Pinto

Can a Singer 31-19 industrial Walking Foot Sewing Machine sew thick leather such as gunbelta and holsters

I am able to get a Singer 31-19 industrial Walking Foot Sewing Machine and was wondwering if this is a good enough machine for making gunbelts and holster?

Anyone have anyider how thick of veg-tan leather you can sew with this machine. I can also get a Consew 255 RB single walking foot but it is more expensive. Which would be the better machine for what I want to do.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

25 minutes ago, Pinto said:

Which would be the better machine for what I want to do.

The Singer 31-19 was the forerunner to the walking foot, it has been mostly referred to as kick foot or trailing foot machine. The short answer to your question is NO.

26 minutes ago, Pinto said:

Which would be the better machine for what I want to do.

Neither machine as you really need a Class 441 machine for holsters that can handle thread above V207.

kgg

58 minutes ago, kgg said:

The Singer 31-19 was the forerunner to the walking foot, it has been mostly referred to as kick foot or trailing foot machine. The short answer to your question is NO.

Neither machine as you really need a Class 441 machine for holsters that can handle thread above V207.

kgg

Thanks I appreciate the information Kgg

Pinto . . .  just a suggestion . . . 24 years ago . . . I bought a Tippmann Boss . . . used it for holsters, knife sheaths, belts, wallets . . . and whatever until 4 years ago . . . replaced it with a cowboy 4500.

The Boss is a good place to start . . . find out what you really want to do . . . and will get you going.

Good used ones can be had for 800 or so . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I second Dwight's motion.  I currently have a boss and can say that it sews through 2 8 oz pieces of stacked leather.  Granted it is fueled by elbow grease however it will get the job done.  

thanks guys. I make a variety of products. I have a machine for the thinner stuff like wallets , passport covers and such.

I also do gun belts (2 layers of 7 oz) and holsters (3 layer of 6-7oz with the welt) which I have hand sewn until now.

Of course I would like to look for something in the lower price range since I am just strating to thick of machine sewn products.

I would like to see if this is going to do well before I spend big $$

I hope that is enough information

Unfortunately (for you) as kgg said you will need a 441-class machine to do those gunbelts and holsters. It's not just the ability to handle thicker thread - #277 minimum - but the sheer power to punch a heavy needle through the leather and the increased clearance under the feet that is needed. 

The only other option is a "one-armed- bandit" as has also been discussed.

20 hours ago, Pinto said:

thanks guys. I make a variety of products. I have a machine for the thinner stuff like wallets , passport covers and such.

I also do gun belts (2 layers of 7 oz) and holsters (3 layer of 6-7oz with the welt) which I have hand sewn until now.

Of course I would like to look for something in the lower price range since I am just strating to thick of machine sewn products.

I would like to see if this is going to do well before I spend big $$

I hope that is enough information

@Pinto

I once was where you're at, with sewing machine decisions. When I started making leather goods for myself, I bought the wrong machines twice in a row. I changed dealers at that point and talked to a more knowledgeable dealer. He sold me what looked like a monster machine, a Singer 132k6. It sewed the holster jobs I had lines up, but not with much ease. When I told him about it's shortcomings, he told me to look for a harness stitcher. I did and eventually bought one fickle ancient Union Lockstitch machine, then another (I invented new swear words), and finally, a Cowboy cb4500. The Cowboy sews thick leather with huge needles and large diameter thread (346+). It is pretty much hassle free and has accessories that make it easier to sew certain jobs that a flat bed machine can't handle.

I have operated the hand cranked machines and my arm got tired really fast. And, that was in my younger days!

You say you want to get in under big dollars and are probably sewing 3/8 of an inch (24 ounces). With that in mind, I recommend the Cowboy cb3200. It can sew up to 1/2 inch (32 ounces) of holster leather, with #346 bonded nylon thread that the Jolly Green Giant uses to slide down from his hut in the clouds. To do this requires a #26 needle, which closely resembles a roofing needle in diameter! It costs much less than the cb4500, and uses the same huge bobbins and needles.

Is there a difference between a Cowboy 4500 and a Cobra Class 4?

Does one have an advantage over the other?

I am also ready to purchase a Machine, but I do not see any used machines on the market for sewing Leather up to the 7/8 inch thickness. Most of my projects are 1/4 to 3/8 in. But I have had some thicker and want that added capability for Bridle and Breast collar work and repair.

I enjoy hand stitch, but would like to spend more time building than stitching.

I hope this is an appropriate place for this question. If not I apologize.

Edited by whistleshortbritches

The Cowboy and Cobra are pretty similar. My choice was the Cobra only because the seller was local enough to pick it up and avoid the freight charge, which saved me $350.

They come up for sale from time to time here on the forum's marketplace. Rarely under $3k but it does happen.

18 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

The Cowboy and Cobra are pretty similar. My choice was the Cobra only because the seller was local enough to pick it up and avoid the freight charge, which saved me $350.

They come up for sale from time to time here on the forum's marketplace. Rarely under $3k but it does happen.

what size Cobra do you have?

That is what is available in my area is Cobra, shipping cost as much as a machine. I would drive to pickup a used one, but I never see one for sale. Found a ton of Sold machines.

can't seem to find the for sale area hear at leathernet yet either. Found some posts but no general for sale area.

I have a Cobra 4

The Marketplace is on the main page and you have to scroll down about half way.

Looks like this on my phone

Screenshot_20240716_190926_Brave.thumb.jpg.d21723a55858afd538270e3eb3336b3a.jpg

This is the link for the sewing machine section in "Items for sale" section.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/82-machinery-sewing-and-stitching/

You could also try places like ebay or FB marketplace