DieselTech

Ordered A Cobra Class 4

Guys & gals what is going to be the best needle size for 277 thread? 

I see some people say to use a #24 needle, yet I see people recommend using a size #25. 

Which is best? 

Also does any1 know what size/wattage servo motor the cobra class 4 has? 

Thanks. 

Congrats on the Cobra! 

I've had mine for about a year and it's a beast. 

Tip: When putting it together don't put the handwheel on backwards like I did. :whistle:

As far as power

39 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

Congrats on the Cobra! 

I've had mine for about a year and it's a beast. 

Tip: When putting it together don't put the handwheel on backwards like I did. :whistle:

As far as power

Thanks BlackDragon. I appreciate it. 

I went & read your thread as well on your cobra class 4. Sounds like a 110volt 20amp circuit will carry the load of the machine. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Sounds like a 110volt 20amp circuit will carry the load of the machine. 

A 750 (1hp) watt servo will only draw about 6.25 amps under full load. If you have a 20 amp circuit available great but your standard 120 volt 15 amp household circuit that isn't loaded up or has other motor loads will work quite nicely. I would check the circuit you planning on using and see what is on it. These days it is more unusual to see 120 v 20 amp circuits unless it is for a particular load reason.

kgg

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

exactly what i use - LL  point, #24

pics show close up of the difference in a couple styles.  the LL and LR points are the SAME needle size, same thread size, and same stitch length.  The LR is kinda lacy and girlie, doesn't pull as deep, and makes the stitch LOOK longer (it isnt)

teh LL pulls in deep, results in a very straight and tight stitch, with a hole geometry unlikey to tear.

lll.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

An S point needle looks like a chisel and makes a perfectly flat hole running parallel to the line of stitching.  It will look a lot like the LL but without a hint of diagonal like you see with the LL and REALLY see with the LR.  The stitch pulls really tight into the leather.  I can post up a picture in a few hours when I get home.  I'm not sure I love the way the stitch looks but I do like how deep it sets - no worries about fraying threads in my holsters.

1 hour ago, kgg said:

A 750 (1hp) watt servo will only draw about 6.25 amps under full load. If you have a 20 amp circuit available great but your standard 120 volt 15 amp household circuit that isn't loaded up or has other motor loads will work quite nicely. I would check the circuit you planning on using and see what is on it. These days it is more unusual to see 120 v 20 amp circuits unless it is for a particular load reason.

kgg

Thanks kgg. My outlet is set up for a 20amp breaker. So I should be ok. 

18 minutes ago, LiftPig said:

An S point needle looks like a chisel and makes a perfectly flat hole running parallel to the line of stitching.  It will look a lot like the LL but without a hint of diagonal like you see with the LL and REALLY see with the LR.  The stitch pulls really tight into the leather.  I can post up a picture in a few hours when I get home.  I'm not sure I love the way the stitch looks but I do like how deep it sets - no worries about fraying threads in my holsters.

Thanks. Feel free to share some pics later if you want. 

So I plan on ordering. D point, S point & LR point needles, but what size should I get for the 277 thread. 

Should I get size 24 or 25? Or both?

Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. Feel free to share some pics later if you want. 

So I plan on ordering. D point, S point & LR point needles, but what size should I get for the 277 thread. 

Should I get size 24 or 25? Or both?

Thanks. 

I bought a pack of 24's, 25's and 26's.  I've been sewing on the 25's but I might try the 24's with the S point and see if I like the look of the stitch better but still having it sinking down a bit.  I'll likely buy a pack of TRI/D points in those sizes as well.  As I figure it, I'd rather have them on hand if I need them than need them and have to wait for them to ship.  

The thread chart I refer to says 24 or 25's with 207, 25 or 26 with 277.  YRMV.

Leather thread and needle chart | Thread size chart, Needle and thread, Sewing  thread

1 minute ago, LiftPig said:

I bought a pack of 24's, 25's and 26's.  I've been sewing on the 25's but I might try the 24's with the S point and see if I like the look of the stitch better but still having it sinking down a bit.  I'll likely buy a pack of TRI/D points in those sizes as well.  As I figure it, I'd rather have them on hand if I need them than need them and have to wait for them to ship.  

The thread chart I refer to says 24 or 25's with 207, 25 or 26 with 277.  YRMV.

Leather thread and needle chart | Thread size chart, Needle and thread, Sewing  thread

Thanks LiftPig. I'll get both just to have them. Like you said. I would hate to get caught with my pants down in the middle of a job/project. 

Thanks.

All you guys with Cobra class 4 machines, How many bobbins do you all keep with your machine? 

Thanks. 

On 3/14/2024 at 5:22 PM, DieselTech said:

Thanks JLS, Is the LL point a diamond shaped needle or is it a triangle pointed needle?

I think I will get some LR needles for bags & such, just for the decorative stitch. 

I think for holsters & sheaths the LL needle would be better suited for them. 

Thanks.

yup. LL is a diamond hole.  I don't much like the "D" of "S" needles, as they make a hole I think is not as strong in teh direction of sewing, and I don't like the way it leaves "space" between stitches.

EDIT TO ADD:  I like a #24 needle, 277 thread on the "top" and 207 on the bottom MOST of the time (I have been known to sew 207/207).  The pics above were #24 needles.

22 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I've heard their customer service & support is good. I'm hoping I never need it thou. 

yes, you certainly are.  I found the service at LMC more hype than reality.  I remember a post about it disappearing, prompting me to ask if advertisers here can get that done for them.  Meh - perhaps it's better now, it's  been a good while since I dealt with them. :dunno:

Edited by JLSleather

11 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

yup. LL is a diamond hole.  I don't much like the "D" of "S" needles, as they make a hole I think is not as strong in teh direction of sewing, and I don't like the way it leaves "space" between stitches.

EDIT TO ADD:  I like a #24 needle, 277 thread on the "top" and 207 on the bottom MOST of the time (I have been known to sew 207/207).  The pics above were #24 needles.

yes, you certainly are.  I found the service at LMC more hype than reality.  I remember a post about it disappearing, prompting me to ask if advertisers here can get that done for them.  Meh - perhaps it's better now, it's  been a good while since I dealt with them. :dunno:

Thanks. The S point needles I want for nylon straps & tarp work. I've read the S point seems to fit the best for that type of work. 

I have also heard, like you say, that their customer service can be lacking. 

On 3/13/2024 at 5:52 PM, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals I have finally saved up enough money for a Cobra Class 4 & ordered 1 Tuesday.

Also ordered Patrick1 accessories just in case they are needed.

I will be using 277 thread top & bottom most of the time. My question is: Does anybody have photos of sewing samples with the different leather point needles? Like the D, S, & LR needle points in a #25needle. 

Also does anyone recommend any wear items/parts or additional accessories, I would like to hear about them.

I have been reading & watching lots of videos on that machine. Do any of you guys & gals reccomend any. I'll take any advice given. 

I am hoping if I run into a bind someone will be willing to help out. 

Thanks. 

Join the Cobra equipment tips and tricks Facebook group, great network for troubleshooting help.

Buy an angled tip oil bottle like this https://allstitch.com/products/deluxe-plastic-oiler-1711

Review The videos Leather Machine Company has as well as Al Banes YouTube videos. Especially learn all lubricating points, there are more than what has red paint markings - like the linkage inside the head.

Enjoy your machine

9 minutes ago, PeterinID said:

Join the Cobra equipment tips and tricks Facebook group, great network for troubleshooting help.

Buy an angled tip oil bottle like this https://allstitch.com/products/deluxe-plastic-oiler-1711

Review The videos Leather Machine Company has as well as Al Banes YouTube videos. Especially learn all lubricating points, there are more than what has red paint markings - like the linkage inside the head.

Enjoy your machine

Thanks. I'll get 1 of them bottles. Do you think a guy should have a syringe oiler as well. 

6 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks kgg. My outlet is set up for a 20amp breaker. So I should be ok. 

Don't forget to look at whatever else is on the circuit. A 20 amp, 120 volt circuit handles 2400 watts MAX, but you also allow 20% for overhead so your continuous MAX would be 1920 watts. National Electric Code defines "Continuous" as 3 hours, I think. Double check me if you get close.

Not to insult your intelligence, but in case you or someone else don't know, here are the formulas:

Watts = Amps * Volts
Amps  = Watts / Volts
Volts = Watts / Amps

2400 watts = 20 amps * 120 volts
20 amps = 2400 watts / 120 volts
120 volts = 2400 watts / 20 amps

10 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Don't forget to look at whatever else is on the circuit. A 20 amp, 120 volt circuit handles 2400 watts MAX, but you also allow 20% for overhead so your continuous MAX would be 1920 watts. National Electric Code defines "Continuous" as 3 hours, I think. Double check me if you get close.

Not to insult your intelligence, but in case you or someone else don't know, here are the formulas:

Watts = Amps * Volts
Amps  = Watts / Volts
Volts = Watts / Amps

2400 watts = 20 amps * 120 volts
20 amps = 2400 watts / 120 volts
120 volts = 2400 watts / 20 amps

Nope no insult here. I knew the formula's being a diesel technician. I think I will just run a dedicated 20amp circuit to the sewing machine. 

Thanks.

I have a class 3, wish I'd bought a 4, but happy none the less. The motor died a few months in, new one free of charge in a few days, running fine for approx 4 years now.

21 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

I knew the formula's being a diesel technician

I did wonder ...

Maybe it'll help someone else one day.

31 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Nope no insult here. I knew the formula's being a diesel technician. I think I will just run a dedicated 20amp circuit to the sewing machine. 

Thanks.

I wouldn't spend money to run a dedicated circuit. I run mine on the same circuit as a deep freezer, a mini fridge, a couple of led shop lights and also a Portable air conditioner running sometimes.

I haven't had any problems. your machine isn't going to pull that much.

5 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

I wouldn't spend money to run a dedicated circuit. I run mine on the same circuit as a deep freezer, a mini fridge, a couple of led shop lights and also a Portable air conditioner running sometimes.

I haven't had any problems. your machine isn't going to pull that much.

Ok thanks. Did you mention that earlier in this thread. Or I might have read it in another thread. 

Bladegrinder what do you use for sewing machine oil? If you dont mind me asking. 

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

I did wonder ...

Maybe it'll help someone else one day.

Also I just recently got a ebike & been playing around with the formulas a bit more than usual.

28 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Ok thanks. Did you mention that earlier in this thread. Or I might have read it in another thread. 

Bladegrinder what do you use for sewing machine oil? If you dont mind me asking. 

Thanks.

A bottle of oil came with mine, yours should too I would think. I did buy some extra off Amazon, I use it around my shop on all kinds of stuff.

12 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

A bottle of oil came with mine, yours should too I would think. I did buy some extra off Amazon, I use it around my shop on all kinds of stuff.

Thanks. I did not know if I should buy some high tech sewing oil or just use what comes with the machine. 

11 hours ago, DieselTech said:

All you guys with Cobra class 4 machines, How many bobbins do you all keep with your machine? 

Thanks. 

I am just a hobbyist and found a 10 pack of extra bobbins was nice to have . I keep 2 each of my popular colors or thread size available , so if you run out or coming close you don't have to stop and go through the winding process. You will need to do some searching to find a reasonable price but I found it was worth a extra dollars. I always have a few if not more empty and  ready to go , so I can do a one off without wasting thread.