DieselTech

Ordered A Cobra Class 4

39 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

Nice! When I got my CB4500 I was a little nervous, never ran a sewing machine. Now I sit right down and get er done. I can count my time doing a knife sheath on it in seconds and holsters in a few minutes, and that’s just feathering the go pedal at a crawl. I’m really liking that machine.

Yeah I was going to get a cowboy cb4500, but the shipping was going to be twice as much than the cobra. So I went that route. 

I cant wait to use it. Lol I might get it put together tonight. 

Remember what I said about the motor brake, if yours has it. I took the brake pad out of mine, you had to push the go pedal to turn the flywheel, I didn’t like that.

10 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

Remember what I said about the motor brake, if yours has it. I took the brake pad out of mine, you had to push the go pedal to turn the flywheel, I didn’t like that.

Now I remember it. But I dont remember where the actual brake is. & how you disable it or back it off. 

Thanks. 

On mine I took the cover off the back of the motor, you can see the pedal linkage connected to it. It looks like a car brake of just tiny.

Guys & gals my EPS directions got accidentally taped on the inside of the box & destroyed them when I opened the box. 

Does my EPS look like everything is installed right? The red Mark's were there from leather machine co. So I just lined them up. 

Does this look correct?

Thanks. 

phpq6eJtuPM.jpg

phpbWloIdPM.jpg

phpXjQXmNPM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

Looks good to me. If not quite right just turn those discs.

23 minutes ago, toxo said:

Looks good to me. If not quite right just turn those discs.

Yeah I finally found a video by Van Plew on youtube about cobra class 4 eps installation. 

On another note I got a thread in thread guide I'm not sure as to where it goes. I found 1 spot right on top it threads into. Lmao I just dont know if it goes there. 

I cant find anything about it. 

8 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I finally found a video by Van Plew on youtube about cobra class 4 eps installation. 

On another note I got a thread in thread guide I'm not sure as to where it goes. I found 1 spot right on top it threads into. Lmao I just dont know if it goes there. 

I cant find anything about it. 

Makes no sense. Pictures?

Well I modified my flatbed attachment for Patrick1 flat extreme needle plates. It turned out good.

Only thing required to modify it to fit the needle plates, was to mark the corners around the needle plate & file the table attachment in the corners around the needle plate.

phpFvEqo4AM.jpg

phpjBsL1HAM.jpg

On 3/13/2024 at 10:31 PM, bladegrinder said:

Yea, I had quite the pile of sewed up scrap. the one thing I kept doing was I'd end on one piece of scrap in reverse then when I started another one I forgot to switch to forward, but now stitching knife sheaths or holsters I always start in reverse and end in reverse.

I also find myself hand turning the flywheel by hand at tight spots or turns, taking the brake pad out of the motor helps with that a lot, with the brake pad in, you have to push the pedal a small amount to free the flywheel, so there's lag in the machine starting. the way I have my pedal set up now there's no play before the machine starts running, you touch it and it goes.

Where is the brake pad in the moter located? I didn’t know they had brake pads in them!

5 hours ago, fasn8ya said:

Where is the brake pad in the moter located? I didn’t know they had brake pads in them!

Clutch motors have a brake that is moved in or out of contact as the lever on the bottom is pulled down. The brake engages when the control lever is all the way up. You can adjust the position of the floor pedal to ensure that the brake engages when you lift your foot, or press your heel down. There is an adjustable coil spring on the lever that determines how much pressure is applied to the brake. This adjustment is separate from the clutch slack adjuster bolt.

My machine is the Cowboy 4500 with a servo motor. taking off the back cover you can see the brake shoe and bracket it's attached to. I just removed that nut and took the bracket and shoe out and readjusted my foot petal. now with the machine at rest I can turn the flywheel. and there's no foot play, when you hit the go pedal...it goes.

BRAKE RESIZED.jpg

Thanks guys for showing & explaining how to remove & or adjust the brake. I will have to see if my cobra class 4 has that brake like @bladegrinder cowboy cb4500 has. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

taking off the back cover you can see the brake shoe and bracket it's attached to. I just removed that nut and took the bracket and shoe out and readjusted my foot petal. now with the machine at rest I can turn the flywheel. and there's no foot play, when you hit the go pedal...it goes.

Conversely, without the brake pad in play, when you back off the GO pedal, it doesn't stop on a dime, but can keep rolling on if you were already sewing fast. I often floor my machines when sewing long straight lines, especially when I'm using an edge guide. Even my CB4500 will run on if the brake pad is removed.