DieselTech

Ordered A Cobra Class 4

2 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I got a lot to learn on this beast. I've watched a few vids where they say the stirrup plate is good for sewing gussets on a 90° corner. For bags & such. 

Yes it is. Stirrup plates shorten up the radius on the cylinder arm to make these squarish corners much easier to sew into and over. I did probably a hundred briefcases and a few hundred shaving kits with the stirrup foot. 

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

Oblique stock floral shaving kit.JPG

4 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Yes it is. Stirrup plates shorten up the radius on the cylinder arm to make these squarish corners much easier to sew into and over. I did probably a hundred briefcases and a few hundred shaving kits with the stirrup foot. 

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

Oblique stock floral shaving kit.JPG

Thanks Bruce. Nice work on the briefcase & dopp kit. Beautiful work. 

I used my holster plate yesterday and found I needed to "tune up" the back a little to get the needle to line up in the center (cobra brand). I'm not sure a lower feed dog would help, but don't see how it could hurt either.  Nice looking feet. Might have to look at that super 25 for smaller stuff. I've had my class 3 since April of 2020 and am just now getting comfortable. Slow learner I guess.

Edited by Hags
Spelling and content

39 minutes ago, Hags said:

I used my holster plate yesterday and found I needed to "tune up" the back a little to get the needle to line up in the center (cobra brand). I'm not sure a lower feed dog would help, but don't see how it could hurt either.  Nice looking feet. Might have to look at that super 25 for smaller stuff. I've had my class 3 since April of 2020 and am just now getting comfortable. Slow learner I guess.

Thanks Hags. Yeah I got the narrow plates & feed dogs, so I have the ability to sew lighter/thinner projects. 

I have also read that the narrow plates & feed dogs work/perform soo much nicer when sewing. Cant wait to get the machine. 

6 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks Hags. Yeah I got the narrow plates & feed dogs, so I have the ability to sew lighter/thinner projects. 

I have also read that the narrow plates & feed dogs work/perform soo much nicer when sewing. Cant wait to get the machine. 

I bought the narrow plate set from RockyAussie and haven't seen any need to take them off, they work well for everything I'm likely to do.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I bought the narrow plate set from RockyAussie and haven't seen any need to take them off, they work well for everything I'm likely to do.

I'm hoping the same here. I wish RockyAussie wasnt in OZ, I would like to have some of his molds. Lol I need to get off my butt & just make them. 

If you dont mind me asking, what needle plate# & thread size do you mainly use all the time? 

Thanks. 

Edited by DieselTech

I haven't done much with mine but the intention was to use #277 (heaviest thread I could find here) on holsters, but the beauty of the narrow plate set is it also sews #138 just fine. Not bad for a big lump of a machine like the 4500! I have other machines for #69 thread.

The purpose of the holster plate with feed dog is to maintain the the design of the machine. It sews just like the regular feed dog and plate. You can go fast or you can go slow, and even back up with no issues. It's the same with the narrow plates and feed dogs. The 

On 3/20/2024 at 4:51 PM, DieselTech said:

I'm hoping the same here. I wish RockyAussie wasnt in OZ, I would like to have some of his molds. Lol I need to get off my butt & just make them. 

If you dont mind me asking, what needle plate# & thread size do you mainly use all the time? 

Thanks. 

I bought one from @RockyAussie and received it here in good old Oklahoma, USA.  Price and shipping time was more than reasonable.  Very happy with it.  I too haven't taken it off yet.  JM2C, Jim

11 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

I bought one from @RockyAussie and received it here in good old Oklahoma, USA.  Price and shipping time was more than reasonable.  Very happy with it.  I too haven't taken it off yet.  JM2C, Jim

Thanks. What do you think is the thinnest leather is you have sewn up with the narrow needle plate & feed dog & get good results?

I have sewn 2 layers of W&C 2-3 oz bridle leather in a test.  It worked much better than expected but the 277 thread that I had on hand was too large.  The knot was centered well but somewhat visible from both sides.  Looks a little strange.  I think 138 would've been much better.  Might get by with 207 but I had just gotten it and wanted to try it out. 

JM2C, Jim

4 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

I have sewn 2 layers of W&C 2-3 oz bridle leather in a test.  It worked much better than expected but the 277 thread that I had on hand was too large.  The knot was centered well but somewhat visible from both sides.  Looks a little strange.  I think 138 would've been much better.  Might get by with 207 but I had just gotten it and wanted to try it out. 

JM2C, Jim

Thanks. I appreciate it. That is exactly what I was hoping for. I plan on using only 2 thread sizes 138 & 277, & I was planning on using a 138 thread for my lighter projects. 

10 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

The purpose of the holster plate with feed dog is to maintain the the design of the machine. It sews just like the regular feed dog and plate. You can go fast or you can go slow, and even back up with no issues. It's the same with the narrow plates and feed dogs. The 

@Patrick1 when I swap out to the #25 extreme needle plate & presser feet, will I need to make a walking foot adjustment. I watched a couple videos, but it wasnt for your needle plate & feed dogs. 

Thanks. 

Well I got a email for earliest possible delivery date of 3-26 to 4-1. I cant wait. 

Well I am supposed to take delivery of a cobra class 4 sewing machine in the morning. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully I can find some help to set it all up. 

When you go to put the head on the pedestal stand have your mounting hardware ready. Don't try to do it without help.

10 hours ago, purplefox66 said:

When you go to put the head on the pedestal stand have your mounting hardware ready. Don't try to do it without help.

Yep I watched a bunch of videos & they all said the same thing as you. Thanks. 

Well it showed up! Pallet full of stuff! 

Cant wait to try it out.

phpbp3BS4AM.jpg

phprNaUPvAM.jpg

30 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yep I watched a bunch of videos & they all said the same thing as you. Thanks. 

Well it showed up! Pallet full of stuff! 

Cant wait to try it out.

phpbp3BS4AM.jpg

phprNaUPvAM.jpg

Exciting innit!

56 minutes ago, toxo said:

Exciting innit!

Yes it is. Lol I'm kinda lost at the moment. Trying to figure everything out. I'm trying to figure my EPS out now. 

Lmao I have seen a couple videos & it's got me kinda lost. But I think I'm right. Waiting on a phone call to make sure. 

Love it!!!

46 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yes it is. Lol I'm kinda lost at the moment. Trying to figure everything out. I'm trying to figure my EPS out now. 

Lmao I have seen a couple videos & it's got me kinda lost. But I think I'm right. Waiting on a phone call to make sure. 

Love it!!!

It's easy. You should have an L shaped rod with a thread on one end. Probably a hole quite close to the handwheel. The threaded part screws in there. It's sole purpose is for the L bit to sit in the slot in the black bit just to stop it turning around. Only by that black bit keeping still can the machine work out where the needle is.

15 minutes ago, toxo said:

It's easy. You should have an L shaped rod with a thread on one end. Probably a hole quite close to the handwheel. The threaded part screws in there. It's sole purpose is for the L bit to sit in the slot in the black bit just to stop it turning around. Only by that black bit keeping still can the machine work out where the needle is.

image.png

13 minutes ago, toxo said:

image.png

Thanks. I appreciate the photos. I'm slowly figuring it out. 

2 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. I appreciate the photos. I'm slowly figuring it out. 

Not the proper way to do it but inside the black cover you'll find two discs, each one has a cut out and the cutouts will be opposite each other, These cutouts are needle up and needle down. You can slacken them enough to turn them by hand to get them where you want. But don't tell anyone I told you.

2 minutes ago, toxo said:

Not the proper way to do it but inside the black cover you'll find two discs, each one has a cut out and the cutouts will be opposite each other, These cutouts are needle up and needle down. You can slacken them enough to turn them by hand to get them where you want. But don't tell anyone I told you.

Thanks. I'll keep you updated. I'll get some pics here in a bit. 

Nice! When I got my CB4500 I was a little nervous, never ran a sewing machine. Now I sit right down and get er done. I can count my time doing a knife sheath on it in seconds and holsters in a few minutes, and that’s just feathering the go pedal at a crawl. I’m really liking that machine.