankrupt and another company has bought the product, but is going to take sometime to set up manufacturing.  In the meantime there are going to be shortages. The manager of the local Tandy said it should only last a few months, but you know how that can go.

Thanks

Meanwhile I've been Searching supplier's  websites, and in the UK at least, Identity Leathercraft, Metropolitan Leather, and others have alternative edge finishing gums, and gum tragacanth of course.

Although I haven't tried these  they are reputable suppliers, and the alternatives should be OK

Just been to Metropolitan added all three colours to my cart, so maybe give them a call.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Tandy has an equivalent to Tokonole which they even sell in a similar packaging. It appears to be the same or very similar. In fact, in their classes, that is what they provide.

Now there's going to be a 'run' on Tokonole. PPL will be buying stocks of it as an investment opportunity, there will be a black-market for it, with dodgy traders supplying 'cut' Tokonole at inflated prices . . . . . .  

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Now there's going to be a 'run' on Tokonole. PPL will be buying stocks of it as an investment opportunity, there will be a black-market for it, with dodgy traders supplying 'cut' Tokonole at inflated prices . . . . . .  

Lol we dont need no Stomped on Tokonole!

@fredk  LOL.

PSSSST!! Wanna buy some tokonol?

Have to say i am more worried about the tea shortage that may be coming, it might mean i have to start drinking coffee.

Last month I bought one of those bags of 440 tea bags.  I'm set for another few days yet. Local company thats blends a range of popular teas has already run out of tea. Their stock is on a ship coming Round the Horn*

* Round the Horn, old BBC Radio comedy show

20 minutes ago, fredk said:

Last month I bought one of those bags of 440 tea bags.  I'm set for another few days yet. Local company thats blends a range of popular teas has already run out of tea. Their stock is on a ship coming Round the Horn*

* Round the Horn, old BBC Radio comedy show

Please don't tell me its Thompsons.

Unfortunately, Yes   -  Thompson's Punjana,  blended in Belfast

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-tea-producer-runs-out-of-tea-after-red-sea-supply-hit/a1977796519.html

The End is Nigh! The sky is falling! 

PS. We may have to arrange to send you 'aid packages' of tea,  :lol:

Edited by fredk

3 hours ago, jcuk said:

Have to say i am more worried about the tea shortage that may be coming, it might mean i have to start drinking coffee.

I have to go to a leather working forum to hear about this. Jcuk, thank you for the heads up.  Just ordered two 100 count boxes of Taylor's Scottish Breakfast. I think I will go back and order more.  I can't imagine starting the day without a proper cuppa.

Fortunately I have already stocked up, and anyway I drink more coffee than tea

If any Americans or others are wondering about the importance of tea to the British Way of Life -- a couple of years ago there was a terrorist bomb threat in London, and the police were going door to door to clear people from rooms & buildings that faced onto the street

When they got to a cafe the customers refused to leave as 'we haven't finished our tea yet'

3 minutes ago, zuludog said:

If any Americans or others are wondering about the importance of tea to the British Way of Life -- a couple of years ago there was a terrorist bomb threat in London, and the police were going door to door to clear people from rooms & buildings that faced onto the street

When they got to a cafe the customers refused to leave as 'we haven't finished our tea yet'

'Murican here, who drinks a decent volume of coffee each day.  That's quite a testament to the British dedication to tea-drinking.  It seems to rise to the level of ritual, in addition to enjoyment.

In WW2 Winston Churchill is supposed to have directed a sea convoy of ships carrying tea and tobacco to special protection. The Admiralty told him that if they did it meant removing ships protecting a convoy of tanks and other munitions. Churchill is supposed to have said 'the British worker cannot carry on without his tea and cigarettes but he can without tanks'

3 minutes ago, fredk said:

In WW2 Winston Churchill is supposed to have directed a sea convoy of ships carrying tea and tobacco to special protection. The Admiralty told him that if they did it meant removing ships protecting a convoy of tanks and other munitions. Churchill is supposed to have said 'the British worker cannot carry on without his tea and cigarettes but he can without tanks'

Ah, we're  definitely going Off Topic and rambling here, but during the decline of the Roman Empire they had the choice of bringing wheat for bread or animals for the Circus from Egypt as there were only a few boats available - they chose animals

I don't use tokonol so I'm not affected by any shortage

What do you use it for? and why?  I just use a wax mixture for burnishing

Yes sorry my fault we have gone off topic, but the point was we were finishing edges long before Tokonol came also i have never used it, there plenty of other good ways to finish edges and possibly cheaper as well. And with think its time for a tea break.

33 minutes ago, jcuk said:

And with think its time for a tea break.

:16:   :thumbsup: