Frodo

Holes in leather

I have a sewing machine for leather at times I want  the look of hand stitch At these times I remove the thread from my machine and use it to make my holes, then use my awl as I sew

does anyone else do this?

There's two of us for sure.

Sometimes I use mostly my Tippmann Boss for that . . . as I can EXACTLY  place the stitch where I want it.

Had to do that for a holster last week.  Turned out looking really good . . . at least that was my opinion.

It was for a little FIE .22 revolver . . . and so help me . . . I could easily have made a holster for a S&W 29 . . . 6 inch barrel . . . easier and quicker than that little rascal.

May God bless,

Dwight

My reply is exactly the same as Dwight's. I use my Tippmann Boss hand crank machine and make the holes. I then use a stitch pony and thicker thread and use the saddle stitch method. It works beautifully and gives the precision of a sewing machine but the look of a hand stitch. Basically just listen to Dwight because he is a genius.

That makes four of us!:) I discovered that little trick not long after I started leatherwork, my little machine couldn't sew leather but it could punch little holes. Made my saddlestitching much easier (and neater).

I've thought about it but never actually done it. To me, I just thought it'd be better than all that tedious hole punching!