MasonLikesLeather

Exacto Knife Question

Are Exacto knives good for leatherworking?

Yes, they have certain uses and I keep a set in my drawer.  They're not great for every cutting purpose, however.  Small, precise cuts like filigree, cutting thin leathers and such they can be good.  But for most cutting I use a heavier knife, which is much easier to control.

I'll bet some of the other responses will say there is no need for exacto knives.  

Edited by TonyV

They work good for thin leathers, under 3oz. If you try to cut thicker leathers its harder to control the blade and you may end up cutting yourself.

I have 3 x-acto handles and usually use the #2 handle for small jobs

I use mine for very fine cuts and for some trimming work. Different blade styles lend themselves to different uses, so there is some utility there. I don’t use them much, but that’s because I use my large round knife for nearly everything. 

I have a couple of Exacto knives, and scalpels. I only use them for trimming finished items

I have several heavy duty knives for cutting the leather. I wouldn't use an Exacto for that

I have a couple of different handle sizes and an assortment of blades but I don't use them much. They are, however, very handy for fine work, as others have mentioned.

@MasonLikesLeather  Exacto knives have their limits but plain box cutters work well. You can keep changing blades, so you will always have a very sharp blade each time - a necessity in leatherwork. I prefer fixed blade ones  because there is not the slightest jiggle as I cut.

6 hours ago, TonyV said:

Yes, they have certain uses and I keep a set in my drawer.  They're not great for every cutting purpose, however.  Small, precise cuts like filigree, cutting thin leathers and such they can be good.  But for most cutting I use a heavier knife, which is much easier to control.

I'll bet some of the other responses will say there is no need for exacto knives.  

Okay! Thanks.

3 hours ago, Mablung said:

I use mine for very fine cuts and for some trimming work. Different blade styles lend themselves to different uses, so there is some utility there. I don’t use them much, but that’s because I use my large round knife for nearly everything. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SUP said:

@MasonLikesLeather  Exacto knives have their limits but plain box cutters work well. You can keep changing blades, so you will always have a very sharp blade each time - a necessity in leatherwork. I prefer fixed blade ones  because there is not the slightest jiggle as I cut.

Okay! You have been a big help lately!

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I have a couple of Exacto knives, and scalpels. I only use them for trimming finished items

I have several heavy duty knives for cutting the leather. I wouldn't use an Exacto for that

Okay! Thank you, man!

6 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

They work good for thin leathers, under 3oz. If you try to cut thicker leathers its harder to control the blade and you may end up cutting yourself.

I have 3 x-acto handles and usually use the #2 handle for small jobs

Thanks!

I have 2 Xacto knives, for lighter leather. I used these for a few years, until I realized that other tools are better suited for some tasks.  

• For instance, I have a craft knife (snap-off blade) and a box cutter, for thick leather, and a rotary cutter which is excellent for soft leathers. The "push" cutting of my rotary cutter really helps me keep straight lines.  
  • I use Tandy's heavy leather shears for some things, especially lighter leathers with complex curves.
  • I have recently been using my Japanese style skiving knife to cut straight lines and trim corners, after watching many videos of people doing that. And to skive with, of course! But not all leathers-- some I skive with my French skiver. I don't even know where my Safety skiver is at the moment, since I don't use it anymore. 

Most people have a variety of knives for different purposes! It really depends on the project.

Probably just as important, though, are the following:

1.  Keep the knives sharp! Before starting a new project, replace or sharpen the blades. Learn how to sharpen a blade and how (and how often) to use a strop--it really makes a difference!
  2.  Have a good cutting mat underneath. Cutting mats with grid lines are very useful for making sure lines are parallel.
  3.  For straight lines, use a metal ruler to guide your cuts. A cork-backed ruler is what I use.

But don't go out and buy all the knives right away! 

Edited by DJole

@MasonLikesLeather These days I use mainly a box cutter and a round knife for cutting leather. A round knife works very well for curves. It take just a little bit of practice but is worth it because of the ease with which you can cut beautiful curves. That will come a little later though, unless you want to make anything with curves right at the start. Do check on this forum before you buy one though.

As @DJole says, a strop as well. I forgot that earlier. I made mine, initially with a strong piece of cardboard onto which I stuck an old leather belt and rubbed jeweler's rouge on. Since then, I've cut a piece of leather to make one.

59 minutes ago, SUP said:

@MasonLikesLeather These days I use mainly a box cutter and a round knife for cutting leather. A round knife works very well for curves. It take just a little bit of practice but is worth it because of the ease with which you can cut beautiful curves. That will come a little later though, unless you want to make anything with curves right at the start. Do check on this forum before you buy one though.

As @DJole says, a strop as well. I forgot that earlier. I made mine, initially with a strong piece of cardboard onto which I stuck an old leather belt and rubbed jeweler's rouge on. Since then, I've cut a piece of leather to make one.

Okay!

4 hours ago, DJole said:

I have 2 Xacto knives, for lighter leather. I used these for a few years, until I realized that other tools are better suited for some tasks.  

• For instance, I have a craft knife (snap-off blade) and a box cutter, for thick leather, and a rotary cutter which is excellent for soft leathers. The "push" cutting of my rotary cutter really helps me keep straight lines.  
  • I use Tandy's heavy leather shears for some things, especially lighter leathers with complex curves.
  • I have recently been using my Japanese style skiving knife to cut straight lines and trim corners, after watching many videos of people doing that. And to skive with, of course! But not all leathers-- some I skive with my French skiver. I don't even know where my Safety skiver is at the moment, since I don't use it anymore. 

Most people have a variety of knives for different purposes! It really depends on the project.

Probably just as important, though, are the following:

1.  Keep the knives sharp! Before starting a new project, replace or sharpen the blades. Learn how to sharpen a blade and how (and how often) to use a strop--it really makes a difference!
  2.  Have a good cutting mat underneath. Cutting mats with grid lines are very useful for making sure lines are parallel.
  3.  For straight lines, use a metal ruler to guide your cuts. A cork-backed ruler is what I use.

But don't go out and buy all the knives right away! 

Thanks!

Here's thread started in Sept about knives.

3 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

Here's thread started in Sept about knives.

Okay, thanks!