NatesLeatherGds

precision requirements

Hi All, Doing a project for a customer - 25 of these - precision cuts 220mm long 98 high. Precise 78mm spacing on ring snaps. Free handing the cutting with steel ruler and rotary knife. Lambskin (soft, flexible, squishy). The cuts were perfect straight edges until ring snaps were put in -- they stretch the final edge.

Question is: continue free handing or go in for die cutters? Spec is 2mm wiggle room/tolerances. Just looking for advice or answer to the question -- as poll :

Continue free hand ? Yes / No

Go with dies ? Yes / No

20240327_195040.thumb.jpg.72c10db1e63bda219087e40038003a51.jpg20240327_195009.thumb.jpg.5fc7507815db1bb267d7fc12bae650fc.jpg

Edited by NatesLeatherGds

I think they look fine, knowing what they are for might change my mind. 

The only other thing I could think of is cutting them a touch oversized, then fold & glue the long side length of the sleeve & then stitch it.

I think it would give your project a more finished look. Plus I think it would give it some strength along the button sides of the sleeve. 

I don't see how die cutting is going to change the stretch when the snaps are installed. That sounds like a material problem to me.

Mr. Customer may need to spec different leather.

Edited by AlZilla

9 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

continue free handing or go in for die cutters?

I can see a die cutter would be faster but like @AlZillaI also don't see how that will eliminated the stretch problem. Have you tried a slightly larger hole for the ring snaps and using a lever press???? What are the items going to be used???

kgg

Thanks for the replies. They are for cushioning a headset type item on the forehead. (That's why the soft lambskin.) Wrapping around then snapping together - with some foam glued inside for padding. The stretch is unavoidable me thinks as the ring snaps do a bit of reshaping when they go in. They are not prepunched - they have 5 pronged teeth that bite as they go in.

You could cut oversize, then glue and turn the long edges. That would add substance, slightly reduce stretch and look better.

3 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Wrapping around then snapping together - with some foam glued inside for padding.

Have considered using Velcro rather then the snap???

kgg

I've made something similar for bike riders with long hair.  Their hair got wrapped in one of these after it got braided.  It needed to be a bit stretchy to grip the braid tightly.  I went with snaps because of the thought of hair getting caught up in the velcro and getting damaged.  No everyone is blessed with thick healthy hair.

How about installing the snaps and then cutting them out?  Either individually or in bulk?