SUP

Angled stitches with round stitching holes - how do I do that?

Angled stitches with Diamond chisel or French chisel punched holes are something I can do relatively well now. However, some patterns that I buy have round holes which result in straight stitches. There is one pattern on which I want the stitches to be angled. I do have the correct sized diamond stitching chisels but the pattern is a little complicated and I am concerned that I will punch the pieces in the wrong direction and make a mess of it. I do not have spare leather  of that specific type for corrections.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to get some angle on the stitches when the punched holes are round? I have a vague recollection of a video somewhere that showed how to do it but I can't, for the life of me, find it.

Anyone who knows how to do this, could yo please guide me?

2 minutes ago, SUP said:

I'm wondering if there is a way to get some angle on the stitches when the punched holes are round?

Moved your post to Sewing Leather.  Have you checked this forum?  I think I recall instructions (hopefully here) about getting a nice angle.

@Northmount, thank you. I should have thought of that.

I have but not found anything specifically for angled stitches with round stitching holes. Maybe my search terms need to be better.

Yeah I think I seen that same video. It talks about achieving a angle stitch with round holes. 

But i of course cant think of it as well. 

I do remember it's all about your cast over thread & how you cast it over your needle. Also it talks about the direction the threads are pulled/tightened when pulling up the stitch. 

I think 1 thread needs pulled up high & to the right, while the left thread is pulled down & to the left. 

@DieselTech Yes I remember that it is all about the casting and how to pull the thread. I am still searching. It should be somewhere.

23 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech Yes I remember that it is all about the casting and how to pull the thread. I am still searching. It should be somewhere.

Try this google search without the quotes - "site:leatherworker.net cast stitches angle"

@Northmount Thank you. I'll try that.

Found it!I had it in my collection of videos.  It is a video by Nigel Armitage - at around 8 1/2 minutes.

Edited by SUP

6 hours ago, SUP said:

Found it!I had it in my collection of videos.  It is a video by Nigel Armitage - at around 8 1/2 minutes.

So... I have to give the greatest shoutout to this forum and this thread and SUP and Nigel for a problem I have had for 10 years : nice diagonal stitches on round hole punched items.

Basically -- I am left handed, and come in on initial cast from the left, and always have gone under. All stitching looked like the first few holes Nigel stitched. I decided there was no way to do diagonal stitches with round holes. 

I watched this video and I saw it COULD be done -- so assuming I was doing something wrong that I had been doing since the beginning, and knowing my left handedness might have something to do with it...  I modified my cast to pass the first needle OVER the second needle, then back through for standard knot. 

Voila - perfect diagonal stitches with round hole punches. (Still need to dial in spacing and tension, but primary mechanics are in place!)

Clouds parted, sun shining and a 10 year problem solved. 

20240320_173002.jpg

20240320_173016.jpg

Won't poking a traditional diamond-shaped awl through the round hole help to give you the effect you want?:dunno:

Would make the stitching holes larger, I think. Unless one deliberately punched smaller holes and then used such an awl. And one would need to be pretty exact to ensure the awl is pushed in at the same relative angle, isn't it?

And... simply casing each stitch is faster too. At least for me.

Edited by SUP